2 Platinum Couple (NY) Jose L. Espinoza Joseph A. Lostritto 50/1

3 Hemingway's Key (FL) Jeremy Rose Nicholas P. Zito 30/1

4 Greeley's Legacy (KY) Richard Migliore George Weaver 20/1

5 Brother Derek (CA) Alex O. Solis Dan L. Hendricks 3/1

6 Barbaro (KY) Edgar S. Prado Michael R. Matz 1/1

7 Sweetnorthernsaint (FL) Kent J. Desormeaux Michael J. Trombetta 4/1

8 Bernardini (KY) Javier Castellano Thomas Albertrani 8/1

9 Diabolical (KY) Ramon A. Dominguez Steve Klesaris 30/1

As for my plays, I'm not sure yet. Hard to bet against Barbaro, after winning the Derby so easily without much urging from Prado. I was really impressed with Brother Derek's race in the KD. He didn't have a good trip, breaking out of the 18 post, had to check up right when he started moving in the backstretch. Yet he showed he could rate, and even after sitting 4 or 5 wide the whole race, still had enough to get up for a tie for 4th place in a pretty fast race.

I hate betting favorites, but I like the tri with 5 & 6 either order with the 1. Maybe I'll work in something with the 8 horse, I've read some good things about his workouts.

Nothing like a good rumor. Here's what a friend just sent:

Although I'm gonna make Barbaro the key horse, I heard from a friend that Brother Derek threw a shoe in the derby (not really reported to anyone...). That, combined with the bad trip, hurt him but Barbaro was by far the best horse that day. In short, it should have been a closer race.

That being said, I'm taking those 2 with all the rest for the triple and the super. Hopefully there will be a decent price for Brother Derek and if so, he'll be a safety bet to win.

Good Luck!

The plot thickens...

Here's what I'm planning to do:

5-6-8 $2 Trifecta Box

5-6 $2 Exacta Box

6 $5 Win (We're all waiting for the next Secretariat)

None of these are gonna pay much.

694625[/snapback]

Those are the plays I would make.

Nothing like a good rumor.  Here's what a friend just sent:

Although I'm gonna make Barbaro the key horse, I heard from a friend that Brother Derek threw a shoe in the derby (not really reported to anyone...).  That, combined with the bad trip, hurt him but Barbaro was by far the best horse that day.  In short, it should have been a closer race.

That being said, I'm taking those 2 with all the rest for the triple and the super.  Hopefully there will be a decent price for Brother Derek and if so, he'll be a safety bet to win.

Good Luck!

The plot thickens...

694820[/snapback]

I don't think there will be a decent price for Brother Derek. I think he'll pretty much stay at 3/1, but I could even see him moving down to 5/2.

IMO, there's not enough value to take Barbaro (even) and Derek (3/1) in either order over the field in a trifecta bet. You lay out so much money, and the return is mush, especially if a 4/1 horse grabs 3rd.

Barbaro is class, and undefeated. Obviously a special horse. I just have a feeling about Brother Derek tomorrow. He showed maturity and moxie in the KD.

Nothing like a good rumor.  Here's what a friend just sent:

Although I'm gonna make Barbaro the key horse, I heard from a friend that Brother Derek threw a shoe in the derby (not really reported to anyone...).  That, combined with the bad trip, hurt him but Barbaro was by far the best horse that day.  In short, it should have been a closer race.

That being said, I'm taking those 2 with all the rest for the triple and the super.  Hopefully there will be a decent price for Brother Derek and if so, he'll be a safety bet to win.

Good Luck!

The plot thickens...

694820[/snapback]

The shoe thing isn't some rumor. It's a well known fact & has been written about & discussed by just about every media person covering the triple crown. I even heard on the radio today that Donna Brothers (the former jockey who interviews the winner on horseback right after the race) studied the tape & saw exactly where he lost the shoe in the race. I'm sure she did this for the telecast tommorrow. It's really not a big deal because if Barbaro doesn't run his race Brother Derek-assuming he does run his race off 2 weeks rest (which would be the only thing that makes Barbaro vulnerable) will win. If Barbaro runs his race, Brother Derek has no chance of beating him. Brother Derek will be a short priced 2nd choice-probably at odds a lot lower than his chances of winning, because chances are the Derby took more out of Brother Derek than Barbaro. This, like most Preaknesses, is a terrible race to bet into, because everything is an underlay compared to its probability of winning.