Football stories

I'm having a slow day at work, and having done some admin for my football team here I am in a mood for some good football stories.

If you played football at any level, why not write it down and tell everyone about it? Victories, losses, injuries, great blocks, catches, runs, passes, tackles... anything. So who's got good football stories?

I remember one opening game (football)... In highschool, I think it was Jamestown... We kicked off and the returner blew by our whole team for a TD... :lol:;)

Should I mention, I NEVER played special teams again... :lol::) Man, they were hungry!... I still got the image of this "high motor", smallish kid smearing me all 35 yard line in my head over 20 years later... ;):lol:

I don't know what they were feeding them down in the southern tier, but they were intense! Must have been that long bus ride up!

;);)

I'm having a slow day at work, and having done some admin for my football team here I am in a mood for some good football stories.

If you played football at any level, why not write it down and tell everyone about it? Victories, losses, injuries, great blocks, catches, runs, passes, tackles... anything. So who's got good football stories?

696937[/snapback]

When I was a little kid (Pop Warner type league) I got clipped and it got us a first down. I was so proud. :)

Are you really large enought to be OL? :lol:

I remember my first score like it was yesterday. I was playing left wing. The center pushed the ball out my way as we approached their goal. My intent was to get the ball in front of the net so a teammate could head it in. Oddly enough, I struck the ball just right, it made the perfect banana curve, and caught the upper left hand corner of the goal for the score.

Oh, wait. Football. Got it. You folks from England are so weird about your football.

Never played, but I met a guy who once coached high school football.

There was a kid we used to call Debo who was built like a brick shithouse. We were doing tackling drills and I tackled Debo hard and got a stinger. I could not move my left arm for about 10 minutes. I got back into tackling line, didnt say anything to the coach and hoped to God I did not have to tackle Debo again the next goaround. I counted the people ahead of me in tackling line and Debos position in the running line- I lucked out and missed Debo by 1. There was a much smaller RB who I pummelled with one shoulder(I still could not move my other arm).

There was a kid we used to call Debo who was built like a brick shithouse.  We were doing tackling drills and I tackled Debo hard and got a stinger.  I could not move my left arm for about 10 minutes.  I got back into tackling line, didnt say anything to the coach and hoped to God I did not have to tackle Debo again the next goaround.  I counted the people ahead of me in tackling line and Debos position in the running line- I lucked out and missed Debo by 1.  There was a much smaller RB who I pummelled with one shoulder(I still could not move my other arm).

697011[/snapback]

Just curious: after you tackled him and got your stinger, did he stand over you and say "You can never break me. I am not man. I am DEBO."

My rather dubious highlight, is that I completed a pass!

I played one yr of semi-pro & was a punter.

I'm rolling left (I'm left-handed), being chased, just b4 I'm about to be tackled, while still on the run, I throw a perfect pass to someone that has about 1/2 step on the coverage guy. Presumably (I never saw it as my face was in the turf), the guy gets immediately tackled for about an 8 yard gain!

The bad news is that it was 4th & 13 AND I was running for my life cuz I dropped a perfect snap. :lol:

Midget Football: We ran a T-formation where the QB would pitch to me and I'd hand-off to the "fast kid". This was very successful one game and the fast kid was probably averaging 30 yards/carry. Coach says, "Let's switch it up. Hops - fake the reverse and keep it yourself. They'll take off after FK, so you should have clear sailing." Nope. About 6 guys tackled me for a 10 yard loss.

Shortly thereafter, my dad got me a used set of golf clubs.

Yah know what? The most I have ever advanced the ball in 12 years of playing football is 6 yards. In fact tat's my total too. It was a fumble recovery.

Rock - i'm not really big enough to play OL - but I used to be, and by the time I got too small to play OL I had played it so long I can be pretty useful... Put it this way - I'm starting ahead of a ton of guys are are OL sizzed guys.

One time, Freshman or Sophomore year of high school, our JV team is playing against a much more athletic team. That year, due to a lack of turnout, our varsity team was barely able to get enough guys to put together a squad, so our JV had something like 18 players, with several playing both offense and defense.

By halftime, our only running backs (2 or 3) had all been injured - ankles, MCL/ACL, etc., so we were doing absolutely nothing on offense.

With the score something like 30/40-0 at halftime, our coach asked us "who here wants to play the 2nd half"...which was responded by most of us staring at the ground and/or mumbling. He then asked "who here wants to get on the bus and go home"...which resulted in about 90% of us raising our hands.

The coach threw his hat on the ground and walked off...quitting right there on the spot. The assistant stepped up, gave us a pep talk, and we went out to lose the game.

From that point forward, for the rest of the season, we went undefeated - something like 8-2 overall. I think we did it just to spite the !@#$ that had been our head coach.

By the way, as the starting center, I also had the opportunity to play fullback and kick returner that game, due to the injuries to the "skilled" guys.

By the way, as the starting center, I also had the opportunity to play fullback and kick returner that game, due to the injuries to the "skilled" guys.

697115[/snapback]

"Udonkey snaps the football, the QB drops back... Udonkey wheels around sprints backwards towards the QB, recieves the hand off and heads back to where he cam from on a dive play!"

:lol:

One year our Free Safety got injured on a play that ended with us backed up on our goalline. To account for the injury our Head Coach told our biggest, fattest, slowest lineman to go in - he was replacing the safety cos he's injured and we're down on the goalline.

Coach looks away...

At the snap of the ball Coach looks back to see Big Fat Belly Boy stooped over like a DB, 8 yards deep in the endzone. Playing safety. They ran a sneak for the score right over the centre... :|

In peewee football (I was about 10 or 11 - again playing center), we had a play that we'd run in practice simply called "gold". Instead of snapping it, I would simply pick the ball up, tuck it, and run right up the gut.

The one time we ran it, I got about a 15-20 yard gain, then after the whistle was blown and the play was dead, one of my buddies playing DB came and hit me in the back as I was getting up. Something blew up in my head, I threw him down, and started beating him mercilessly. The best part is that the coaches stood around and laughed and didn't pull me off for quite a while.

:lol:

High school senior year, playing MLB intercepted a pass and was on my way to the endzone. Ran about 30 yards and there in front of me was a 5'4'' 110 pound WR (dont really know why he was on the field, really small kid). Anyway, I was thinking "run him over and score". Needless to say, ran him over but he hung on to my "coat tails", trips me and I fall on the 3 yard line. Never did score a TD in my career (midget, jv, varsity, college). Man that sucked. Should have ran around him. Haunts me to this day. :lol:

In my college frat we had an annual brothers v. pledges tackle game. I probably weighed about 125 lbs at the time and growing up I was used to being the lightest kid on the field and learned how to stay out of harm's way. So my junior year I was playing CB and the pledges run a sweep to a kid I was pretty good friends with. So the D strings out the play all the way to the sideline, blockers picking up every guy from the interior out, leaving only me at the end of the line as the RB is turning the corner upfield. Well, he had a good 25-30 pounds on me and I'm no big hitter, but somehow I stepped into him perfectly, delivering a shoulder square in his chest and sending him off his feet and backwards on his ass. Highlight of the game....my best (and probably only) great hit on a football field this side of being 12 years old. :lol:

One of the best moments for me was in HS football. I went to Canisius High, and every year we were able to play a game at the Ralph (along with Timon, St. Francis and St. Joe's). We got to play where the 4x AFC champs played. It was absolutely incredible. I remember the turf was bouncy, which suprised me.

We played Joe's at the Ralph (then called Rich Stadium) my senior year. Biggest rivalry we had. I was playing QB (only got to play S the year before, as I was 2nd on the QB depth chart my junior year). Well I was able to "lead" a drive in the 1st half, featuring two awful passes by me and several good runs from our RBs. We were on the 19, facing the tunnel end zone, 4th and 7. I threw the best pass of my life, on an out toward the corner end zone, the receiver had two steps....TD. We briefly led 9-3, after botching the xtra point. We proceeded to lose the game 24-12, but that pass will always be with me.