The Official 'I was never off the Sabres Bandwagon

We're somewhere around $12 million under the current cap.

Redden is a terrific player and if he doesn't stay in Ottawa someone is going to make him rich - it won't be us.  Current max salary is just under $8 million.  We don't have anyone even close to that and Redden is gonna be near that number when he signs his new deal.  He'll likely give the Sens first crack with a hometown discount but I doubt if he leaves it'll be for an amount we could offer.

That said, I'm not sure I want the guy after watching him basically ole' Pominville on that last goal.  You can't teach "want" and players who have the chance to legally clean someone's clock in OT with their season on the line but instead go for the "stick over" may never reach that level.  Hard to say if just being a Senator/Maple Leaf/insert other underachieving franchise causes that.

On JP's goal, I think no one expected him to cut in front of the net, but rather to pass the puck there. I think Redden expected that, and figured that IF he nailed JP, he'd get a penalty, maybe a penalty shot. JMO.

But I agree that I wouldn't want the guy, much less at the salary he'll command.

BTW, what is the Sabres' cap number, and can they spend MORE than it? You'd think no, but since there are other teams with higher salary caps, there'd be some ability for the Sabres to spend over their own.

I was always one of the very few members of the obscure "Darcy Regier is excellent" club because I've always thought he's done a great job working within the constraints this organization places on GM's. But I admit I had soured on Ruff lately because I didn't think he was doing a very good job with the team. I thought he had done a fine job with the team when it was younger but that he didn't seem to be a good fit with teh Sabres as they became more of a veteran oriented club. I'm glad the Sabres kept him on because watching him B word-slap Capt. Kangaroo and Bryan Murray has been a ton of fun.

I just saw an interview with Redden on OLN, talking about all of the changes in store for Ottawa. He is the one Senator "superstar" that impressed me in this past series. He is an unrestricted free agent..........

Redden is a terrific player and if he doesn't stay in Ottawa someone is going to make him rich

He's definitely one guy I had targeted if teh Sabres make the mistake of losing McKee in the offseason. I've always liked his game and think he's a very good fit for this league (and a good fit for the counter-attacking Sabres with his outstanding breakout passes). But he had some horrific moments in that series and created a bunch of opportunities for the Sabres with repeated misplays in 4 of the 5 games. Now I'm not sure what to think as I have no interest in seeing the well-built Sabres add guys who are great in the regular season but then flag when the games start to count.

You hooked yet?

692092[/snapback]

I'd definitely be hooked if I lived in a more hockey oriented town - it is pretty cool to go to the sports bar to watch the Reds game (while the Sabres game is on) while wearing my Bills sweatshirt and have Sabres fans come up and shoot the sh-- with me...Buffalo sports fans are much different from those here in Cincy

I was always one of the very few members of the obscure "Darcy Regier is excellent" club because I've always thought he's done a great job working within the constraints this organization places on GM's. But I admit I had soured on Ruff lately because I didn't think he was doing a very good job with the team. I thought he had done a fine job with the team when it was younger but that he didn't seem to be a good fit with teh Sabres as they became more of a veteran oriented club. I'm glad the Sabres kept him on because watching him B word-slap Capt. Kangaroo and Bryan Murray has been a ton of fun.

That may well have been true, Simon. For sure, he and Miro coudn't have co-existed for another season. But I wouldn't consider this version of the Swordsmen "veteran-oriented", either -- Grier and Drury are the oldest forwards on the roster, and I can remember Drury pitching that LLWS game.

Holy cow - looking at the roster, I didn't realize McKee is only 28. And even if they can't re-sign him, this team could be good for a LONG time.

[habs fan]

Crap.

[/habs fan]

;)

Redden is a terrific player and if he doesn't stay in Ottawa someone is going to make him rich - it won't be us.  Current max salary is just under $8 million.  We don't have anyone even close to that and Redden is gonna be near that number when he signs his new deal.  He'll likely give the Sens first crack with a hometown discount but I doubt if he leaves it'll be for an amount we could offer.

692091[/snapback]

From the tone of this article, and a few others I have seen, it sounds like Redden is getting to the point of being fed-up in Ottawa with a soft team...as far as the Pomminville thing goes, I can't think of a single Sabres defensemen who hasn't made a worse defensive play...it is just the nature of the position...IMO, Redden trusted his teammates too much to take Pomminville out. Wasn't it Alfredson who had the best chance to impede Pomminville?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20060515/ca...nhl_sens_wrap_1

Either way, I see your point on the salary being too high...