Raleigh writer takes a shot at the Sabres

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the comment about Toronto fans taking over the HSBC arena....that also shows how great Leafs fans are just as much if not more then it shows that the Sabres fans do not buy the tickets.

I hate the Leafs and their fans...but nobody can deny they are tremendous fans when it comes to following the team and the passion they have for the Leafs.

I guess this tool (Raleigh writer) was able to take off some time from the NASCAR race to write about the Hurricanes/Sabres game for 15 minutes? Wow, that's progress!! ;)

And didn't the Sabres sell out the Aud for almost 7 years in a row? I think the only year the Sabres really had attendence issues was the bankrupcy year, which had ALL to do with a crooked owner and NOT about the fan base.

Maybe this idiot should educate himself before spewing off, but just getting away from the NASCAR race was enough for him this week...slow steps...

Maybe this idiot should educate himself before spewing off, but just getting away from the NASCAR race was enough for him this week...slow steps...

695834[/snapback]

No email address to correct him either. Yeah, it takes a real man to talk smack when no one can respond. ;)

No email address to correct him either.  Yeah, it takes a real man to talk smack when no one can respond.  ;)

695844[/snapback]

How much were Sabres playoff tickets (pricing wise)...i just found 4 tickets together for tonight..upper level (lower upper level) in back of the goal...$220 a piece plus a $14 service charge...I must admit that is pretty steep...but still no excuse as to why there are so many tickets available...and THEN to have a reporter take a stab at a franchise he obviously does not know that much about....pitiful

i just checked and found 8 seats in a row for tonights game..how very said...bring teams back to Quebec, Winninpeg, and Moose Jaw

695840[/snapback]

Well, you can't really expect them to sell out the rink on a weeknight when most of the people who WANT to go to the game have to be back to work in Buffalo in the morning.

i just checked and found 8 seats in a row for tonights game..how very said...bring teams back to Quebec, Winninpeg, and Moose Jaw

695840[/snapback]

Lower bowl, face-off circle, eight in a row...available less than 5 hours before start of game...amazing. ;)

This guy can feel free to bash the city of Buffalo. Hey, all those Sabres fans at Game 1 didn't drive down from WNY, many of them live there already. And they all left Buffalo for one reason or another. That's fine. The city has been bashed before, and it will be bashed again. Wide right, snowstorms in June, blah blah blah we can handle it.

And he can talk about the 50/50 ratio of Leafs to Sabres fans when the two teams square off in HSBC. There's no denying that. The fact that many of those fans are from Southern Ontario and a hell of a lot closer to Buffalo than Toronto gets left out. The fact that Leafs tickets are much more exclusive and expensive than Sabres tickets gets left out. I have no problem with it. I also have no problem with the Leafs' fans voicing their support in our arena. Buffalo is 14-4-3 against Toronto in HSBC since they moved there in 1996.

Bringing up Regis/Adelphia bankruptcy and pinning it on the fans inability to support a team is ignorant. The Hurricanes play in NC State's college basketball gym on the third-best campus in the Research Triangle. Cool. ;)

Who cares what some banjo playin', chew slobberin', sister marrying, confederate flag wavin', NASCAR lovin', two tooth havin', redneck down in North Carolina thinks? Bunch of pansies can't take a few drunken Sabres fans? Talk about crybabies. Send them a bunch of Flyers fans sometimes. NASCAR etiquette does not apply in the NHL Playoffs. Boo-frickin' hoo.

Who cares what some banjo playin', chew slobberin', sister marrying, confederate flag wavin', NASCAR lovin', two tooth havin', redneck down in North Carolina thinks? Bunch of pansies can't take a few drunken Sabres fans? Talk about crybabies. Send them a bunch of Flyers fans sometimes. NASCAR etiquette does not apply in the NHL Playoffs. Boo-frickin' hoo.

695882[/snapback]

TWO teeth? Must have a good dental plan. In Carolina, a "tooth brush" is properly named.

His response:

All:

There isn’t a fan base I respect more than Buffalo’s. As a paper we get more e-mail from Buffalo fans concerning hockey than any other fan base. Part of that is the large number of Buffalo fans in our area, the other part is your passion for your team, regardless of location.

As for Monday’s “Slapshots” column — and it’s an opinion column, not a news story — my point is that every fan base has its own issues. It’s hypocritical for some Buffalo fans, I pretty clearly point out it was some not all, to criticize Carolina fans for not buying tickets.

Given the comparatively exorbitant prices (note the increase from the regular season) Raleigh fans should be commended for taking a stand against ownership, not chastised by their brothers in fandom. Actually, by not selling out, it did Buffalo fans a favor because it allowed a significant number of you to make the trip to Raleigh.

That was my point, I even used Fred Smerlas reference to appease my Buffalo readers.

There were a lot of arrows slung our way in the week leading up to Game 1, the cheap-shot cliche-filled Bucky Gleason column foremost among them. This, from the best I can tell, is the first return volley from the North Carolina media and it didn’t include any civic insults.

As a final note, I have all my teeth, I have never been to a NASCAR race nor I have ever watched one on TV, and my wife is not a blood relative.

Enjoy Games 3 and 4 and probably 6. This series is just getting started.

And my e-mail is jgiglio@newsobserver.com, which is posted at the end of each article and will be posted on future “Slapshots” columns.

- Joe Giglio

Actually, by not selling out, it did Buffalo fans a favor because it allowed a significant number of you to make the trip to Raleigh.

696609[/snapback]

:lol:

What?

Could he be any more patronizing? Jesus Christ... :(

Someone needs to tell him, too, that taking Bucky Gleason seriously is a symptom of clinical insanity.