Sabres - Canes Game 2 Thread

You dont.

How are those 4 or 5 breakaway stops looking now? Maybe if the defense wouldnt have played 57 minutes in our end, we could have stopped them from outshooting us 71-8.

Blaming miller for this one is assinine.

696132[/snapback]

I agree, Miller is far from the problem tonight. He did give up two poor goals, but those things happen. Even Hasek, in his prime, gave up some of the softest goals...

One trend though, and JSP is right....other than Brindamours' wrister in game 1 of this series, I think near every goal that Miller has given up has been a sort of deflection, or a lob of some kind. After game 1 of the Ottawa sereis, the Senators seem to adopt a "just throw the puck at the net" mentality, and it worked. Carolina seems to have caught on. I am not saying it is all Miller, but it is more than just a fluke, I think...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to panic.  The Sabres have been way too consistent this entire season, to panic, after one loss, to a very good team.  Frankly, I was mentally prepared for the Sabres to lose one of these games in Carolina.  I give the Hurricanes credit, they have a lot more heart than what our previous oppenent showed.  Whatever happens, I think this is going to be a terrific story...I am putting my notice in tomorrow, to make sure I have off the nights of games 6 and 7!

Sidenote:  Hurricanes coach was kind of taking the high road, but implying bad officiating tonight...saying "no comment"...I hope Lindy takes the same approach...I hate when he whines...

696147[/snapback]

He did not take the high road. He took the road of not getting fined. He followed it up with crying about Sabres dives. The SOB has the hockey world's all time greatest diver in Recchi and Stillman almost did a Triple Lindy when Jochen touched him.

IF he is reduced to needing to try to play the diving card, the Sabres will win this series running away.

One trend though, and JSP is right....other than Brindamours' wrister in game 1 of this series, I think near every goal that Miller has given up has been a sort of deflection, or a lob of some kind.  After game 1 of the Ottawa sereis, the Senators seem to adopt a "just throw the puck at the net" mentality, and it worked.  Carolina seems to have caught on.  I am not saying it is all Miller, but it is more than just a fluke, I think...

696155[/snapback]

But it isnt. have you every played hockey? From the time you step on the ice for your first shift, every single coach beats it into your head to get traffic in front of the net and fire shots away.

Why?

BECAUSE ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO ASK A GOALIE TO STOP FRIGGIN DEFLECTED SHOTS. You throw the puck at the net, and sh-- happens, and thats how goals are scored.

No way in hell is there anything wrong with miller, or its "more than a fluke". In fact, its the opposite. That says a lot about miller since the only goals being scored are off of deflections.

Teppo...and a lot more.  Frankly, the Sabres look like a good team with key injuries.  It happens.  You see it in every sport, the key to a championship is less frequently talent than health.

696117[/snapback]

True, that. Connolly and Cole kind of cancel each other out, but being down TWO of their best blueliners - no, I haven't forgotten about Kalinininin - sure isn't doing Buffalo any favors.

shots: 35-19 Carolina

faceoffs won: 44-28 Carolina

Hate on Miller all you want, Sixer, but this is the third game in a row (and fifth out of the last seven) the other team has carded 30+ shots -- and that doesn't even count all the blocked shots in front of him. Gotta play in the other team's zone sometime...

BECAUSE ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO ASK A GOALIE TO STOP FRIGGIN DEFLECTED SHOTS. You throw the puck at the net, and sh-- happens, and thats how goals are scored.

No way in hell is there anything wrong with miller, or its "more than a fluke". In fact, its the opposite. That says a lot about miller since the only goals being scored are off of deflections.

696186[/snapback]

Calm down there...I wasn't blaming Miller, just saying that it appears that the only way teams can score on him is from far away, on deflected shots. The Sabres offense rarely, this year anyway, employ this stratagy. I know it is not Millers' problem exclusively. I think he has played terrific. As a team, they need to figure out a way to minimize the damage of this type of play by their oppenents. It seems obvious to me that this is what they are doing. It seemed, after the early part of the game tonight, the Sabres defense was getting pinned too close to Miller...which helped Carolina.

I was saying it was not a fluke, because Ottawa started doing it, and Carolina is following suit. They will keep doing it, until it doesn't work anymore. Far more often than not, Milller is going to make saves from the slot. I can't say I have ever played hockey, but I have been watching it for 35 years. I am familiar with the concept of throwing the puck at the net. The Sabres did it tonight, late in the game, but normally make the attempt to set up plays. Throwing the puck at the net is kind of what teams do when they are desperate...

He did not take the high road.  He took the road of not getting fined.  He followed it up with crying about Sabres dives.  The SOB has the hockey world's all time greatest diver in Recchi and Stillman almost did a Triple Lindy when Jochen touched him.

IF he is reduced to needing to try to play the diving card, the Sabres will win this series running away.

696185[/snapback]

Sorry, I didn't see/hear that part of his comments until after my post. It takes brass balls for him to call the Sabres out for being "divers"...his boys looked like Greg Lougaines out there tonight! The tripping call on Kotalik was terrible...

True, that. Connolly and Cole kind of cancel each other out, but being down TWO of their best blueliners - no, I haven't forgotten about Kalinininin - sure isn't doing Buffalo any favors.

shots: 35-19 Carolina

faceoffs won:  44-28 Carolina

Hate on Miller all you want, Sixer, but this is the third game in a row (and fifth out of the last seven) the other team has carded 30+ shots -- and that doesn't even count all the blocked shots in front of him. Gotta play in the other team's zone sometime...

696239[/snapback]

Yes, well, it'd also help if the Swords actually SHOT THE DAMN PUCK once in a while isntead of trying the cutesy pass.

/rant

It's infuriating to have to watch an entire game being played in penaalty kill mode. They need to get out and challenge the defensemen when it's even strength, or else this is going to be a short series.

But, I'm not suprised. This is typical of a Buffalo team. There is ZERO killer instinct among the sports teams in this town.

Game three I want to see violence. Fights, if necessary. Take back the physical aspect of the game and make them hurt. They can't play if they're sobbing in pain on the bench. Hell, if they're gonna call cheesola penalties on us, why the hell not make them count?

But, I'm not suprised. This is typical of a Buffalo team. There is ZERO killer instinct among the sports teams in this town.

696321[/snapback]

But Joe, what about "this team is different?"

Can't a team have an off game every so often, especially when playing 7 game series, without you going haywire? Isn't that why they play 7?

Will they win the cup playing the way they did last night? No. Did they get this far playing the way they did last night? No. As Lindy said, the first two periods tonight were the worst 40 minutes this team has played in the playoffs...Do what the Sabres have probably already done: get over it.

Calm down there...I wasn't blaming Miller, just saying that it appears that the only way teams can score on him is from far away, on deflected shots.  The Sabres offense rarely, this year anyway, employ this stratagy.  I know it is not Millers' problem exclusively.  I think he has played terrific.  As a team, they need to figure out a way to minimize the damage of this type of play by their oppenents.  It seems obvious to me that this is what they are doing.  It seemed, after the early part of the game tonight, the Sabres defense was getting pinned too close to Miller...which helped Carolina. 

I was saying it was not a fluke, because Ottawa started doing it, and Carolina is following suit. They will keep doing it, until it doesn't work anymore. Far more often than not, Milller is going to make saves from the slot.  I can't say I have ever played hockey, but I have been watching it for 35 years.  I am familiar with the concept of throwing the puck at the net.  The Sabres did it tonight, late in the game, but normally make the attempt to set up plays.  Throwing the puck at the net is kind of what teams do when they are desperate...

696257[/snapback]

A big part of why teams can only score on him from outside on deflected shots is that once a team sets up into the Sabres zone, that is all that the Sabres give the other team. The Sabres collapse back on the net far more than any other team that I have seen. The positives of that are the Sabres rarely let someone get a clean shot from in front of the net and oftentimes a blocked shot will bounce over to a spot where the Sabres can develop an odd man rush. The negative is that the puck stays inside the Sabres zone longer than we'd like to see as there is typically only 1 Sabres forward high challenging the D man with the puck. As the puck switches from D man to D man, the Sabres drop the now far side winger back low looking to block passing lanes and looking to pick up a deflected shot.

When the other team is trying to cycle the puck low, the Sabres have an extra body in front of the net to prevent someone from walking in. They also typically have sticks and bodies in the way to prevent the pass over to the far side for the high percentage shot that the Sabres are so fond of trying to work.

The Sabres typically give up, what, about 3 shots down low per game? The Sabres gave up far too many breakaways and odd man rushes last night, but I doubt that we will see many of those chances given up in the Mmarena tomorrow night or Friday. Also, there may be someone in the league that is better at stopping breakaways than Ryan, but if he is, it is just barely. Ryan's lateral movement and ability to block the entire bottom 1' of the net make him typically unbeatable on breakaways.

The Sabres have played this style all season long and it has netted them 61 W's.

As for the Sabres not throwing the puck at the net, that is also by design. Most teams still play with both the wingers fairly high to cover the point men. When the Sabres are skating hard and passing crisply, they can oftentimes get a passing lane open up to a high percentage shot. Unfortunately, when they are doing neither they will turn the puck over far too often, like last night.

A big part of why teams can only score on him from outside on deflected shots is that once a team sets up into the Sabres zone, that is all that the Sabres give the other team.  The Sabres collapse back on the net far more than any other team that I have seen.  The positives of that are the Sabres rarely let someone get a clean shot from in front of the net and oftentimes a blocked shot will bounce over to a spot where the Sabres can develop an odd man rush.  The negative is that the puck stays inside the Sabres zone longer than we'd like to see as there is typically only 1 Sabres forward high challenging the D man with the puck.  As the puck switches from D man to D man, the Sabres drop the now far side winger back low looking to block passing lanes and looking to pick up a deflected shot.

When the other team is trying to cycle the puck low, the Sabres have an extra body in front of the net to prevent someone from walking in.  They also typically have sticks and bodies in the way to prevent the pass over to the far side for the high percentage shot that the Sabres are so fond of trying to work.

The Sabres typically give up, what, about 3 shots down low per game?  The Sabres gave up far too many breakaways and odd man rushes last night, but I doubt that we will see many of those chances given up in the Mmarena tomorrow night or Friday.  Also, there may be someone in the league that is better at stopping breakaways than Ryan, but if he is, it is just barely.  Ryan's lateral movement and ability to block the entire bottom 1' of the net make him typically unbeatable on breakaways.

The Sabres have played this style all season long and it has netted them 61 W's.

As for the Sabres not throwing the puck at the net, that is also by design.  Most teams still play with both the wingers fairly high to cover the point men.  When the Sabres are skating hard and passing crisply, they can oftentimes get a passing lane open up to a high percentage shot.  Unfortunately, when they are doing neither they will turn the puck over far too often, like last night.

696363[/snapback]

better adjust the meter in your signature :lol:

I'm afraid to say this (because sounding negative on a Sabres thread these days seems to be taken as you are not a real Sabres fan, which I think is silly) but I think the Sabres might have met their match in the Canes.

They forecheck just as well as Buffalo...they are exceptional on faceoffs...they have better speed then Philly to go along with some size...they have players that have experience etc...the Canes can win on the road....and the Sabres are hurting on the blue line...oh yeah, they could have used some better #7 or #8 d guys to have available for the playoffs...but oh yeah, that was not important :lol:

I doubted the Canes when the playoffs started...but it is looking more and more like they just might be the better team in this case. IMO it is going to be very very difficult to imagine seeing the Sabres win this series.

I doubted the Canes when the playoffs started...but it is looking more and more like they just might be the better team in this case.  IMO it is going to be very very difficult to imagine seeing the Sabres win this series.

696378[/snapback]

We lost one game without three vital contributors. We were winning without two of them.

We get Teppo back, things will be better. Mark it.

We lost one game without three vital contributors.  We were winning without two of them.

We get Teppo back, things will be better.  Mark it.

696380[/snapback]

And we will now find out a little more about the Sabres...first 2 series....Sabres had a 2 games to 0 lead...now it is 1-1...little more adversity...let's see how the Swords react.

And I agree..losing Teppo is huge...but some of the other players here need to step up a bit

And we will now find out a little more about the Sabres...first 2 series....Sabres had a 2 games to 0 lead...now it is 1-1...little more adversity...let's see how the Swords react.

And I agree..losing Teppo is huge...but some of the other players here need to step up a bit

696384[/snapback]

Absolutely. I did like to see Max fighting and battling through his struggles. IMO he is going to break through soon. Ruff will absolutely have this team prepared for Game 3 in our house. And if we know Miller he is going to take those goals to heart and have a huge game to follow. I'm not scared at all.