Hello Mr. Bettman? This is NBC...

I'm sure that NBC gave a little phone call over to the commish's office and requested some help with the officiating in the remaining games.

If all the series hold out, we are looking at Buffalo, Carolina, Anaheim, and San Jose as the final 4 teams. No canadian team, and more importantly, NO big market team. NBC is probably shitting a brick over the outcome last nights games. And i'm loving it!

The only question is, who are the announcers going to ball wash?

I'm sure that NBC gave a little phone call over to the commish's office and requested some help with the officiating in the remaining games.

If all the series hold out, we are looking at Buffalo, Carolina, Anaheim, and San Jose as the final 4 teams. No canadian team, and more importantly, NO big market team. NBC is probably shitting a brick over the outcome last nights games. And i'm loving it!

689297[/snapback]

Well, Anaheim is part of the LA market (#2 Market in the Country) and San Jose is part of the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Market (#6). But other than that, your point is well taken.

Here is the sad thing:

Maybe if Bettman put an emphasis on marketing the sport better, it would not matter as much to see 4 small market teams in the playoffs.

The NHL IMO has one BIG problem that most people overlook:

In today's sports fan world, newspapers are more obselete, even reading articles on the internet are still good, but now all the rage is E$PN Sportscenter and sports talk radio....fans today need instant gratification...need to hear their sports opinions and scores in a flash...and these outlets cater to that craving.

Take a look at the biggest "personalities" in sports radio:

Mike and Mike E$PN: They hate hockey, period.

Mike & The Mad Dog (NYC): They can tolerate the NHL, but clearly as a 5th option at BEST

Dan Patrick: I don't think he talks about the NHL at all (please correct me if I am wrong)

Jim Rome? Not sure about him either....

Colin Cownerd: Listened to him twice, does he discuss the NHL??

I'm taking a small sample here, but let's be fair, a LOT of fans today listen to these "personalities" and formulate their sports interests and opinions based on what they say or discuss. So if these "personalities" are not disccussing the NHL, how can newer sports fans be expected to watch the NHL when nimrods like Mike and Mike keep putting down the NHL???

Colin Cownerd:  Listened to him twice, does he discuss the NHL??

I'm taking a small sample here, but ;et's be fair, a LOT of fans today listen to these "personalities" and formulate their sports interests and opinions based on what they say or discuss.  So if these "personalities" are not disccussing the NHL, how can newer sports fans be expected to watch the NHL when nimrods like Mike and Mike keep putting down the NHL???

689304[/snapback]

No Cownerd will not talk hockey. He compares it to the rock group Radiohead, either you love them or hate them. No hockey fans sit on the fence. He also ranted Tuesday about how bad the TV numbers were. I emailed him and asked if he'll be talking about American Idol soon.

Guy is a moron. I miss Kornesier.

689297[/snapback]

Don't really think NBC cares. They really have little skin in the game, they split production costs with the NHL, and then split revunues once they have generated enough to cover their costs.

Now the NHL OTOH, prolly would like more nothing better than the Rangers and Detroit, or the Devils and the Kings, but alas, llok lkike those two dream pairings are gone.

I would also think if they had their druthers, no Canadians team. Their deal with CBC and TSN profitable for both sides, whether canadian team in or not

In these days of ESPN, instant updates, and internet boards, should market size really matter anymore?

An example: LeBron James. Cleveland is not a huge market, and yet, every sports fan in the United States knows who LeBron is and that he plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

His Nike (and other) commercials are seen by everyone, and LeBron gets just as much attention as he would in New York or LA. All thanks to technology, IMO.

Mike

No Cownerd will not talk hockey. He compares it to the rock group Radiohead, either you love them or hate them. No hockey fans sit on the fence. He also ranted Tuesday about how bad the TV numbers were. I emailed him and asked if he'll be talking about American Idol soon.

Guy is a moron. I miss Kornesier.

689310[/snapback]

I don't think anyone at ESPN other than Barry Melrose even acknowledges the NHL. Right now, playoff hockey ranks behind playoff NBA, early regular-season MLB, horse racing, NASCAR, and golf.

I don't think anyone at ESPN other than Barry Melrose even acknowledges the NHL. Right now, playoff hockey ranks behind playoff NBA, early regular-season MLB, horse racing, NASCAR, and golf.

689357[/snapback]

You forgot poker. :devil:

Maybe if Bettman put an emphasis on marketing the sport better, it would not matter as much to see 4 small market teams in the playoffs.

689304[/snapback]

Here's the thing it could be NYC vs. LA in the finals and it won't be a ratings bonanza. The thing they have to focus on is building new stars for the NHL and emphasizing the team first concept as a counter to most pro sports these days. This really could be a boon to the NHL if handled correctly with good skating, exciting play, and plenty of scoring.

In these days of ESPN, instant updates, and internet boards, should market size really matter anymore?

An example:  LeBron James.  Cleveland is not a huge market, and yet, every sports fan in the United States knows who LeBron is and that he plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers. 

His Nike (and other) commercials are seen by everyone, and LeBron gets just as much attention as he would in New York or LA.  All thanks to technology, IMO.

Mike

689352[/snapback]

It still matters. Ratings are HUGE in the local markets and the bigger the market, the bigger that local viewing has on the national rating. Also, there are far more dis-placed people from New Jersey around the country than from Carolina.

Here's the thing it could be NYC vs. LA in the finals and it won't be a ratings bonanza.  The thing they have to focus on is building new stars for the NHL and emphasizing the team first concept as a counter to most pro sports these days.  This really could be a boon to the NHL if handled correctly with good skating, exciting play, and plenty of scoring.

689390[/snapback]

They are trying. Why do you think the NHL tried to really push the development of Crosby as the new representation of the "New NHL". He was supposed to be the next Lebron James, a young player who would bring back excitement to the game.

IMHO, the NHL needs to continue the strong advertising campaigns, pushing these new superstar players. Ryan Miller comes to mind as a possible fan favorite, a young American goaltender who in his rookie season has shined.

They are trying.  Why do you think the NHL tried to really push the development of Crosby as the new representation of the "New NHL".  He was supposed to be the next Lebron James, a young player who would bring back excitement to the game.

IMHO, the NHL needs to continue the strong advertising campaigns, pushing these new superstar players.  Ryan Miller comes to mind as a possible fan favorite, a young American goaltender who in his rookie season has shined.

689398[/snapback]

Right, just saying it won't happen overnight and everyone shouldn't sweat a small market finals this years since there's no matchup that would bring a great rating. It'll take time and in the meantime it's probably a good thing that the NHL is getting some fresh faces rather than the same old same old.

Well, Anaheim is part of the LA market (#2 Market in the Country) and San Jose is part of the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Market (#6).  But other than that, your point is well taken.

689298[/snapback]

So he's half right? Course nobody in LA give a chit aboot hockey. :devil: