Landscapers: Did you plant anything interesting?

SDS

Most grass should be blends.  A monolithic seeding would leave the turf open to disease and weather related stress.  Now, maybe you are dealing with southern turf varieties which I know little about, but northern grasses are usually blended.  You might plant all tall fescue, but even then it will be a blend of different fescues.

692050[/snapback]

That would make seeding with a mix better than sod... I would expect the sod to be mixed too yet, it might not do so well in some places? Unless you specifically know what you are getting?

It seems to me that you can better match your yard conditions with more of a fine tuned mixture of seed... And it will do better than sod? Do they offer different types of sod (mixture wise)?

And take less water to get it going?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Most grass should be blends.  A monolithic seeding would leave the turf open to disease and weather related stress.  Now, maybe you are dealing with southern turf varieties which I know little about, but northern grasses are usually blended.  You might plant all tall fescue, but even then it will be a blend of different fescues.

692050[/snapback]

Ours was supposed to be Bermuda sod, but there was clearly fescue in there, and some other sort of weird looking stuff. This is obviously not my area of expertise, I just know that my in-laws thought we got hosed with what they put down. We were going to aerate and then re-seed at some point. It really looked like ass.

So far this year :

1 . 2 New double Gardenia's can't remember the name right now to go with the 2 August beauties I planted last year.

2. 11 Hosta's

3. 4 Rose bushes, plus a Lady Banks climbing yellow rose.

4. 2 New Little Kim Lilacs since these are supposed to do better in the NC heat.

5. 2 More Peonies.

6. Started a new cactus garden with 7 different varities of Optunia cactus.

7. 2 toad lilies, 6 ornamental lilies, 4 Dahlias approx 6 flats of bedding plants.

8. 3 new clematis , one new variant of wisteria that has a bluish /purple flower set.

9. 3 new Rhodies form a local hybridizer, I'll see if they can take the summer heat soon, and 2 new azaleas that are native to the NC montain areas . I am planning on some new encore azaleas in the fall , unless I can get them in the ground Memorial day weekend.

Last years Daphnes wintered over very well and are doing fine as well as the 3 Rose of sharon bushes that were put in last year. I lost alot of plants 3 years ago during a drought when I spent most of the summer in Europe so it is recovery time.

Sod is excellent and of course more expensize than grass. The problem is all sod is not alike as with any things, you get what you pay for. Most builders are looking for initial curb appeal and keep whatever the cheapest sod they can find watered well enough that it looks good initailly. In the south you can buy St Augustine and or Centiped sod as well as the seed. Both do well in sun and shade , but they are creeping grass ( runners ) , and if you grew up in the north no matter how hard you work at it it never looks right in my opinion. If you do your research and go to a garden shop/ nursery they can usually hook you up with the best sod mixyure for your area / light/ water conditions.

Well, right now I have a bunch of dirt and stumps in my yard.   :P  Since I've moved here about 2 months ago I have had two trees taken out and my back yard plowed.  My yard is facing west so it gets mostly afternoon sun so I'm going to have to find some sun-loving plants.  I have a couple so far but will be adding some more soon! I hoping to have most of the yard finished by the end of summer.  I'll also have a nice tan by then too.   :lol:

691990[/snapback]

Bro, i do not know where you live, but be mindful of planting a lot of stuff between now and lets say mid-september. I live in Richmond Va, and the stress of the summer months just to hard on most newly planted landscaping/grass. If were in the mis atlantic and south, just bite the bullet and live with the yard for a few more months, and plant in the fall. Same goes for grass.

Yea, it may be a few months of looking like chit, but in the long run the plants will be healthier and bigger and brighter with a fall planting.

BTW, I also recommend Lawn Doctor in the fall. They have a machine called a power seeder, which pysicallly implants the seed in the soil, and i have had a lot better results than just plain aeration and overseeding.Little more expensive than just a plain aeration, but worth it in my opinion.

Also, this year I used Ferti-Lome weed preventer/fertilizer for my early spring application, and i would highly recommend that. My front yard looks great.As a matter of fact, i am only person on the street that does not have my yard "professionaly"taken care of, and all my neighbors have complimented me on how my lawn looks the best this year. Thank goodness they can't see my back yard!!!!

Also, this year I used Ferti-Lome weed preventer/fertilizer for my early spring application, and i would highly recommend that.

692146[/snapback]

I've used Fertilome products for years. You're right - they are excellent.

It's good to pay attention to grass shoot and root growth when fertilizing.

Cool season grasses start increasing their rate of shoot growth in February (in theory) and root growth shortly thereafter, whth shoot growth peaking in mid-April and root growth in the beginning of May. Then both taper down and bottom out in August, and then go through a gradual rise peaking in Oct-Nov.

So it's best to put down that high-phosphorous winter fertilizer in December or later when the grass is fully dormant. Snow cover is a problem.

Warm season grass shoots and root growth rate increase begins in mid-March and ramps up and stays high until September, when it gradually slows and stops at the end of November.

I keep my turf long - shades the soil and retains moisture. The rule of not cutting it by more than 1/3 is true - a severe cut slows root growth, and causes stress because energy is directed to replacing lost leaves. It can take several weeks to recover, and it's tapping into carbohydrates it has stored to get through winter or stressful weather.

We plant mostly drought-tolerant stuff here in the desert. I've spent the past few years converting our traditional sprinkler system to a drip system, and I've finally got it covering the whole front and back. We relandscaped our backyard last year, so we're mostly filling in and just enjoying the fuller growth this year.

No grass, but I did plant some oriental poppies this year!

95% of my stuff was planted last April.  This month we have just been replacing and exchanging a small percentage that didn't survive or didn't look right.

I will try to be snappier on the security updates.  We were only a few weeks behind.  I didn;t realize IPB boards were under a large scale attack.

692054[/snapback]

Don't mind him. Whenever he feels violated, he gets a little short. ;);)

95% of my stuff was planted last April.  This month we have just been replacing and exchanging a small percentage that didn't survive or didn't look right.

I will try to be snappier on the security updates.  We were only a few weeks behind.  I didn;t realize IPB boards were under a large scale attack.

692054[/snapback]

Don't take that tne of voice, and stand up when you're talking to me.

Oh sorry it was you Scott, go ahead and sit back down, didn't realize you were standing already. ;)

Oh sorry it was you Scott, go ahead and sit back down, didn't realize you were standing already.    ;)

692309[/snapback]

you reached with that one...

then again, you have to reach for everything else! ;)

Oh sorry it was you Scott, go ahead and sit back down, didn't realize you were standing already.    ;)

692309[/snapback]

if someone planted VA..watered him..gave him sunlight, and cared for him..would he grow? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

yes, you do....  If you live in hot weather and want a dead azalea, make sure it gets blistering sun all day!

We found the best value was to get a design at the local nursery (a large one with substantial stock) and then get that money back through the plant purchase.  We did that and our landscaping smokes any of our neighbors by a country mile.  We planted almost 140 plants!

691961[/snapback]

now we know who has all the money