Grade school science scores improving

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/200...ce-scores_x.htm

This study suggests improvement in the overall test scores for grade school age kids. But is it because the bar is being lowered or elevated? Anyone here know anything about these so called tests that can weigh in?

IMO, science will never be elevated in the minds of people in this county until kids that are good in math and science are not labeled as "nerds" and as long as we place more value in athletics...

If you want a gauranteed job, be paid well, and be useful--go into the sciences. Never met a starving engineer.

697809[/snapback]

Interesting point.

At my company, engineers are priced and valued twice what a chemist is...

Interesting point.

At my company, engineers are priced and valued twice what a chemist is...

698522[/snapback]

What are the Sociology majors priced at? I bet scrubbing the toilets in the engineers/chemist's bathroom gives them a great understanding of income inequity between the haves and the have not

What are the Sociology majors priced at?  I bet scrubbing the toilets in the engineers/chemist's bathroom gives them a great understanding of income inequity between the haves and the have not

698562[/snapback]

We all make choices. Get an easy degree in something that really has no marketable benefit and you live with the decision.

We all make choices.  Get an easy degree in something that really has no marketable benefit and you live with the decision.

698595[/snapback]

It's all relative.

I studied my fuggin @zzhole off in school to get my degrees. My buddies all partied and blew off class. They were business majors. They all make much more than I do at this point.

Difference is, I can get a job pretty much anywhere. Guys in thier position are lucky to have jobs, can be downsized at anytime, and have saturated the market...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/200...ce-scores_x.htm

This study suggests improvement in the overall test scores for grade school age kids. But is it because the bar is being lowered or elevated? Anyone here know anything about these so called tests that can weigh in?

IMO, science will never be elevated in the minds of people in this county until kids that are good in math and science are not labeled as "nerds" and as long as we place more value in athletics...

697110[/snapback]

I think the solution to this problem is to teach Intelligent Design... <_<

It's all relative.

I studied my fuggin @zzhole off in school to get my degrees. My buddies all partied and blew off class. They were business majors. They all make much more than I do at this point.

Difference is, I can get a job pretty much anywhere. Guys in thier position are lucky to have jobs, can be downsized at anytime, and have saturated the market...

698757[/snapback]

Depends where. A lot of guys I went to high school with ended up in engineering and found jobs in the US. Actually one of my good friends found a job in North Dakota and is getting paid very well.

On the other hand, those who majored in business and finance are able to stay in their current location and get paid rather well.

I don't know why anyone would wanna move to North Dakota.

So to will those nicely paid engineers... :lol:  :D

Then and only then all will start to pitch a B word...

699553[/snapback]

As this thread has been hijacked big time, I might as well go with the flow.

The outsourcing boom is not actually a terrible thing. Most of the work that gets done there would not be done by the US companies AT ALL if they were priced with local US labor. I think our day-to-day life is much better off as our companies are getting a lot more done with less resources. So you are more likely to get a human voice quicker when you dial a customer service number; your websites will be upgraded and featured faster etc. Conceivably, several years from now, wages in these countries will catch up those in Western countries and work will begin to get done locally again. It may take a while but it is very likely to happen.

Second point is that in oil and gas construction companies in the US, there are engineering, drafting, estimating etc. positions going unfilled as there is a shortage of qualified people here in the US !!! Where did they all go ? They retired early or were downsized and left the profession in the mid to late 90s. So the current shortage is the fault of both employers who were quick to axe and of the student advisors who advised prospective students to not enter the technical (read: engineering) profession. A large outflow and reduced inflow resulted in a shrinking engineering labor pool. So if you want to not fall short of electricity in summer of 2007, how will the construction company build a power plant ? Get engineering design done in India/China and build it in time to avoid problems.

Bottomline, everybody reaps what they sow.

Hope I did not make this confusing.