Laviolette: "Sabres a bunch of divers"

If it wasn't for their god awful work habits earlier... They wopuld have won the game.

696237[/snapback]

Your love for the Sabres is admirable, and hopefully they'll win it for you. However, if you think the Sabres had any chance to win this game, well, all I can say is wow.

They were.....

Out hit tonight...

Out hustled tonight....

Out skated tonight.....

Out worked on the boards.....

Lost every key face-off to Brind A'mour.....

And they let Carolina set the pace of the hockey game.....

If you think the #2 seed in the conference only wins a hockey game this way because Buffalo let them do it, well......you're in for a shock should the Canes win this series. The Canes impose their will on a lot of teams, including Buffalo. It just isn't as flashy as when Buffalo is able to do it.

If you think turning up the offense is the only key to winning a series or looking good, then you haven't learned a valuable lesson that the Sabres just taught to Ottawa about a week ago.

I don't disagree.  I'm just saying by the same token, you can't say Carolina clearly "won" period 3 of the last game when it was pretty even up until a late 6-on-4 scrum.  The Sabres also controlled the 1st half of the opening period in tonights game.

696249[/snapback]

Yeah, kind of true. I still think Carolina has royally outplayed Buffalo to this point. I think anyone objectively can see that. As for the first part of the first period, Carolina had alot of good scoring chances, and the Sabres seemed to skate better early and control the puck better.

However, your point well taken........I was impressed tonight when Carolina came out smoking and Buffalo withstood the heat nicely early and seemed to actually control the puck well in their attack zone for about 10 minutes.

When the Sabres were able to withstand that initial Carolina rush, and look pretty decent early, I was seriously thinking.......man, the Sabres just might be OK here. And then it seemed to fall apart from about the 11 minute mark on.

Your love for the Sabres is admirable, and hopefully they'll win it for you.  However, if you think the Sabres had any chance to win this game, well, all I can say is wow.

They were.....

Out hit tonight...

Out hustled tonight....

Out skated tonight.....

Out worked on the boards.....

Lost every key face-off to Brind A'mour.....

And they let Carolina set the pace of the hockey game.....

If you think the #2 seed in the conference only wins a hockey game this way because Buffalo let them do it, well......you're in for a shock should the Canes win this series.  The Canes impose their will on a lot of teams, including Buffalo.  It just isn't as flashy as when Buffalo is able to do it.

If you think turning up the offense is the only key to winning a series or looking good, then you haven't learned a valuable lesson that the Sabres just taught to Ottawa about a week ago.

696251[/snapback]

Some of that is true... Buffalo coasted... And paid. Another 5 miutes and that game would have been tied... I know, I know the game is 60 miutes... Buffalo's mistake.

No will was imposed on them... The Sabres quit skating... Even the 'Cane player commented on it during the game... They didn't want it till it was too late.

I am not tlaking about turning up the O... I am talking about playing with heart and energy...

Some of that is true... Buffalo coasted... And paid.  Another 5 miutes and that game would have been tied... I know, I know the game is 60 miutes... Buffalo's mistake.

No will was imposed on them... The Sabres quit skating...  Even the 'Cane player commented on it during the game... They didn't want it till it was too late.

I am not tlaking about turning up the O... I am talking about playing with heart and energy...

696258[/snapback]

You must mean the same heart and energy that Carolina quit playing with at the end of the game when they "handed" Buffalo their last two goals.

Cmon man, give up tonight. The Sabres will see better days......today however, they got schooled all night. If they added two more periods to the game tonight, the Canes would have been up 9-3, and maybe would've given Buffalo two more goals at the end of the 5th to make it 9-5.

You got smoked. It will be better in game 3. The team that gets smoked almost always comes back and wins, or plays 500% better in the next one.

You're in good shape. 1-1, coming off of a bad game, and coming back home. Have faith.

Yeah, kind of true.  I still think Carolina has royally outplayed Buffalo to this point.  I think anyone objectively can see that.  As for the first part of the first period, Carolina had alot of good scoring chances, and the Sabres seemed to skate better early and control the puck better.

However, your point well taken........I was impressed tonight when Carolina came out smoking and Buffalo withstood the heat nicely early and seemed to actually control the puck well in their attack zone for about 10 minutes.

When the Sabres were able to withstand that initial Carolina rush, and look pretty decent early, I was seriously thinking.......man, the Sabres just might be OK here.  And then it seemed to fall apart from about the 11 minute mark on.

696255[/snapback]

I recall Buffalo coming out hot in the game... Too bad the bounces didn't go in... Would have been a whole different game... Oh well... They go the split. Even the announcers were a little stunned... Carolina withstood that storm and moved ahead... Buffalo then got lazy... Then got strong too late...

You must mean the same heart and energy that Carolina quit playing with at the end of the game when they "handed" Buffalo their last two goals.

Cmon man, give up tonight.  The Sabres will see better days......today however, they got schooled all night.  If they added two more periods to the game tonight, the Canes would have been up 9-3, and maybe would've given Buffalo two more goals at the end of the 5th to make it 9-5.

You got smoked.  It will be better in game 3.  The team that gets smoked almost always comes back and wins, or plays 500% better in the next one.

You're in good shape.  1-1, coming off of a bad game, and coming back home.  Have faith.

696263[/snapback]

That is why I am confident... The game earlier in the year where the 'Canes dominated with 4 goals in the 2nd... The Sabres stormed back to fall within one...

The 'Canes get too confident... Not good with this Sabres team... If the Sabres would just screw their head on... They would never fall... They just run out of gas being too "high motor"... And they coast...

;):w00t:

Laviolette is right - there are a number of Sabres who dive regularly (Roy, Briere, etc).  Who cares?

696312[/snapback]

But, how do you know when they don't "dive"... Seems like the rules really shaft the person and give them a "rep" not matter what?

Somebody else brought up how diving could be a warning type system.

They are on skates balancing between two blades/four edges... How do they really know for sure if a guy "dives."

Ya, the obvious acts are easily noticed... Seems players could get blackballed with the refs very easily?

How do you clear a false reputation?

But, how do you know when they don't "dive"... Seems like the rules really shaft the person and give them a "rep" not matter what?

Somebody else brought up how diving could be a warning type system.

They are on skates balancing between two blades/four edges... How do they really know for sure if a guy "dives."

Ya, the obvious acts are easily noticed... Seems players could get blackballed with the refs very easily?

How do you clear a false reputation?

696316[/snapback]

If you can't tell when someone's diving, I doubt very seriously I could explain it in a way that you can underestand.

Derek Roy dives all the time - virtually every game. His reputation is deserved. Briere dives pretty regularly as well. Watch how hard he is to pull off his skates around the opponent's net vs when he's in the neutral zone.

It is what it is. Can't gripe about it when they got so many calls in our favor during the season. What goes around comes around.

If you can't tell when someone's diving, I doubt very seriously I could explain it in a way that you can underestand.

Derek Roy dives all the time - virtually every game.  His reputation is deserved.  Briere dives pretty regularly as well.  Watch how hard he is to pull off his skates around the opponent's net vs when he's in the neutral zone.

It is what it is.  Can't gripe about it when they got so many calls in our favor during the season.  What goes around comes around.

696638[/snapback]

Yeah, briere dove last night right after he was put in a headlock and got him helmet ripped off by their net. All for not touching ward.

labia-lette is a jerk off who knows that the canes looked so good only because the sabres quit. He's scared of the sabres when they bring it 100% and is trying to take a pre-emptive strike so he gets more calls his way in game 3.

Actually, with Gerber in the nets a ton of the year, the Canes pretty much locked up the #2 seed.  Ward has been great in the playoffs, yes, but as of now, I think Miller has been just as good.  The goaltending has been a wash.

Carolina's forechecking is neutralizing Buffalo's speed thus far.  Buffalo has to find a better way to break out of their zone, IMO.

696222[/snapback]

Miller outplayed Ward in Game 1, and he kept the Sabres alive in Game 2 with some huge saves on some big-time goalscorers. Ward saved 16 of 19 shots, and really wasn't challenged. Huge skate save on Roy's break-in that prevented it from being 3-2 with about 13 mins left.

I think Miller will be an advantage throughout the series, and Ward will be exposed in Buffalo. The only time New Jersey looked like they cared about offense, they lit him up.

As for the breakouts, Carolina's pressure did effect Buffalo's first pass. Another effect was the Sabres playing their 7th and 8th defensemen. No excuse, every team has injuries, but whenever Numminen is out of the lineup, his absence is glaring when it comes to passing out of the defensive zone.

I know Carolina is missing their main weapon in Cole, so again no excuses...but Connolly is the type of player who can expose the over-agressive penalty killing that the Canes seem intent on playing. The Sabres had trouble getting set up. Connolly has the vision, stick handling, and creativity to back defenders off.

Yeah, briere dove last night right after he was put in a headlock and got him helmet ripped off by their net. All for not touching ward.

labia-lette is a jerk off who knows that the canes looked so good only because the sabres quit. He's scared of the sabres when they bring it 100% and is trying to take a pre-emptive strike so he gets more calls his way in game 3.

696644[/snapback]

Briere has taken some dives this year that would make any Olympic team proud.

But I think that after the Boynton comments - he got called for some dives he didn't make - and the refs are reluctant call things like that attempted decapitation.

Laviolette is no studenagle - he can read a stat sheet and see that Buff was 3-7 on

the power play.

696263[/snapback]

The Canes quit??? :lol:

You serious? Wow.

As for the diving, it drives me nuts, especially with Roy.

The Canes quit???  :lol:

You serious? Wow.

As for the diving, it drives me nuts, especially with Roy.

696687[/snapback]

Yeah, that diving into the crease to catch the puck with the stick before it went in was a real quitter's move, I'll tell ya...

Yeah, that diving into the crease to catch the puck with the stick before it went in was a real quitter's move, I'll tell ya...

696700[/snapback]

It was still 3-1 when that happened. And when Derek Roy almost made a great play to bring the Sabres within one.

I do think the Canes slowed down after Miller let in that fourth goal, and after that is when the Sabres started scoring. Goal #3 happened with 2 seconds left in the game and the Canes up by 2 goals, so I don't think they cared too much at that point either.

I also think the Sabres were starting to turn it on early in the third period before Carolina got their 3 goal lead and that that was more encouraging than our two late goals (i.e. the Sabres could still outplay the Canes when the game was in reach and both teams were still trying their best). Whatever, though, not good enough. Can't wait until the third period to start playing good hockey and expect to win.

I also think the Sabres were starting to turn it on early in the third period before Carolina got their 3 goal lead and that that was more encouraging than our two late goals (i.e. the Sabres could still outplay the Canes when the game was in reach and both teams were still trying their best).  Whatever, though, not good enough.  Can't wait until the third period to start playing good hockey and expect to win.

696711[/snapback]

No no no...the Canes quit remember???? :lol::(

It's not like the Sabres were playing with "house money" and the Canes HAD to win right??? :lol::lol::lol:

Derek Roy dives all the time - virtually every game.  His reputation is deserved.  Briere dives pretty regularly as well.  Watch how hard he is to pull off his skates around the opponent's net vs when he's in the neutral zone.

It is what it is.  Can't gripe about it when they got so many calls in our favor during the season.  What goes around comes around.

696638[/snapback]

I agree Darin... Thanks!

If one is a ref on the ice... They probably can be more objective!

I just don't notice it as closely.