More outsourcing

I don't think Toyota or Honda have made very good minivans

though their minivans still manage to beat out the Big 3 versions in quality and reliability

lately, I've found Hondas to be more expensive than Toyotas...perhaps because they're slightly more "flashy"? i do know the interior of hondas now look pretty damn good while toyotas still seem kind of bland

the civic/camry costs more than the corolla/accord

even the honda fit is like a grand more than the toyota yaris

694549[/snapback]

Actually, I saw the Consumer Reports and replaced my Corolla with a Mazda 3 (made in Japan) last year primarily because the reliability ratings were as good as a Corolla but the 3 had more style, drivability and a significantly superior interior. Also, the Toyota dealers were too arrogant and could not get me a Matrix with stick and ABS whereas the Mazda dealer went out of his way to make sure I got the exact car I wanted. 1 year and NO issues yet - love the 3.

Honda has been wildly successful with an inexpensive tag. I own 2, and have owned 3 in the last 15 years. In 15 years, I've never had a single breakdown. No recalls. No mechanical problems of any kind. My 13 year old Accord has a little rust, but other than that, it runs fine. My previous Accord had 190K miles on it when I sold it for 2K(!).

I've heard similar testimonials from Toyota owners. I've heard that Lexuses last for about 500K miles and never break down.

I've never heard someone say anything like that about a single American car. Ever.

I don't know why the Japanese cars are so superior than the American cars but they are. And as a consumer, that's what I care about.

693037[/snapback]

It is actually the CONSUMER and their perception...

My 1994 Chrysler has well over 1/4 million miles on it is going strong... You can't say things don't wear out, because they do... It is all how you maintain the beast.

My 1998 Isuzu is a piece of crap... The Japs won't honor the warranty 1 mile over the warranty period, unlike the easy going domestic companys... Just from my experience...

There is a service life to everyhting.

I have never owned a foreign vehicle and my chevy has 2oo.ooo miles and needed brakes, exhaust and basic maintence so far... I can see my truck needing frontend work sometime down the road after I smash into a lexus to see how indestructible jap vehicles are :doh: no offence hirohito.

It is actually the CONSUMER and their perception...

My 1994 Chrysler has well over 1/4 million miles on it is going strong... You can't say things don't wear out, because they do... It is all how you maintain the beast.

My 1998 Isuzu is a piece of crap... The Japs won't honor the warranty 1 mile over the warranty period, unlike the easy going domestic companys... Just from my experience...

There is a service life to everyhting.

695068[/snapback]

Isuzu is not exactly a quality name.

Isuzu is not exactly a quality name.

695356[/snapback]

Go figure...

The Rodeo I have is rebadged as a Honda... :P:(

I noticed Subaru name and company info on the door plate also... It (Isuzu) is 40% GM owned and is considered the Japanese truck line (sorta GMCesque for the Japs)...

Chevy used to rebadge the the S-10 for them...

So I guess Honda and GM aren't "quality" names??...

All motor vehicle names are junk... You just gotta pick the best junk, a crap shoot.

Over-priced rip offs... Why? Because you need transportation...

<_<0:)

What's more American - a Ford Mustang or a Toyota Sienna? If you look under the hood and beyond the name, you might be in for a surprise. New statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and reported in Thursday's Wall Street Journal show that the Sienna, assembled in Indiana, contains 90 percent North American parts. On the flipside the Mustang - an American icon - is assembled with 45 percent of its components coming from abroad.

694619[/snapback]

but...but...but....outsourcing BAD!

but...but...but....outsourcing BAD!

695366[/snapback]

Yes, it is bad. At least some jobs have got to stay here... It makes sense that it would be the assembly. Autos always need to be assembled?

Parts, IMO, can come from all over... It is the assembly that I consider important.

Keep the jobs that a one-income, family of four can live on here in the states.