More outsourcing

I wonder if WNY was even on the short list...

692834[/snapback]

heh. That's funny.

:blink:

Seriously, I find it amazing that their production is N. America lags behind the market demand. Aren't the Japanese masters of "Just In Time" production?

Seriously, I find it amazing that their production is N. America lags behind the market demand. Aren't the Japanese masters of "Just In Time" production?

692853[/snapback]

Depends on their strategy - at what point is it better to make a step change in production in the consuming nation versus importing. Also JIT refers to the assembly process - reduce the time between needing parts for assembly and their delivery to the plant site. That reduces inventory & storage while streamlining the overall car assembly process.

Honda has been wildly successful with an inexpensive tag. I own 2, and have owned 3 in the last 15 years. In 15 years, I've never had a single breakdown. No recalls. No mechanical problems of any kind. My 13 year old Accord has a little rust, but other than that, it runs fine. My previous Accord had 190K miles on it when I sold it for 2K(!).

I've heard similar testimonials from Toyota owners. I've heard that Lexuses last for about 500K miles and never break down.

I've never heard someone say anything like that about a single American car. Ever.

I don't know why the Japanese cars are so superior than the American cars but they are. And as a consumer, that's what I care about.

Honda has been wildly successful with an inexpensive tag. I own 2, and have owned 3 in the last 15 years. In 15 years, I've never had a single breakdown. No recalls. No mechanical problems of any kind. My 13 year old Accord has a little rust, but other than that, it runs fine. My previous Accord had 190K miles on it when I sold it for 2K(!).

I've heard similar testimonials from Toyota owners. I've heard that Lexuses last for about 500K miles and never break down.

I've never heard someone say anything like that about a single American car. Ever.

I don't know why the Japanese cars are so superior than the American cars but they are. And as a consumer, that's what I care about.

693037[/snapback]

I have the best experience with Toyotas (Corollas specifically). But have had numerous problems with my 2000 Odyssey. Not sure what happened, but they screwed up on this one. Ofcourse, my definition is totally relative but I have had 3 automatic door problems in the first 2 years, transmission crapping out (covered by Honda voluntarily extending the warranty), EGR valve crapping out (again covered by 'extended' warranty) and several brake jobs. My Corollas have been totally trouble free for their first 7-8 years of ownership. Sorry to hijack the thread.

I have the best experience with Toyotas (Corollas specifically). But have had numerous problems with my 2000 Odyssey. Not sure what happened, but they screwed up on this one. Ofcourse, my definition is totally relative but I have had 3 automatic door problems in the first 2 years, transmission crapping out (covered by Honda voluntarily extending the warranty), EGR valve crapping out (again covered by 'extended' warranty) and several brake jobs. My Corollas have been totally trouble free for their first 7-8 years of ownership. Sorry to hijack the thread.

693104[/snapback]

That's cool. I wonder if anyone will stick up for American cars. To echo you, however, I'd recommend Toyotas over Hondas. They're probably a touch more expensive, but they have better reputations. My next car will likely be in the Toyota family.

That's cool. I wonder if anyone will stick up for American cars. To echo you, however, I'd recommend Toyotas over Hondas. They're probably a touch more expensive, but they have better reputations. My next car will likely be in the Toyota family.

693133[/snapback]

Nothing beats Chrysler. The way the headgasket spews out oil is just music to my ears.

No seriously, I've owned 2 American cars and I'm never going back.

693104[/snapback]

I don't think Toyota or Honda have made very good minivans

though their minivans still manage to beat out the Big 3 versions in quality and reliability

lately, I've found Hondas to be more expensive than Toyotas...perhaps because they're slightly more "flashy"? i do know the interior of hondas now look pretty damn good while toyotas still seem kind of bland

the civic/camry costs more than the corolla/accord

even the honda fit is like a grand more than the toyota yaris

What about Kenny's Pinto? :wacko:

I have a 2005 Accord and love it.

693037[/snapback]

What's more American - a Ford Mustang or a Toyota Sienna? If you look under the hood and beyond the name, you might be in for a surprise. New statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and reported in Thursday's Wall Street Journal show that the Sienna, assembled in Indiana, contains 90 percent North American parts. On the flipside the Mustang - an American icon - is assembled with 45 percent of its components coming from abroad.

I don't think Toyota or Honda have made very good minivans

though their minivans still manage to beat out the Big 3 versions in quality and reliability

694549[/snapback]

I can only go from second hand experience on this. I have two friends with Siennas. They both love them. As a passenger, I liked them both.

My parents have a Dodge minivan and it's a piece of garbage.