One of the top 100 classic moments in

It has been 30-years (April 25, 1976) since former United States Marine and then-Chicago Cubs outfielder Rick Monday saved the American flag from being burned by two protestors at Dodger Stadium... a moment that was named one of the top 100 classic moments in baseball history by the National Baseball Hall of Fame committee.

Rick Monday saves the flag

Just read an article on that not long ago. In it Monday says that not many days go by when he isn't thanked by someone for that one act. As they say,

Enjoy your freedom of speech? Thank a vet.

Enjoy your freedom of religion? Thank a vet.

Enjoy your right to vote? Thank a vet.

It has been 30-years (April 25, 1976) since former United States Marine and then-Chicago Cubs outfielder Rick Monday saved the American flag from being burned by two protestors at Dodger Stadium... a moment that was named one of the top 100 classic moments in baseball history by the National Baseball Hall of Fame committee.

Rick Monday saves the flag

696986[/snapback]

i don't know what is on the file you provided because i wasn't able to open it, so i polked around a little and found this:

Vin Scully call of Rick Monday saving the flag

My arms just broke out with goose bumps!

Just read an article on that not long ago.  In it Monday says that not many days go by when he isn't thanked by someone for that one act.  As they say,

Enjoy your freedom of speech?  Thank a vet.

696990[/snapback]

The irony being, Rick Monday fought to protect freedom of speech as a Marine, then inhibited it as a ball player. :lol:

Sorry...but if you want true freedom of speech, you have to allow people to burn the flag. Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite, and therefore eminently qualified for public office...

The irony being, Rick Monday fought to protect freedom of speech as a Marine, then inhibited it as a ball player.  :)

697071[/snapback]

They're rights were inhibited by Monday?

Maybe they should have picked a better place to burn the flag, rather than a MLB outfield. :lol:

The irony being, Rick Monday fought to protect freedom of speech as a Marine, then inhibited it as a ball player.  :lol:

Sorry...but if you want true freedom of speech, you have to allow people to burn the flag.  Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite, and therefore eminently qualified for public office...

697071[/snapback]

Actually he asserted his right to protest the protest. He did not put them under citizen's arrest for flag burning, he did not even lay a hand on the protesters, he just made a "counter-statement," and a legal one at that. If one wants to say he 'stole the flag' from the protesters, it's technically not true. Anything that is put on the ball field is subject to be held by the team, whether thrown there from the stands or placed there by a trespasser.

The irony being, Rick Monday fought to protect freedom of speech as a Marine, then inhibited it as a ball player.  :lol:

Sorry...but if you want true freedom of speech, you have to allow people to burn the flag.  Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite, and therefore eminently qualified for public office...

697071[/snapback]

i hate saying it, but i agree that burning the flag should be allowed under "free speech", ....but i also applaud Rick Monday for stepping up and preventing it from happening. if that is hypocritcal...then so be it.

Actually he asserted his right to protest the protest.  He did not put them under citizen's arrest for flag burning, he did not even lay a hand on the protesters, he just made a "counter-statement," and a legal one at that.  If one wants to say he 'stole the flag' from the protesters, it's technically not true.  Anything that is put on the ball field is subject to be held by the team, whether thrown there from the stands or placed there by a trespasser.

697086[/snapback]

So is the issue that the protesters were burning the flag, or that they were on the field?

Because until now, everyone's been talking about how he stopped people from "burning the flag". Suddenly, you're making it about them being on the field. And while I agree that they should have been stopped and removed from the field for being on the field...isn't this just a transparent bait-and-switch? "Well...burning the flag isn't really the issue...it's being on the field..."

And what the hell? You're more liberal than I am? Why am I arguing the liberal side of this discussion against you? :lol:

So is the issue that the protesters were burning the flag, or that they were on the field? 

Because until now, everyone's been talking about how he stopped people from "burning the flag".  Suddenly, you're making it about them being on the field.  And while I agree that they should have been stopped and removed from the field for being on the field...isn't this just a transparent bait-and-switch?  "Well...burning the flag isn't really the issue...it's being on the field..."

And what the hell?  You're more liberal than I am?  Why am I arguing the liberal side of this discussion against you?  :lol:

697094[/snapback]

Monday's intentions had nothing to do with whether he felt the flag burning was a legal form of free speech or not, it had to do with expressing his opinion on whether it was morally right. Is that not also free speech? Is there a "right of way" clause in the 1st Amendment that says that acts of protest, once started, must not be interrupted, that the protester has some sort of virtual conch shell? His move is no different than pro choice protesters trying to shout down anti-abortion protesters from across a fence. You can't give people the right to burn flags without also giving people the right to legally protest flag burnings...

My point about them being on the field, etc, had only to do with someone coming out and saying "well, gee, free speech doesn't give you the right to steal, and he stole the flag from two citizens, so it was an act of supressing free speech rather than asserting his own free speech." I was just saying that technically he had a legal right to take that flag.

Some things are simply repugnant, and laws, or interpretations thereof will not prevent    action.

Sometimes, things just come down to the words of Popeye - "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more".

697142[/snapback]

"Freedom of non-repugnant speech."

But then, I've come to expect such stupidity from you...

Monday's intentions had nothing to do with whether he felt the flag burning was a legal form of free speech or not, it had to do with expressing his opinion on whether it was morally right.  Is that not also free speech?  Is there a "right of way" clause in the 1st Amendment that says that acts of protest, once started, must not be interrupted, that the protester has some sort of virtual conch shell?  His move is no different than pro choice protesters trying to shout down anti-abortion protesters from across a fence.  You can't give people the right to burn flags without also giving people the right to legally protest flag burnings...

My point about them being on the field, etc, had only to do with someone coming out and saying "well, gee, free speech doesn't give you the right to steal, and he stole the flag from two citizens, so it was an act of supressing free speech rather than asserting his own free speech."  I was just saying that technically he had a legal right to take that flag.

697129[/snapback]

Bingo.

I've never seen or heard of this incident before. You gotta love Vin Scully with the call! :lol:

Because until now, everyone's been talking about how he stopped people from "burning the flag".  Suddenly, you're making it about them being on the field.  And while I agree that they should have been stopped and removed from the field for being on the field...isn't this just a transparent bait-and-switch?  "Well...burning the flag isn't really the issue...it's being on the field..."

And what the hell?  You're more liberal than I am?  Why am I arguing the liberal side of this discussion against you?  :lol:

697094[/snapback]

As abhorrent as I do find the act, it is the right of a citizen to protest with a flag burning. But, yes, the place does make a difference. The 'fan' broke the law, Monday stopped him before he could burn the flag. I choose to celebrate Monday's freedom of choice in saving the flag.

Bingo.

I've never seen or heard of this incident before.  You gotta love Vin Scully with the call!  <_<

697255[/snapback]

And these dudes are still doing the games in LA. You really can't beat Vin Scully calling a Dodger game as a way to end insomnia. The dude rattles off virtually anything he can to fill in the holes.

The irony being, Rick Monday fought to protect freedom of speech as a Marine, then inhibited it as a ball player.  :P

697071[/snapback]

I have no problem with people burning the flag as long as they have no problem with me using my 2nd amendment right and putting a round in their head. <_<

And these dudes are still doing the games in LA. You really can't beat Vin Scully calling a Dodger game as a way to end insomnia. The dude rattles off virtually anything he can to fill in the holes.

697420[/snapback]

Perhaps I'm not the only sports fan that despises listening to Scully. I know he is revered by BBall fans everywhere...but I can't stand to listen to him. His "statistics" drive me up the wall:

"Joe Blow here is batting .325, but against 6'2" Lefthanders in Daytime games on Tuesdays he's a whopping .375."

I got an idea, Vin...STFU. That is not a helpful statistic...tht's just prattle.

"Joe Blow here is batting .325, but against 6'2" Lefthanders in Daytime games on Tuesdays he's a whopping .375."

697431[/snapback]

<_<:P:P That's him in a nutshell. He spent 10 minutes one game discussing how the uniform pants today are nothing like they used to be, or some such schit.

The games are broadcast here on 980 AM, which is about the only radio station I listen to. It's just news updates all day for sports, weather, traffic, etc. So if the Dodger game is on, I just leave it on and I swear I can fall asleep behind the wheel while he rattles off some of his gems.