Job Interviews

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would Greg Williams say? :blink:

693016[/snapback]

Ah, yes, don't forget your lists. Bring lots of lists. Lists have to have a lot of names because the first 10 names on them might already be employed.

5. Beware the dreaded "what is your weekness" question. It is a trap. (Good call Hockey Sherpa)

691609[/snapback]

Yeah, standard interview bs. This is more of a screening type question. I've been on both ends. I stopped asking it during interviews because I was embarrassed at how stupid people can be. When people tell you, "My biggest weakness is that I'm never on time." Thanks for coming, don't call us, we'll call you.

As far as answering said question, I think the best response I've heard or used is turning a weakness into a strength. "My biggest weakness is my dedication to work, sacrificing my personal time, to put in extra time at work." Stuff like that. As soon as employers hear someone telling them their faults they have already eliminated you from canidacy.

The interview went "OK". There was a female and a male present giving me the interview......they were impressed by me to say the least, however,I know I probably spoke aloud too much. It was very different than I expected actually. I estimate they are probably 5-8 people going for the same position. Once they screen over the list, the big boss picks from the candidates.

As I was leaving I saw another individual waiting to be interviewed. He was much older than me. I think my age/and experiece such as work history will hurt me......however my education will not.

I am pretty sure I got another interview soon. Its closer to me and has the same pay. I guess I'll be playing the waiting game once again ........errr :)

-- 15 minutes is too much; you're "hanging out" in the office and appear too desperate. Five minutes early, more like, even if you just wait in your car for the other ten.

I disagree. I found it to be a good sign of consideration for my time and they are serious about the job. I wish a had a dime for every interviewer that ran late and wasted my time...

691644[/snapback]

I agree w/ James on this one. If you show up at the receptionist's desk 15 minutes early and she calls to the interviewer 15 minutes early the interviewer is very likely going to be in the middle of something else. It is expected that people (especially job seekers) be on time, but it is annoying to have someone show up too early.

If I set up a meeting with someone for 10:00, I expect to meet with them at 10:00, if I wanted to meet at 9:45, I'd have set the meeting up for 9:45.

But yeah, make certain you aren't LATE, even if it means hanging out in your car for a while before hand.

The interview went "OK". There was a female and a male present giving me the interview......they were impressed by me to say the least, however,I know I probably spoke aloud too much. It was very different than I expected actually. I estimate they are probably 5-8 people going for the same position.  Once they screen over the list, the big boss picks from the candidates.

As I was leaving I saw another individual waiting to be interviewed. He was much older than me. I think my age/and experiece such as work history will hurt me......however my education will not.

I am pretty sure I got another interview soon. Its closer to me and has the same pay. I guess I'll be playing the waiting game once again ........errr :)

693756[/snapback]

What questions did they ask?

What questions did they ask?

693761[/snapback]

None actually haha

they gave me a list of questions and had me go down the list and answer them while they wrote down everything I said hah

hm......

define professionalism

give 3 examples of teamwork

name ur strength

name ur weakness

gave a cple questions regarding the job and crisis situations and how I would address them

several about the particular job and how I would do it and blah blah blah

and finished up with , career goals

and then asked them some questions

I agree w/ James on this one.  If you show up at the receptionist's desk 15 minutes early and she calls to the interviewer 15 minutes early the interviewer is very likely going to be in the middle of something else.  It is expected that people (especially job seekers) be on time, but it is annoying to have someone show up too early.

If I set up a meeting with someone for 10:00, I expect to meet with them at 10:00, if I wanted to meet at 9:45, I'd have set the meeting up for 9:45.

But yeah, make certain you aren't LATE, even if it means hanging out in your car for a while before hand.

Let me restate my position. I would arrive 15 minutes early because it calms your nerves, gives you a change to gather your thoughts and time to review your resume. It is more of a comfort thing. You don't need to enter the building or run right to the receptionist. Use common sense. Again, because I had such a tight schedule, I appeciated them on-time or early.

Let me restate my position. I would arrive 15 minutes early because it calms your nerves, gives you a change to gather your thoughts and time to review your resume. It is more of a comfort thing. You don't need to enter the building or run right to the receptionist. Use common sense. Again, because I had such a tight schedule, I appeciated them on-time or early.

693778[/snapback]

Which is what James suggested and you disagreed with.

-- 15 minutes is too much; you're "hanging out" in the office and appear too desperate. Five minutes early, more like, even if you just wait in your car for the other ten.

I disagree. I found it to be a good sign of consideration for my time and they are serious about the job. I wish a had a dime for every interviewer that ran late and wasted my time...

691644[/snapback]

Dave, are you coming down for the game Saturday? I'm gonna put you in the boards. :)  I stand corrected. Just be early dammit!

Trust me being early or on time is a big plus in your corner.

693815[/snapback]

:lol:;):lol:

No, going to any home games that will be played so I don't have the time or money to head down to the land of the Caniacs.

If you make it up for any games at the Mmarena, drop me a PM, I'll buy you a beer and then we can see who will put who into the boards. :P

:):lol:;)

No, going to any home games that will be played so I don't have the time or money to head down to the land of the Caniacs.

If you make it up for any games at the Mmarena, drop me a PM, I'll buy you a beer and then we can see who will put who into the boards. :lol:

693862[/snapback]

Caniacs! That is funny. There is NO buzz for the series down here. They haven't even sold out any of the home games at RBC.

Yeah, standard interview bs.  This is more of a screening type question.  I've been on both ends.  I stopped asking it during interviews because I was embarrassed at how stupid people can be.  When people tell you, "My biggest weakness is that I'm never on time."  Thanks for coming, don't call us, we'll call you. 

As far as answering said question, I think the best response I've heard or used is turning a weakness into a strength.  "My biggest weakness is my dedication to work, sacrificing my personal time, to put in extra time at work."  Stuff like that.  As soon as employers hear someone telling them their faults they have already eliminated you from canidacy.

693416[/snapback]

Seriously? I feel like this is such a predictable/canned/chalk/brown-nosing answer. You actually eat that up as an interviewer?