A message has been sent

The whole payraise debacle from last year cost the two top Republican State Senators their jobs yesterday. Votes are still being tallied, but there is a possibility that close to 15 incumbents could lose their jobs over this one issue. WOOHOO!!

Special thanks needs to go to Russ Diamond for organizing Operation Clean Sweep. A former libertarian, he was responsible for raising the public's awareness of the issue and keeping it in the limelight until this election. It had a major impact on getting voters out and voting out the theives that passed this payraise bill in the middle of the night.

A message has been sent. This could be the largest incumbent bloodbath in over three decades. November could be interesting.

The whole payraise debacle from last year cost the two top Republican State Senators their jobs yesterday. Votes are still being tallied, but there is a possibility that close to 15 incumbents could lose their jobs over this one issue. WOOHOO!!

Special thanks needs to go to Russ Diamond for organizing Operation Clean Sweep. A former libertarian, he was responsible for raising the public's awareness of the issue and keeping it in the limelight until this election. It had a major impact on getting voters out and voting out the theives that passed this payraise bill in the middle of the night.

A message has been sent. This could be the largest incumbent bloodbath in over three decades. November could be interesting.

692773[/snapback]

I voted against every incumbent at every level of government yesterday. I love doing that.

I voted against every incumbent at every level of government yesterday. I love doing that.

692777[/snapback]

I thought you were a registered libertarian?

What does that have to do with voting out incumbents? 

In VA, and I realize it may be different there, but you can vote in any primary.

692789[/snapback]

Not in PA. Primary voting is for Dems and Reps only, unless there is a referendum. If there is a referendum, then third party/independents can only vote on the referendum and not for any candidates. Under PA election laws, minor parties use the nomination process (not a primary process) to determine their candidates.

692773[/snapback]

Ohio's incumbent "RINO"s - Republican In Name Only - did poorly in our primaries a few weeks ago.

692773[/snapback]

I'm reading a book called "Team of Rivals" about Lincoln. It had a discussion about the viability of one-issue parties. I don't think a one-issue party could sweep an election, but it could make a mess of it. I'd like a "shrink-the-govt by 15% in 6 years" party. I might vote for just about anyone if they promised to do just that one thing.

I'm reading a book called "Team of Rivals" about Lincoln. It had a discussion about the viability of one-issue parties. I don't think a one-issue party could sweep an election, but it could make a mess of it. I'd like a "shrink-the-govt by 15% in 6 years" party. I might vote for just about anyone if they promised to do just that one thing.

693044[/snapback]

I also do not see the viability of a one-issue party. It can make an impact in a handful of races in one election (maybe two), but it does not have longevity. An example in PA would be the Santorum-Casey battle. Toss up a pro-choice candidate and you screw both Santorum and Casey (both are pro-life) and you might even win.

Even though Operation Clean Sweep is mainly Libertarians, there are also some from the big two in there. Of course, the Reps and Dems have killed all legislative actions which would make the PA election laws constitutional (there are several which are currently unconsitutional, as determined by federal court rulings). The bills that I wrote and the VCA are all stuck in committee at this point. Hell, Rendell formed the Election Reform Task Force to come up with ways for the political system in PA to be more equitable and fair for caniddates and voters. I took one section of the final report (absentee ballots) and wrote a bill specifically addressing recommendations of the Task Force. I only chose the items which were unanimous among the committee members and then sent the bill to a member of the committee for sponsorship. They refused to sponsor a bill containing the exact recommendations they prescribed in their report. Another perfect example of lip-service to the constituents. "See, we want things to be fair. We just will not support any measure to actually enact these recommendations." :blink:

The only shot that third parties have is to keep the pay raise issue in the minds of the voters and to get third party candidates on the ballot. The Reps and Dems are doing everything they can, however, to prevent any third party candidates from getting on the ballot.

693044[/snapback]

how is that book? i have heard good things about it and had it in my hand last week....... i went with a book by Frederick Douglas instead.

how is that book?  i have heard good things about it and had it in my hand last week.......  i went with a book by Frederick Douglas instead.

693119[/snapback]

So far, it's fantastic. The structure is magnificent. Doris Goodwin takes different issues from the lives of Lincoln and his "team" of rivals and compares how they each dealt with the issues: family, beginning politics, slavery, etc. It's a fun way to compare the strong and often opposed personalities of Lincoln, Bates, Seward, and Chase. Plus, you get 4 bios for the price of 1.

I'm by no means a Civil War buff, having spent much of my non-fiction life reading about the Revoilutionary War, so there may be better perspectives on these men, but I am enjoying it.

I read her book on the FDR: also fascinating.

692773[/snapback]

Hear, hear. Jubelirer looked like he was in shock, didn't he? Good times...

I mean, really, what were those assclowns thinking?

694539[/snapback]

I am suprised Petri (Bucks County) made it through. Not only did he take the payraise, but when everyone else was giving it back, he kept it. His reason? He already spent it on improvements to his house. :wacko:

how is that book?  i have heard good things about it and had it in my hand last week.......  i went with a book by Frederick Douglas instead.

693119[/snapback]

i opted for the book about the monkey and the dude in a yellow hat

693044[/snapback]

I think it could, with the following nuance:

If I were to create a party, I would pick just one or two defining positions and say that is who we are - on those issues we lead, and on all others we follow. So suppose I choose fiscal discipline, say. If elected, I am going to fight hardest to balance the budget, period. On all other issues, from gun control to logging to abortion to immigration, I'll more or less do what my constituancy wants. In line with this, party members can have great diversity of opinion on any issue outside the core.

Maybe it's wishfull thinking that it could work, but it certainly addresses the central problem faced by the voter who wants to vote based on issues instead of party loyalty. Each party endorses so many positions that they really are not in aggreement with any voters. The result is that you get politicians talking only plank A to group A while downplaying B, and talking plank B to group B while downplaying A, based on pollster analysis.