New Sabres game thread

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN is deep throating emery today.I'll give him credit, the guy played well. stepped up his game when needed. But c'mon, he wasnt a world beater.

690051[/snapback]

. He can do the 'straight on' shots well, but he commits early, so if you can mis-direct him, you've pretty well got him (pending you put it in the net). He gave us a lot of opportunities, I saw him beat a few times last night in much the same way he's been beat before, we just didn't finish.

So it is your fault!

690036[/snapback]

Don't sweat. I'm out. I didn't join the bandwagon to watch a team lose. I already have a team that does that in grand fashion. I'll go back to just watching football.

Unless the Sabres advance, then I may join the bandwagon again. Until they lose. Then I'm out. Unless the win. Then I'm in.

(Man, at this point you should just add 300 pounds to me and hang a steak around my neck, a '70s sweatband around my head, and put me in a cube next to NG.)

.  He can do the 'straight on' shots well, but he commits early, so if you can mis-direct him, you've pretty well got him (pending you put it in the net).  He gave us a lot of opportunities, I saw him beat a few times last night in much the same way he's been beat before, we just didn't finish.

690056[/snapback]

Emery also gives up a ton of rebounds. Last night, we didnt get a lot of screens in front of him, and for once he decided to hang on to a lot of shots. As you said, we did beat him a few times and couldnt hit the net tho.

About finishing, i cant remember the last time i watched a sabres game and didnt say..."damn, if max could actually finish, he'd score 50-60 goals every season."

How is this any different than any other Buffalo team? When was the last time Buffalo team showed killer instinct?

It's something about this town.

689968[/snapback]

Sounds like a different tune is being sung. Imagine if they lose to a rejuvenated Sens team on the road Sat night? Then the pressure starts to shift and the Sabs will be desperate to close out the series in their last home opportunity. Will the kids be able to handle it?

Emery also gives up a ton of rebounds. Last night, we didnt get a lot of screens in front of him, and for once he decided to hang on to a lot of shots. As you said, we did beat him a few times and couldnt hit the net tho.

About finishing, i cant remember the last time i watched a sabres game and didnt say..."damn, if max could actually finish, he'd score 50-60 goals every season."

690114[/snapback]

Ohhh, yeah. He seems to have calmed a bit, but early in the Philly series he was being "classic Max." Unbelieveable puck handling all the way down the ice, juking a couple opposing players along the way, lines up a great shot and "wide of the goal." :D

He got better once he realized he didn't have to "carry the team himself." Still could finish better, of course...

Good news is all of the Sabres' major issues should be able to be corrected by Saturday.

Getting Max to shoot on time will probably always be a nuisance, but not finishing off easy goals is something we can correct and I doubt you'll see the Sabres repeat that performance. I think Lindy will have them prepared to just END IT for this Game Five.

Sounds like a different tune is being sung.  Imagine if they lose to a rejuvenated Sens team on the road Sat night?  Then the pressure starts to shift and the Sabs will be desperate to close out the series in their last home opportunity.  Will the kids be able to handle it?

690161[/snapback]

They definitely will have the "underdog" moniker back if Game 6 is necessary and the team has thrived (nearly) all season in that mode.

IF Ottawa wins game 5, I have every expectation that the Sabres will play their best game of the post season on Monday.

Anyone else says that, I'd agree.

You say that, and I start to worry that they're gonna lose a series up 3-1.  :D

690379[/snapback]

Ah but he was pretty pessimistic about the team earlier today, so I think that takes precedence with the hockey gods.

We need to keep JSP negative, otherwise we're doomed. Dooooooomed I tells ya!

What's with this stuff about sports Gods?  Were these Gods asleep when the Lightning/Stars/Cowboys/Patriots/Ravens/Lakers were winning championships?

690388[/snapback]

The hockey gods work in mysterious ways...clearly we were sinful in 99 (I have some indirect proof that Richard Smehlik used to eat orphans...cute orphans). But hark, you saw what happened in the Game Four thread! Violence! Hatred! Brother Against Brother! Sinful acts that the hockey gods punished us for with a loss.

We must repent for our arrogance, so we do not forget the sins of the past!

:D

True, but lets try not to forget that Buffalo has a very good team too....maybe I just don't know what I am watching, but I really don't think the Sabres played nearly as bad tonight as everyone else. 

The Senators are a good team, hockey is a game of ebbs and flows, Sabres had their chances to win, Ottawa had theirs. These teams are pretty evenly matched.  IMO, the difference was Emery stepping up his game two notches.  I have a tremendous amount of confidence that Buffalo can win one of the next three games.  To lose tonight was not a shock.

689930[/snapback]

I think the Sabres played excellent too... I thought Ryan Miller should have been third star.

:D