Soccer Reminder: FA Cup and

BUMP

Just because the Champions League Final is today at 2:30pm on ESPN2.  Arsenal vs. Barcelona.

I set my VCR so I can watch it after work.  (I hope the TIVO nerds will forgive me for still having a VCR).

This should be a classic game.

692916[/snapback]

Barcelona will win. 2 goals by Ronaldhino.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone give me a primer on the differences between the UEFA Cup and the Champions League - mainly on who's eligible and how they qualify?

693170[/snapback]

For Champions League

In Italy, the top 4 squads in the league qualify for Champions League. In England it is the same thing. I think, the more difficult the league, the more teams qualify for it.

For UEFA Cup

In Italy, the #5-#8 squads in the league qualify for UEFA Cup.

In some countries, like Germany for example, only the top 3 teams qualify for the Champions league, meaning the 3-6 team could possibly be eligible for UEFA cup. It all depends on the difficulty of the league. Italy, Spain and England have the most difficult leagues and get the most clubs eligible for UEFA Cup and Champions League.

Of course, another eligibility is that the squad must be a European Club.

The game was just 'ok', mainly because of what happened with the Arsenal goalie getting ejected early on. Arsenal's subsequent goal was absolutely beautiful but, as Meazza pointed out, the opportunity for the goal came as a result of a dive. Arsenal was at a disadvantage with only 10 guys to Barcelona's 11, but they were able to protect their lead into the second half. Barcelona's first goal was nice, but their second was more the result of Arsenal being w/out their starting keeper. The last ten mins of the match were mostly Barcelona playing keep away.

The game would have been much better if not for the damn red card.....but oh well, it was still something to see. Championship soccer under the lights...pretty cool :)

The game was just 'ok', mainly because of what happened with the Arsenal goalie getting ejected early on. Arsenal's subsequent goal was absolutely beautiful but, as Meazza pointed out, the opportunity for the goal came as a result of a dive. Arsenal was at a disadvantage with only 10 guys to Barcelona's 11, but they were able to protect their lead into the second half. Barcelona's first goal was nice, but their second was more the result of Arsenal being w/out their starting keeper. The last ten mins of the match were mostly Barcelona playing keep away.

The game would have been much better if not for the damn red card.....but oh well, it was still something to see. Championship soccer under the lights...pretty cool :)

693281[/snapback]

I would have made a big bet at the beginning of the season that Juventus FC would be the club carrying home the trophy this year. I mean, if you look at their team, they clearly have one of the best teams in the world, but they didn't. I guess European refs are not as easily bribed as the ones back home.

I would have made a big bet at the beginning of the season that Juventus FC would be the club carrying home the trophy this year.  I mean, if you look at their team, they clearly have one of the best teams in the world, but they didn't.  I guess European refs are not as easily bribed as the ones back home.

693287[/snapback]

lol, I was thinking about you when the news of the resignations in Italy scrolled along the bottom of the screen during the game today. Sounds like it was a bit of a mess. Hopefully they get that cleaned up, cause there's no place for that kind of crap.

lol, I was thinking about you when the news of the resignations in Italy scrolled along the bottom of the screen during the game today. Sounds like it was a bit of a mess. Hopefully they get that cleaned up, cause there's no place for that kind of crap.

693291[/snapback]

It won't. It has been going on for 10 years, probably even more. Imagine you found out that the New York Yankees cheated through half of their world series.

Luciano Moggi (GM of Juve) would send hitmen to the refs houses and force them to call the game in his favor.

What kills me is that it's blatantly obvious. It's like the steroid scandal in baseball. Noone believes it until they finally get caught. Or else everyone's eyes are closed.

It won't.  It has been going on for 10 years, probably even more.  Imagine you found out that the New York Yankees cheated through half of their world series.

Luciano Moggi (GM of Juve) would send hitmen to the refs houses and force them to call the game in his favor. 

What kills me is that it's blatantly obvious.  It's like the steroid scandal in baseball.  Noone believes it until they finally get caught.  Or else everyone's eyes are closed.

693296[/snapback]

wow, what a shame.....is that going on in other Euro leagues, too, do you think??

wow, what a shame.....is that going on in other Euro leagues, too, do you think??

693297[/snapback]

I don't know, i doubt it though. Maybe Nick in England could fill us in but I really doubt that it is that corrupt in other leagues.

Renaldino, Shevchenko and Henry > Maradona

693303[/snapback]

you're phuckin crazee

the guy won 2 scudettos for Napoli, on his own. Go see any other time in Napoli history that they were competitive.

He won a WC for Argentina on his own.

Ronaldhino is great

Sheva is spectacular but he has a great team around him since his first year in Milan. Ukraine never did anything.

Henry... is spectacular but is not better than Maradona. Henry needs that guy next to him like Trezeguet, Maradona needs his cocaine and he's fine.

Good stuff.....I love Pele highlights :)

I was surprised that Ronaldihno was so quiet today.....Henri was really active in the beginning, and that one shot he put on goal was a friggin rocket. I was hoping to see Ronaldihno put on more of an exhibit than he did. Looks like Barcelona will be in the states for a few games this summer.....wish I could go to one :D