Landscapers: Did you plant anything interesting?

SDS

We swapped out some inkberry hollies for Rose Glow Barberries, planted some Fuji Blue Balloon Flowers, swapped out coastal leucanthoe for Mountain Fire Andromeda, planted some blue star junipers and added some more Firepower Nandinas...

I saw some Scottish Broom at the nursery today that really kicked ass. I hope I can work that in somewhere, but we are pretty full right now.

What's being planted in your bed's this spring (other than some homely chicks from the local bar)?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We swapped out some inkberry hollies for Rose Glow Barberries, planted some Fuji Blue Balloon Flowers, swapped out coastal leucanthoe for Mountain Fire Andromeda, planted some blue star junipers and added some more Firepower Nandinas...

I saw some Scottish Broom at the nursery today that really kicked ass.  I hope I can work that in somewhere, but we are pretty full right now.

What's being planted in your bed's this spring (other than some homely chicks from the local bar)?

691924[/snapback]

When I was married, my ex seemed to have some knowledge of that stuff....she was always talking about how such and such was a "full sun" flower, or "low sun"....whatever....do you have to pay attention to how all that stuff you mentioned goes together, or can you pretty much just go with it and give each type their own little area? I don't know a damn thing about landscaping, other than the fact that I love how a nicely manicured lawn looks. I also enjoy being out in one, too, so next time I buy a house I may have to pick some brains around here about how best to do things.

When I was married, my ex seemed to have some knowledge of that stuff....she was always talking about how such and such was a "full sun" flower, or "low sun"....whatever....do you have to pay attention to how all that stuff you mentioned goes together, or can you pretty much just go with it and give each type their own little area? I don't know a damn thing about landscaping, other than the fact that I love how a nicely manicured lawn looks. I also enjoy being out in one, too, so next time I buy a house I may have to pick some brains around here about how best to do things.

691942[/snapback]

yes, you do.... If you live in hot weather and want a dead azalea, make sure it gets blistering sun all day!

We found the best value was to get a design at the local nursery (a large one with substantial stock) and then get that money back through the plant purchase. We did that and our landscaping smokes any of our neighbors by a country mile. We planted almost 140 plants!

yes, you do....  If you live in hot weather and want a dead azalea, make sure it gets blistering sun all day!

We found the best value was to get a design at the local nursery (a large one with substantial stock) and then get that money back through the plant purchase.  We did that and our landscaping smokes any of our neighbors by a country mile.  We planted almost 140 plants!

691961[/snapback]

Holy sheeeaat....that's a helluva lot of plants, lol. I'll bet it either really looks nice or really WILL look nice once you're done with it!

Well, right now I have a bunch of dirt and stumps in my yard. :P Since I've moved here about 2 months ago I have had two trees taken out and my back yard plowed. My yard is facing west so it gets mostly afternoon sun so I'm going to have to find some sun-loving plants. I have a couple so far but will be adding some more soon! I hoping to have most of the yard finished by the end of summer. I'll also have a nice tan by then too. :lol:

Well, right now I have a bunch of dirt and stumps in my yard.  :lol:  Since I've moved here about 2 months ago I have had two trees taken out and my back yard plowed.  My yard is facing west so it gets mostly afternoon sun so I'm going to have to find some sun-loving plants.  I have a couple so far but will be adding some more soon! I hoping to have most of the yard finished by the end of summer.  I'll also have a nice tan by then too.  :lol:

691990[/snapback]

I sure hope yours turns out better than mine did when I bought my house. I don't know where the hell they got the sod from, but it had like three different kinds of grass in it :P

I sure hope yours turns out better than mine did when I bought my house. I don't know where the hell they got the sod from, but it had like three different kinds of grass in it  :lol:

692001[/snapback]

I am not sure... Yet, don't want to sound like a wise-ass, but this would sound logical?... Right?... That is why I would be against using sod.

How does the place (sod farm) know where the cut sod will be used?... I don't think they sell diferent types (sun, partial, and shade grass)?... So logically, I would think they cover all bases in the sod they cut...

I am not sure on this, but this logic detered me away from getting sod... Especially in a very sunny location... I planted seed and it seems better off in the long run than some that went the sod route...

I've been getting a sh--load of starter trees from the Natonal Arbor Day Foundation in those white plastic sleeves. So far: 10 Flowering trees (dogwoods, etc.), 5 blue spruce, 3 hazelnut bushes, and today 5 rose of sharon. I don't quite know what to do with it all, nor why they're coming in the first place.

In the garden, trying some peppermint this year beside my stalwart chives. Will be doing several tomato plants (you ain't had a tomato 'til you've had a CT tomato --- it's just something in the soil). Spinach. Might try some kale. Cucumbers did really well last year but if I look at another one I'm going to yark, not to mention the vines and curlicues go everywhere.

I am not sure... Yet, don't want to sound like a wise-ass, but this would sound logical?... Right?... That is why I would be against using sod.

How does the place (sod farm) know where the cut sod will be used?... I don't think they sell diferent types (sun, partial, and shade grass)?... So logically, I would think they cover all bases in the sod they cut...

I am not sure on this, but this logic detered me away from getting sod... Especially in a very sunny location... I planted seed and it seems better off in the long run than some that went the sod route...

692037[/snapback]

Most grass should be blends. A monolithic seeding would leave the turf open to disease and weather related stress. Now, maybe you are dealing with southern turf varieties which I know little about, but northern grasses are usually blended. You might plant all tall fescue, but even then it will be a blend of different fescues.

I planted a 12 ft. yoshino cherry tree this spring.

692023[/snapback]

I was looking at those today too... We are clearing a lot of junk trees from the back yard and I need to decide what I want to replace them.

So while you have been out planting flowers you let the server get viruses, and infect all of our machines.  Where are your priorites?

691982[/snapback]

95% of my stuff was planted last April. This month we have just been replacing and exchanging a small percentage that didn't survive or didn't look right.

I will try to be snappier on the security updates. We were only a few weeks behind. I didn;t realize IPB boards were under a large scale attack.