Favorite Far Side Cartoon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not find my favorite on the web. I liked it so much that I ordered a framed print.

The scene is a courtroom filled with cats. The jury are all cats. The judge is a cat. Everyone in the courtroom is a cat except the defendant and his lawyer. As the dog defense lawyer is making his passionate closing argument to the jury of cats, he points to his dog defendant and states:

"Does this look like a cat killer to you? Cat chaser maybe, but hey, who isn't?"

Being a lawyer, I especially loved this one.

I can't find mine in a Google search but I always loved the one where there was a long straight line of American Indians, maybe 20 of them as I recall. And they were all in profile, looking straight ahead so the viewer could only see the side of their bodies and faces. And they all looked identical, except the 19th of the 20 who had his thumbs in his ears, wagging them. making an absolutely crazy goofy face, and facing the viewer. And the caption read: "Second to the Last of the Mohicans."

Couldn't find my favorite either, but it was simply a drawing of a recently opened cocoon, and directly next to it on the same branch was a spider web in which the recently hatched butterfly was snared immediately upon his release. The butterfly is stuck in the web, and both his arms are folded, and it looks kinda pissed. There was no caption. Just a pissed butterfly. Very funny stuff.

I would like to find the image online... Not sure where you can find them?... Yet, I was always found of the one with a boy wearing glasses and a nerdy striped shirt standing next to a fish bowl with a hose running from it out the window. His obviously proud mom is saying to the guest sitting on the couch next to her: "Oh, there goes Lenny again -- draining off the goldfish bowl. He wants to one day work for the Army Corps of Engineers, you know."

I just did a Google search to try to find some of my favorites.  Instead, I found one I'd never seen before that I really liked.

Link

692057[/snapback]

Did you notice he's pouring that right over Buffalo. Must've been during football season. :lol:

Mine

Yours? (please link to an image if you can)

691992[/snapback]

This is one of the all-time greats. It hits home with me as I experience this on a regular basis, and then think of the cartoon. Another one that I think of regularly, in the course of life is this gem:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discu...mesg_id=2089623

IMO, most cartoon strip "books" suck as they are just a collection of the comic strips. One exception is "The Prehistory of the Far Side". It is BRILLIANT. It shows his early cartoons (with commentary) and then shows the early drafts of some of his classic along side the final version with hysterical comments on the editing process, etc. If you like The Far Side, this book is a MUST:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083621851...glance&n=283155

If that doesn't work, just Google "Prehistory of the Far Side"

I can't find it, but there was one where there were 3 bears in the woods. One bear is apparently telling a story to the other two and says, "Is it true? Is it true? Is the pope Catholic? Does a bear...., well I know you do, Angelo."

I think it's the 'Angelo' that gets me.

IMO, most cartoon strip "books" suck as they are just a collection of the comic strips.  One exception is "The Prehistory of the Far Side".  It is BRILLIANT.  It shows his early cartoons (with commentary) and then shows the early drafts of some of his classic along side the final version with hysterical comments on the editing process, etc.  If you like The Far Side, this book is a MUST:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083621851...glance&n=283155

If that doesn't work, just Google "Prehistory of the Far Side"

692075[/snapback]

That book is awesome. I bought it when I was in college and laughed my ass off. The early stuff and editorial comments are classic.