Murtha has officially lost it

Whether the Marines did do what he says or not, to vilify and proclaims these men guilty before a fair trial, or hell before they are even charged is criminal. No matter how highly decorated he is, and regardless of the final outcome he should at this point be censured. This goes against, everything that this country stands for. This is not a freedom of speech issue either, this is slander and does nothing but undermine the men and women of the service still in Iraq. This is worse then the ill advised and incorrectly reported story on the flushing of the Koran. I hope this SOB cannot sleep knowing that statements like this will just rial the insurgants and make it worse for our troops.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/18/...ines/index.html

Whether the Marines did do what he says or not, to vilify and proclaims these men guilty before a fair trial, or hell before they are even charged is criminal.  No matter how highly decorated he is, and regardless of the final outcome he should at this point be censured.  This goes against, everything that this country stands for.  This is not a freedom of speech issue either, this is slander and does nothing but undermine the men and women of the service still in Iraq.  This is worse then the ill advised and incorrectly reported story on the flushing of the Koran.  I hope this SOB cannot sleep knowing that statements like this will just rial the insurgants and make it worse for our troops. 

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/18/...ines/index.html

694377[/snapback]

Has the video footage of these killings been released?

Murtha has more military connections than most Congressmen, I don't believe he'd make such statements without good inside information. I saw the full interview on Hardball. He also said he fully understood why such a situation occurred, given the stress and frustration the troops face every day. They were angry and upset about an earlier IED explosion. He said the blame goes right to the top to Bush for putting our troops in such a no-win situation. As we learned from Abu Garib, terrible mistakes and excesses can and do occur.

Murtha has more military connections than most Congressmen, I don't believe he'd make such statements without good inside information.  I saw the full interview on Hardball.  He also said he fully understood why such a situation occurred, given the stress and frustration the troops face every day.  They were angry and upset about an earlier IED explosion.  He said the blame goes right to the top to Bush for putting our troops in such a no-win situation.  As we learned from Abu Garib, terrible mistakes and excesses can and do occur.

694441[/snapback]

A valid arguement, bit isn't he just adding wood to the fire? Not only would I expect a Congressman to weigh the consequences of making a statement such as his, but Murtha should know better than most. But then again I'm feeling idealistic today.

I don't believe he'd make such statements without good inside information.

694441[/snapback]

Because he's a democrat... :wacko:

"Any comment at this time would be inappropriate and could undermine the investigatory and possible legal process." That quote is the only part of that story that matters at all. I'm quite sick of "lawmakers" and their idiot minions trying these things in the press. These are people's lives we're talking about. They deserve a fair trial - one that is not tainted by some old man and a bunch of lemmings who only care about themselves.

"Any comment at this time would be inappropriate and could undermine the investigatory and possible legal process."

694504[/snapback]

This administration should have this statement put on one of those banners they like to put behind Bush during speeches, it's a common response from them.

"There was no firefight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood,"

How can you kill somebody in cold blood because of pressure on you?

• 2 weeks later...
He's out of bounds with his pre- court conviction...

694835[/snapback]

If so, then from the interviews I've seen, so is Gen. Pace. The fact that he used the common weasel words like 'looks' or 'seems', etc doesn't do much when you're talking about murdering 3-year-olds.

And it's pretty sad that some people here will go to the mat defending soldiers who would do something like this and when the media reports something that happened, blame them for inciting riots. These Marines just gave credibility to the terrorists in the eyes of those of whom we're trying to win the hearts and minds. I say this with my brother currently deployed in Afghanistan.

Does this mean Murtha has officially regained it?

700581[/snapback]

No, again, there are no charges, and to pre-convict before anything is wrong. If you will read what I said, he charged, tried and convicted before hand. That is wrong. Again, if found guilty then punish them, but not before hand.

All that did was open the troops up there to extra concerns about "waht is a justified assault" and potentially turning more insurgents against troops, before the US has a chance to react and shore up in case they know of something.

If so, then from the interviews I've seen, so is Gen. Pace. The fact that he used the common weasel words like 'looks' or 'seems', etc doesn't do much when you're talking about murdering 3-year-olds.

And it's pretty sad that some people here will go to the mat defending soldiers who would do something like this and when the media reports something that happened, blame them for inciting riots. These Marines just gave credibility to the terrorists in the eyes of those of whom we're trying to win the hearts and minds. I say this with my brother currently deployed in Afghanistan.

700605[/snapback]

I prefer due process running it's course and letting justice prevail.

No, again, there are no charges, and to pre-convict before anything is wrong.  If you will read what I said, he charged, tried and convicted before hand.  That is wrong.  Again, if found guilty then punish them, but not before hand. 

All that did was open the troops up there to extra concerns about "waht is a justified assault" and potentially turning more insurgents against troops, before the US has a chance to react and shore up in case they know of something.

700631[/snapback]

I don't know this for sure but from his comments, he wasn't just convicting them before he knew what happened. He had access to the investigation and pretty much knew what happened. Surely not all the facts, as they probably haven't come out, and perhaps never will. But he wasn't just playing politics or being a jerk about something he knew nothing about.