In football as in hockey...

"Ruff has put his players in a position to succeed - which is the defining quality of any top head coach."

I felt all last season that Mularkey did no such thing. Let's hope Dickie J. understands what team means, and how one can make the most of limited resources by playing to strengths and building a team concept.

I say you take the best players and then structure system to the personnel. All this talk reminds me of Gregg Williams' first year: "I'm going to set the league on fire with my "46" hybrid". If Whitner and McCargo were the players that Marv and co. had rated the highest then fine, same as tripplett in free agency. A system is just a way of managing the players that you have. I don't think you go out and get players that "fit the system". You go out and get the best players availible and then tailor a scheme to them.

I say you take the best players and then structure system to the personnel. All this talk reminds me of Gregg Williams' first year: "I'm going to set the league on fire with my "46" hybrid". If Whitner and McCargo were the players that Marv and co. had rated the highest then fine, same as tripplett in free agency. A system is just a way of managing the players that you have. I don't think you go out and get players that "fit the system". You go out and get the best players availible and then tailor a scheme to them.

692467[/snapback]

That all depends on how many players you already have on the team. If half of you defence or offence are FA's then this would work. But even then, you have to have an idea of what kind of system you are wanting to run before you start judging who the best players available are.

Typically you run a system best suited to the players you already have and then bring in the players that will fit this system. You wouldn't go out and sign a FA that plays a completely different system then the players already on your team and force the rest of the team to adapt to the new system.

That all depends on how many players you already have on the team. If half of you defence or offence are FA's then this would work. But even then, you have to have an idea of what kind of system you are wanting to run before you start judging who the best players available are.

Typically you run a system best suited to the players you already have and then bring in the players that will fit this system. You wouldn't go out and sign a FA that plays a completely different system then the players already on your team and force the rest of the team to adapt to the new system.

692476[/snapback]

And Kevin Gilbride just wouldn't listen to you guys. Tsk tsk tsk!! LOL!!!

And Kevin Gilbride just wouldn't listen to you guys.  Tsk tsk tsk!! LOL!!!

692508[/snapback]

The way Marv is running things is very remeniscent of Greggo if you ask me. Marv has an infatuation with the Tampa cover 2 scheme and had to hire Jauron to run it. Greggo had an infatuation with the west coast offense and had to hire Mike Sheppard as the offensive coordinator. I think the west coast offense has been every bit as successful in the NFL as the cover 2; therefore I don't think we can say Marv is smart for hiring a coach that knows how to run a particular scheme. Like I mentioned earlier Jauron is reminding me of Greggo "We're going to make a run at the sack record because I know how to run Buddy Ryan's "46" hybrid." Jauron: "We're going to win because I can coach the cover 2". Systems are just a way tto manage your players.

The way Marv is running things is very remeniscent of Greggo if you ask me. Marv has an infatuation with the Tampa cover 2 scheme and had to hire Jauron to run it. Greggo had an infatuation with the west coast offense and had to hire Mike Sheppard as the offensive coordinator. I think the west coast offense has been every bit as successful in the NFL as the cover 2; therefore I don't think we can say Marv is smart for hiring a coach that knows how to run a particular scheme. Like I mentioned earlier Jauron is reminding me of Greggo "We're going to make a run at the sack record because I know how to run Buddy Ryan's "46" hybrid." Jauron: "We're going to win because I can coach the cover 2". Systems are just a way tto manage your players.

692624[/snapback]

jauron was hired becuase Marv liked him as a coach. Jauron was the one who decided on the cover-2. Whether that is the right call or not remains to be seen, but Marv didn't hire a coach that fit his system.

692467[/snapback]

With your logic, the sabres would be sitting home right now with zhitnik and satan still on the roster... ;)

With your logic, the sabres would be sitting home right now with zhitnik and satan still on the roster... ;)

692640[/snapback]

Not a Sabres fan my man. Bill Bellichick comes up with a new scheme practically every week. His first season in New England they played a 4-3 then when he had the players he switched to a 3-4. It was like when Wade was here he was flexible and switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in order to get Cowart on the field or in other words the best players out there. I am not advocating bringing Wade back. I just want someone flexible and maybe Jauron will be; however right now he seems more like Greggo than Bellichick.

692467[/snapback]

Sounds great if you don't think too hard about it. But when you do, it is easy to see how this all falls apart.

Not a Sabres fan my man. Bill Bellichick comes up with a new scheme practically every week. His first season in New England they played a 4-3 then when he had the players he switched to a 3-4. It was like when Wade was here he was flexible and switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in order to get Cowart on the field or in other words the best players out there. I am not advocating bringing Wade back. I just want someone flexible and maybe Jauron will be; however right now he seems more like Greggo than Bellichick.

692643[/snapback]

I will agree that what got Belicheck very far was his ability to disguise schemes, make his opponents unsure and uncomfortable, and respond in a very clever way to specific opponents. It's funny that this in a way means the opponent dictates his game. But at their best (regardless of the good calls that I would argue they got), NE won because they were so chameleon-like and able to tailor their game to whatever the situation called for. That and good assistants and sharp quarterbacking.

Now please allow me a few moments to throw up in my mouth.

I always knew Sullivan was right about one thing, I just could never figure out what that one thing was.

692992[/snapback]

:blink:

Sullivan seems to be a bit of a miser (I know some have worse words for him) a lot of the time. When optimism catches him or he tries for insight instead of vitriol, he can actually have some good things to say and good ways to say them. Unfortunately the Buffalo sports disease that hits a lot of us here from time to time seems to grab a hold of him more often.

Why? I understand resentment, but why hate a successful franchise because ours hasn't been? We should HOPE that the Bills emulate that model.

693006[/snapback]

1) They're in our division.

2) I don't like Tom Brady, as a person.

3) I don't believe in God (Tedy Bruschi)

4) They have gotten some crucial calls their way.

5) I respect them, but grudgingly so. Just because I can admit the Cowboys of the 90s and the perfect Dolphins team in the 70s were well-built or well-coached (not JJ, Shula) doesn't mean I have to like them. In fact, I hate them both far more than the Pats.

I sure do hope the Bills can emulate their model, so they can wax the M!@#$s twice a year.

Edit: how does Mazzholes (sub 's' for 'z') get censored out? Boooooo.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

:blink:

Sullivan seems to be a bit of a miser (I know some have worse words for him) a lot of the time.  When optimism catches him or he tries for insight instead of vitriol, he can actually have some good things to say and good ways to say them.  Unfortunately the Buffalo sports disease that hits a lot of us here from time to time seems to grab a hold of him more often.

692999[/snapback]

I have a vision of Jerry Sullivan trying to write that article, desperately trying to be positive while his uncontrollable left hand (ala Dr. Stranglove) tries to write something cynical. He has to close a drawer on his hand several times to make it stop. :doh:

PTR