Job Interviews

Ok, I have a job interview Thursday and I have a question. Don't worry its not what to wear or how to act because I know all of that haha. I just recently resigned from being a counselor with a company because of the way they took advantage of their employees and clients.

My questions is what do YOU say when they ask why they should hire you? I think the question makes one sound sorta egotistic.

Also, what other questions have you been asked and how did you answer them?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have a job interview Thursday and I have a question. Don't worry its not what to wear or how to act because I know all of that haha. I just recently resigned from being a counselor with a company because of the way they took advantage of their employees and clients.

My questions is what do YOU say when they ask why they should hire you? I think the question makes one sound sorta egotistic.

691531[/snapback]

Normally, I simply say "Because I can walk on water and divide by zero, and I'm humble."

WORST question I've ever been asked, by far, was "What are your mission critical skill sets?" I answered: "I leverage my core competencies to create new paradigms." And got the job on the strength of that answer. :P:doh:I thought I was being sarcastic...

Normally, I simply say "Because I can walk on water and divide by zero, and I'm humble."

WORST question I've ever been asked, by far, was "What are your mission critical skill sets?"  I answered: "I leverage my core competencies to create new paradigms."  And got the job on the strength of that answer.  :P  :doh:I thought I was being sarcastic...

691536[/snapback]

haha

if I said something like that they would put me in with the people I'm trying to help LOL

691531[/snapback]

Just be honest. Tell them you're qualified and you're hung like a horse.

691531[/snapback]

Here's your answer: You should hire me because the moment I think you're taking advantage of your clients and employees, I'm going to quit.

I'd focus on the difference between confidence and arrogance. When I'm asked the "why should we hire you?" question, I tailor it to their particular needs. In my profession, they want people who are competent, customer service-oriented, professional, and critical thinkers. I take those four criteria and go to the interview equipped with examples of how I exhibit each of those qualities.

One of the questions I've been asked a few times is, "what do you consider your weaknesses?" Be careful with that one :doh:

What I tend to do - and this has a lot to do with the climate of heath care right now, so I don't expect it to translate to every position - is take a proactive stance in the interview to the degree that it's almost as if I'm interviewing them. I think it's important to ask questions and really give them the impression that you see yourself in the position you are interviewing for.

Lastly, I think the biggest mistake that people make after an interview (at least this is true of my friends) is the lack of follow-up. The first thing I do after the interview is type up a follow-up letter, thanking them for their time during the interview, reiterating what I said in my cover letter PRIOR to the interview, and keeping my name fresh in their mind. If I've not heard anything after about a week, I place a follow-up phone call and basically do the same thing I did in the follow-up letter. I've never had to go beyond that point, but if I DID, then I would.....I'd follow-up about once per week until I got the job or they chose someone else.

There is only one job I've interviewed for and did not get. It was with Arbitron Ratings Corp back in 1995. I mis-spelled "Tucson" :P In 1999 I applied for a position with Charter Behavioral Health as a Crisis Counselor. I REALLY wanted that job, but my only qualification was a BA in Psych. There were other people who were more qualified. But after a strong interview and one follow-up letter, I was offered the job. The director said, "you know what really impressed me? It was your cover letter." So at least in this case, doing it the right way and really showing them I wanted the job was the right formula.

My father is a very successful corporate guy who has interviewed people all of his life, so I learned a lot of this from him. It's a formula that really does work.

WORST question I've ever been asked, by far, was "What are your mission critical skill sets?"  I answered: "I leverage my core competencies to create new paradigms."  And got the job on the strength of that answer.  :P  :doh:I thought I was being sarcastic...

691536[/snapback]

That's a great story. :P;)

691531[/snapback]

I have a lot of experience with interviews. I never liked that question, but when I asked something like it the best answers were along the line of this:

"It isn't my style to blow my own horn, but if you talked to my former co-workers I feel pretty confident that they would tell you I am _________, able to ________ ."

By framing it in the relationships of co-workers you at once show them you are not an egoist, and that you receptive to feedback and perceptions of those working with you.

If you left a job recently, resist all opportunities to bad-mouth your former employer, or work situation. Be honest, but direct answers toward what you learned rather than

any residual feelings you may have. Nobody wants to hire a disgruntled employee.

ajzepp,

I'm sending you a PM next time I get an interview because I suck at them. I've always done the thank you letter but rarely follow up after that - I always figured a letter was more than what most people do and anything beyond that would be too pushy.

crackur,

I've actually never been asked "why should we hire you" but just about every question is asking that in an indirect sort of way. I think if you prepare 4 or 5 examples of behavorial type questions which I hate (give me an example of when a customer was upset, etc.) the other types of questions are easy in comparison.

Dude, if you really think you're helping someone on a message board get a job...well, you're just about as big an idiot I've always thought you were, then.

691594[/snapback]

it doesn't take much for you to think i'm an idiot so i won't dispute it with you.

and don't call me dude