ANOTHER REASON WHY THE NBA IS A JOKE

So NOTHING is on cable today except the NBA Cavs / Pistons game 7. I watch a good chunk of it. Looks fantastic in HD..First NBA game I have watched in at least a year---

Anyways, WHO IN THE HELL is the MORON who is screaming over the PA after EVERY damn play / shot ?? OMFG!!! Are other arenas like this now?

Here's why the NBA sucks:

There is no point to watching the first 3 and a half quarters. Nothing before that matters. If a team goes up by 10 in the first quarter, it doesn't matter.

The reason why hockey is so superior to Thug Ball is that EVERY score can (and often times is) a game changer. If the Sabres score in the first minute of a game, that could be the only goal all game, and if not, it's still really damn important. Every second counts. In Thug Ball, I couldn't imagine even getting excited for a basket being scored unless its in the last 3 minutes.

Hockey Rules.

There is no point to watching the first 3 and a half quarters. Nothing before that matters. If a team goes up by 10 in the first quarter, it doesn't matter.

The reason why hockey is so superior to Thug Ball is that EVERY score can (and often times is) a game changer. If the Sabres score in the first minute of a game, that could be the only goal all game, and if not, it's still really damn important. Every second counts. In Thug Ball,  I couldn't imagine even getting excited for a basket being scored unless its in the last 3 minutes.

Hockey Rules.

695523[/snapback]

It's great that the Sabres are doing so good...

but the NHL's main network is OLN and they have Buffalo, Carolina, Anaheim, and Edmonton in the Final 4 their first year back... that's beyond brutal for the league. I'd like to see the national ratings for the NBC games, I'd think the NBA on ABC, ESPN, or TNT are just crushing them.

The reason why hockey is so superior to Thug Ball is that EVERY score can (and often times is) a game changer. If the Sabres score in the first minute of a game, that could be the only goal all game, and if not, it's still really damn important. Every second counts. In Thug Ball,  I couldn't imagine even getting excited for a basket being scored unless its in the last 3 minutes.

Hockey Rules.

695523[/snapback]

Wow. We agree on something.

Though college hoops is a little better. At least they understand teamwork at that level, and every possession of every game doesn't degrade into some sort of misbegotten slam-dunk contest.

So NOTHING is on cable today except the NBA Cavs / Pistons game 7.  I watch a good chunk of it.  Looks fantastic in HD..First NBA game I have watched in at least a year---

Anyways, WHO IN THE HELL is the MORON who is screaming over the PA after EVERY damn play / shot ??  OMFG!!!  Are other arenas like this now?

695512[/snapback]

Ha, thats funny, I actually watched the end of that game too. Now, I can't stand squeakball, but I've got a friend who likes the pistons so I stopped on it while flipping channels. I was shocked at how foolish that announcer sounded...it wasn't even after they scored, it was like "And now the DEEEETROIT BASKETBALL GUYS are going down the court with the ball!" <_<

Makes you kind of feel that pro basketball is more of a show than a sport, like WWE wrestling. It just doesn't have the built-in excitment of an NHL game 7.

Hockey Rules.

695523[/snapback]

It doesn't help that there's really no reason to watch the regular season either. More than any other sport, basketball is a game where the better team wins almost all the time. Watch a baseball, football, or hockey game and you can be treated to an upset.

695523[/snapback]

The NBA sucks because they allowed our Braves to move to LA (through SD).

Tomorrow night, every Buffalonian should be rooting for the Suns to beat the Clippers...right after the Sabres-Canes game!

That's true, but at least the NBA encourages player/fan interaction.

p.s. sorry buckeyemike, but I warned you.

That's true, but at least the NBA encourages player/fan interaction.

p.s.  sorry buckeyemike, but I warned you.

695546[/snapback]

You did warn me, but I'm not devastated by this loss. At least Rasheed didn't hit a game winner with .1 seconds left.

The Cavaliers will be much better in the years to come. What a heckuva year.

Mike

You did warn me, but I'm not devastated by this loss.  At least Rasheed didn't hit a game winner with .1 seconds left.

The Cavaliers will be much better in the years to come.  What a heckuva year.

Mike

695547[/snapback]

Congrats, your team showed an awful lot of heart.

but the NHL's main network is OLN and they have Buffalo, Carolina, Anaheim, and Edmonton in the Final 4 their first year back... that's beyond brutal for the league. I'd like to see the national ratings for the NBC games, I'd think the NBA on ABC, ESPN, or TNT are just crushing them.

695524[/snapback]

Just because the NBA is crushing the NHL in ratings does not mean it is a better game at all.

It just means that more people watch the NBA...primarily because:

E$PN and other major sports personalities cater to the game, and I believe more so because of the trash talking, soap-opera like stories that surface in the NBA..not for the 37% shooting performances, the 78-61 games, and the half court, slow down, bore me style of the new NBA (though not all the time, but you get my drift, some teams like the Suns are bearable to watch)

If the NHL had more guys lighting up joints....having 15+ tattoos on average for each player....guaranteeing victories and saying stupid things...having 7+ kids on average for every player....releasing rap albums....start a riot in the crowd as a result of a Plastic Cup ..maybe...just maybe...E$PN will look at the NHL in a new light. And whomever does NOT think this is a big reason why the NHL struggles over the other major sports, couple that with sports like the NFL are bet on SO much more, you are fooling yourself.

Why was NBC in SUCH a rush to get that horse race on? Because of the 'pageantry' and 'elegance' of the Preakness?? PLEASE!! Breakfast at the Preakness?? They might as well show a real to life show of Breakfast at the Preakness to show who is REALLY watching this coverage...some 4 day unshaven guy standing at the OTB reading a Daily Racing Forum enjoying a glazed doughnut and a Dunkin Donuts coffee salivating over the thought of one of his 5 exacta and trifecta boxes are going to hit.

If the NHL had more guys lighting up joints....having 15+ tattoos on average for each player....guaranteeing victories and saying stupid things...having 7+ kids on average for every player....releasing rap albums....start a riot in the crowd as a result of a Plastic Cup ..maybe...just maybe...E$PN will look at the NHL in a new light.  And whomever does NOT think this is a big reason why the NHL struggles over the other major sports, couple that with sports like the NFL are bet on SO much more, you are fooling yourself.

695556[/snapback]

I think the NBA is more popular because basketball is a much cheaper and much more accessible sport for kids to play than hockey.

As for ESPN, maybe they hate hockey because of the Whalers leaving? <_<

Otherwise I agree with you completely. Hockey is superior to basketball.

Why was NBC in SUCH a rush to get that horse race on?  Because of the 'pageantry' and 'elegance' of the Preakness??  PLEASE!! Breakfast at the Preakness??  They might as well show a real to life show of Breakfast at the Preakness to show who is REALLY watching this coverage...some 4 day unshaven guy standing at the OTB reading a Daily Racing Forum enjoying a glazed doughnut and a Dunkin Donuts coffee salivating over the thought of one of his 5 exacta and trifecta boxes are going to hit.

695556[/snapback]

Could be that the Preakness ratings will be higher than the NHL ratings, I don't know.

Here in Baltimore, they didn't even show the game, they ran a 3-hr pre-Preakness special instead. <_<

Could be that the Preakness ratings will be higher than the NHL ratings, I don't know.

Here in Baltimore, they didn't even show the game, they ran a 3-hr pre-Preakness special instead. <_<

695562[/snapback]

Who cares? To be honest I'm really glad that so few people get hockey. Let the mouthbreathers waste their time watching people they wouldn't want to live next door to.

It's their loss, not hockey's.

Who cares?  To be honest I'm really glad that so few people get hockey.  Let the mouthbreathers waste their time watching people they wouldn't want to live next door to.

It's their loss, not hockey's.

695563[/snapback]

Well, I kinda care, because I wanted to watch the game... the cable programming guide on my screen when I turned it on at 2:00 even said the game was going to come on, I don't know if it was a last minute decision or not. <_<

695524[/snapback]

Solely in the context of TV ratings, you are right, but I believe the point of this thread is to debate the quality/entertainment value of the NBA vs. NHL playoffs, and TV ratings have nothing to do with that.

The point an earlier poster made about only needing to watch the last 3:00 of an NBA game is dead on.

For my entertainment dollar, the NBA is so far down on the list it's not even worth mentioning. The NHL playoffs, on the other hand, are right up there with the NFL playoffs and NCAA March Madness. The only thing 'wrong' is that the NHL playoffs last for so long. For a devoted hockey fan that's not an issue, but for the casual fan I think the longevity of the playoff season is a negative.