Landscapers: Did you plant anything interesting?

SDS

Sod is excellent and of course more expensize than grass. The problem is all sod is not alike as with any things, you get what you pay for. Most builders are looking for initial curb appeal and keep whatever the cheapest sod they can find watered well enough that it looks good initailly. In the south you can buy St Augustine and or Centiped sod as well as the seed. Both do well in sun and shade , but they are creeping grass ( runners ) , and if you grew up in the north no matter how hard you work at it it never looks right in  my opinion. If you do your research and go to a garden shop/ nursery they can usually hook you up with the best sod mixyure for your area / light/ water conditions.

692094[/snapback]

I think that's what the builder did for the front lawn. I've only been there two months and it's already dying. And, yes, I have been watering it. ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro, i do not know where you live, but be mindful of planting a lot of stuff between now and lets say mid-september. I live in Richmond Va, and the stress of the summer months just to hard on most newly planted landscaping/grass. If were in the mis atlantic and south, just bite the bullet and live with the yard for a few more months, and plant in the fall. Same goes for grass.

Yea, it may be a few months of looking like chit, but in the long run the plants will be healthier and bigger and brighter with a fall planting.

BTW, I also recommend Lawn Doctor in the fall. They have a machine called a power seeder, which pysicallly implants the seed in the soil, and i have had a lot better results than just plain aeration and overseeding.Little more expensive than just a plain aeration, but worth it in my opinion.

Also, this year I used Ferti-Lome weed preventer/fertilizer for my early spring application, and i would highly recommend that. My front yard looks great.As a matter of fact, i am only person on the street that does not have my yard "professionaly"taken care of, and all my neighbors have complimented me on how my lawn looks the best this year. Thank goodness they can't see my back yard!!!!

692146[/snapback]

Bro?? ;);)

You have a point about planting new plants/grass in the summer. I've heard about that too. But the summers here in Oregon usually don't get too hot. Just a few days here and there. Besides, if I can get something in there in the next week or so we still have about a month and a half of rainy/cool weather left. But, I may just wait until fall to plant stuff since I'm thinking of doing some patio work first anyway. :rolleyes: