Graduating Players

I saw an article where Santonio Holmes could not attend the Pittsburgh minicamp as he had not graduated yet and some asked if this applies to us as well. The Jason Hall blog on the front of TBD says he went to minicamp then want back to Tennessee to graduate. He was a senior and the rule might have only applied to underclassmen. I am sorry if I missed it, but did anyone ever get clarification on this? Thanks!

I saw an article where Santonio Holmes could not attend the Pittsburgh minicamp as he had not graduated yet and some asked if this applies to us as well.  The Jason Hall blog on the front of TBD says he went to minicamp then want back to Tennessee to graduate.  He was a senior and the rule might have only applied to underclassmen.  I am sorry if I missed it, but did anyone ever get clarification on this?  Thanks!

693374[/snapback]

"OHIO STATE FINAL EXAMS: Many fans are worried that because Ohio State has quarters instead of semesters that Donte Whitner and Ashton Youboty won't be able to practice with the Bills until training camp. After reading the story by ESPN's Len Pasquarelli on fellow OSU player Santonio Holmes, I could understand why you'd be concerned.

I did a little legwork with the fine people in the Bills front office to get the official answer on when Whitner and Youboty can practice.

First, Whitner and Youboty will be able to practice this weekend at the rookie orientation camp.

The NFL/NCAA rule states that one minicamp is allowed within 15 days after the draft for rookies. That minicamp must be over a weekend.

Rookies may then return to the NFL club May 16th OR after their final exam.

OHIO STATE'S final exam schedule runs late (June 5-8). Both Youboty (who is still taking classes) and Whitner cannot participate in any OTAs (after the minicamp this weekend) until after the final exam schedule at Ohio State is complete.

So Youboty and Whitner will not be eligible to practice in the OTA scheduled for late May, but they will be able to practice in the mid-June OTA. In essence they'll miss a handful of practices based on the rule.

Hope that helps everyone.

---"

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=204