The Detroit Lions released DT Dan Wilkinson.

He clogged up the middle alot and DT Shaun Rogers and him made quite a tandem. Could he make a difference for us in stopping the run? I noticed that Jauron does seem to favor these older guys in the NFC North. I wonder if he knew that Wilkinson was going to be a casualty and figured that he could add him to his mix of young DTs.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right but the little bit that I read said that they wanted to give 3 of their young DTs a chance to step up and see what they can do. I don't think adding Wilkinson to the mix would be a bad move, even if he was only used in a rotation. Most of our guys are young and inexperienced. It would be good to have some veteran leadership. Millen stated that Wilkinson was a good locker room guy who always gave good effort and didn't miss games.

Something is definitely up in how Jauron/Fewell are going to work the DL in our Cover 2. The max weight of the 4 DTs on our depth chart is Anderson at 304. Jauron actually ran the cover 2 with Big Ted as his nose tackle so having a big guy is not anthema to the way he ran it.

However, I suspect that we are going to see a very different cover 2 from the one Jauron ran in Chicago and we'll just have to see. If we signed Wilkinson it would tell us alot.

You may be right but the little bit that I read said that they wanted to give 3 of their young DTs a chance to step up and see what they can do. I don't think adding Wilkinson to the mix would be a bad move, even if he was only used in a rotation. Most of our guys are young and inexperienced. It would be good to have some veteran leadership. Millen stated that Wilkinson was a good locker room guy who always gave good effort and didn't miss games.

696231[/snapback]

He was a bad locker room guy during his 4 years in Cincinnati. The former #1 overall pick of 1994 got it from the fans due to lack of sacks (which was dumb - DT sacks are nice, but incidental to the task at hand). He responded by publically calling everybody in town a racist. He's since recanted, blaming in on youth.

I thought he was a good player - put decent pressure on the pass game, and was tough against the run. His exit was notable - except for the couple of good years Oliver Gibson gave them, the B'gals have been soft up the middle.

Dan Wilkinson released by Lions

I always thought he was really overrated but he might be a guy that DJ would bring in to show the ropes to some of the young DT's on the Bills line.

696413[/snapback]

My mate's a Lion fan and he was pi$$ed off that he was released as he reckons he was a big reason for the success of Shaun Rogers in the interior of their line.

I don't know though. At 6'4" and 350lb wouldn't it have been easier to have just drafted Ngata than hope a similar sized vet would "fall" out of contract. It just doesn't seem to be a Levy trait as a manager. He seems to identify his target and pull the trigger kind of guy, not intent on hoping thinks fall his way. My Lion mate said that Wilkinson is more than likely retiring. I mean, we don't even know his 40 time or wonderlink score :lol:

i'd be *very* happy if the bills went after him. he's a lot better than his rep, which isn't great mainly because he's never lived up to the rarified status of being drafted #1 overall.

he's played 12 years and rarely ever gets hurt. he's also only 33 -- a good bit younger than some of the other portly pluggers still playing:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4512

Something is definitely up in how Jauron/Fewell are going to work the DL in our Cover 2.  The max weight of the 4 DTs on our depth chart is Anderson at 304.  Jauron actually ran the cover 2 with Big Ted as his nose tackle so having a big guy is not anthema to the way he ran it.

However, I suspect that we are going to see a very different cover 2 from the one Jauron ran in Chicago and we'll just have to see. If we signed Wilkinson it would tell us alot.

696241[/snapback]

but they tried to sign ryan pickett, who is really about 320.

My God!! We can't all be stuck on "stupid". Why is that that everytime an NFL starter is released, it immediately triggers some brain waive in a "waller" that automatically envisions the released player in a Bills uniform?

Wilkinson is a lazy, fat, marginal one or two down player that has underachieved at every level he's played... even at Ohio State. Rod Marinelli, the Lions coach... who knows a thing or two about running the cover two, thinks so much of Big Daddy and his fit into Detroit's scheme that he kicked him to the curb. So, why even bring up the possibility of this guy playing for the Bills.

My God!!  We can't all be stuck on "stupid".  Why is that that everytime an NFL starter is released, it immediately triggers some brain waive in a "waller" that automatically envisions the released player in a Bills uniform?

Wilkinson is a lazy, fat, marginal one or two down player that has underachieved at every level he's played... even at Ohio State.  Rod Marinelli, the Lions coach... who knows a thing or two about running the cover two, thinks so much of Big Daddy and his fit into Detroit's scheme that he kicked him to the curb.  So, why even bring up the possibility of this guy playing for the Bills.

696451[/snapback]

Its not out the realm of possiblity.....settle down big boy.....its a legitimate question in my book.

My God!!  We can't all be stuck on "stupid".  Why is that that everytime an NFL starter is released, it immediately triggers some brain waive in a "waller" that automatically envisions the released player in a Bills uniform?

696451[/snapback]

ain't that the "throoth"? :lol: