Lost

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the Michael motivation really makes sense. Had he been under some spell from the "Others," sure. Some weird mind-meld thing. But without the mental voodoo, none of it works for me. Michael's not a killer. I understand they have his son, but he could have tried one, two or 10 different options instead of killing Ana Lucia (I'll give him Libby as a frightened reaction, a post murder "accident.")

Let's say one of his options was this: He comes back and tells Jack: "They've got Walt. They want Henry back, plus you, Sawyer, Kate and Hurley. If I don't deliver, I'll never see Walt again. We need to make a plan."

Hey, it's a start. And you're not a cold-blooded murderer. Right now that's a storyline that's tough for me. Because Michael can never go back to who he was. (Unless in the end this was one big lab experiment about human behavior and Michael proved to someone in a white coat that, yes, take a man's kid and he'll kill people to keep his kid safe. Experiment over, wake up, none of this really happened). But until that happens, the actual character of Michael is forever changed. He's a pariah. Which, of course, makes him a good bet to be killed off next week. Word to "good" Michael, who ran through the woods in flashback to get Walt: When you see one of the "Others" and you've got a gun - use it. Shoot to kill. You're not living on MySpace Island. Stop being friendly. Kill.

What was the deal w/ Charlie and his "innoculation" kit for Claire that he found in one of the hatches? Could it be the same stuff that the Others were giving her when she was being held captive? I only see bad things coming out of that whole mess.

None of the Michael motivation really makes sense. Had he been under some spell from the "Others," sure. Some weird mind-meld thing. But without the mental voodoo, none of it works for me. Michael's not a killer. I understand they have his

693893[/snapback]

Perhaps he wanted to kill someone in order to create more anger towards the Others. Hurley is only going with them now because he thinks they killed Libby. If no one died, maybe they would be inclined to not attack, thus making Michael fail in bringing them to the Others.

Again, he had to kill Anna because she would know that his story about the others being pushovers that they could easily take was BS...

693911[/snapback]

Has it been established that his story was BS? When they did the flashback to him coming to the camp it looked almost exactly as he described. The people looked dirty and unfed, they had a hatch, two guys guarding the door....

Has it been established that his story was BS? When they did the flashback to him coming to the camp it looked almost exactly as he described. The people looked dirty and unfed, they had a hatch, two guys guarding the door....

693915[/snapback]

Remember Walt said "they are faking, they're not what they look like" or something along those lines.

They only wanted Claire for Aaron...pretty tough for Michael to come up with a reason for the baby to go on a war party raid, don't you think?

693880[/snapback]

Not really.

All he has to say is "I WANT!!! MY SON!!!! BACK!!!!" and then calmly explain that because it's HIS SON who was kidnapped he gets to make decisions for all the rest of the survivors, which includes how all the guns are to be used and who gets to use them and when. I seriously would not have been surprised last night if Michael had said the only way to get HIS SON back was for him, Hurley, Claire and the baby to head off on their own with all the guns but no ammo and Jack had said "Okay, Michael, we'll do it your way."

Perhaps at some point - I'm thinking around day 50 of this - everyone just threw their hands up in the air and decided to stop even trying to make decisions to survive. The island is magic, the "Others" kidnap people, food is falling from the sky, there's still a monster, and people are dying left and right - so you know what? To hell with common sense. If Michael is acting crazy, let's all follow him into the jungle. Oh well....

Perhaps at some point - I'm thinking around day 50 of this - everyone just threw their hands up in the air and decided to stop even trying to make decisions to survive.  The island is magic, the "Others" kidnap people, food is falling from the sky, there's still a monster, and people are dying left and right - so you know what?  To hell with common sense.  If Michael is acting crazy, let's all follow him into the jungle.  Oh well....

693931[/snapback]

That's what I got from this episode. No way is it logical to follow the desperate pleas of someone trying to get his son back at all costs. It would be different if he just wanted five of them to go, but to actually name the other four and one of them is the big fat guy instead of an experienced Sayid and Jack just says they'll do it his way. The show lost me right there.

Not really.

All he has to say is "I WANT!!!  MY SON!!!! BACK!!!!" and then calmly explain that because it's HIS SON who was kidnapped he gets to make decisions for all the rest of the survivors, which includes how all the guns are to be used and who gets to use them and when.  I seriously would not have been surprised last night if Michael had said the only way to get HIS SON back was for him, Hurley, Claire and the baby to head off on their own with all the guns but no ammo and Jack had said "Okay, Michael, we'll do it your way."

Perhaps at some point - I'm thinking around day 50 of this - everyone just threw their hands up in the air and decided to stop even trying to make decisions to survive.  The island is magic, the "Others" kidnap people, food is falling from the sky, there's still a monster, and people are dying left and right - so you know what?  To hell with common sense.  If Michael is acting crazy, let's all follow him into the jungle.  Oh well....

693931[/snapback]

I think there may have been a little of "Two people are dead, let's take care of that and worry about Michael's sh-- in the morning" there as well. And maybe some "Okay...he's nuts...let's just placate him for a while until we figure out what to do."

Michael drives me nuts. As a father, I understand his passion, but he just isn't using common sense and it annoying. His character makes me want to turn off the show.

Hey JoeSixPack - see those old Apple IIe computers are still working after twenty years on a remote  island. :)

693536[/snapback]

I'm waiting for Michael to bust into the turtle program and Oregon Trail into the next few weeks.

What was the deal w/ Charlie and his "innoculation" kit for Claire that he found in one of the hatches? Could it be the same stuff that the Others were giving her when she was being held captive? I only see bad things coming out of that whole mess.

693895[/snapback]

Not to mention bad things that could come from Charlie throwing the heroin filled Mary statues into the ocean.

693895[/snapback]

I wondered about that. Charlie said they needed to take them every 9 days (i think). Why would they just start injecting unknown “immunizations” into themselves and the baby. Charlie even practiced on himself. They didn’t even ask Jack what it was or if it was safe. He is after all a trained physician. Looked a little crazy to me.

I believe that these are the same inoculations that Desmond was periodically injecting himself in the hatch before he ran away. Remember episode 1 from this season.

Your back in, heh.

694095[/snapback]

yes.... it drew me back in... I missed two episodes, but luckily my sister Tivos it. Missed last nights, but I'll watch it soon.

It really is an amazing show, and I was jaded for a while, but yeah, you knew I wouldn't be gone long :)

Michael's not a killer. I understand they have his son, but he could have tried one, two or 10 different options instead of killing Ana Lucia (I'll give him Libby as a frightened reaction, a post murder "accident.")

Right now that's a storyline that's tough for me. Because Michael can never go back to who he was.

693893[/snapback]

Remember Eko's story about the dog when they were cleaning up the blood. That was all about Michael -- the kid in the story wasn't a killer, but he killed his dog because it bit his sister. Then, when he asked Eko for forgivness it wasn't because he was worried about God, it was because he was worried about the dog waiting for him in hell.

People's natures can change (in the world of Lost) and that story was really explaining how Michael could change and what he was really afraid of. He doesn't care about the survivors on the island -- he made that clear in season one. Sure he has his moments (with Sawyer and with Jin) but overall Michael has done nothing but show that he only cares about Walt and will do anything to get him back.

I expected the Others to say they wanted Michael to kill AL -- the fact that he did that on his own initiative puts him in a much darker place as a character -- which will be fun to see how it all plays out.