Speedy WLBs coveted during draft, free agency

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2439793

according to this, having 2 smaller faster OLB's is becoming more and more popular.

This is a great article relating to the Bills D. It doesn't talk about the Bills, or their change to the Cover 2; but does show how faster linebackers are better for the Cover 2. (Crowell & Spikes)

I am wondering though, if Middle and Strong side line backers are getting smaller; are they going to stop the run as well? The article indicates some of the bigger OLB (Posey) are getting used as DE; and some of those DE's getting moved inside to DT (kelsay????is that possible?) as teams try to get faster on the D-Line for the Cover 2.

Aren't O-Lines going to have a field day in the running game? Smaller D-Lines...smaller LB's. Maybe not Buffalo's, but good run blocking o-lines should have an easier time with smaller front 7's.

anyway, interesting article. the whole time reading it, i kept thinking it was about Buffalo without mentioning the bills at all...

Yep, good article.

I didn't quite think of Buffalo the whole time, but it did surface a few times. I was also a little confused, isn't Spikes on the large side for a will?

I also wondered that small linebackers would be weak against a Cloud of Dust type running team. Although there sure seems to be a lot fewer of them around these days.

Yep, good article.

I didn't quite think of Buffalo the whole time, but it did surface a few times.  I was also a little confused, isn't Spikes on the large side for a will?

I also wondered that small linebackers would be weak against a Cloud of Dust type running team.  Although there sure seems to be a lot fewer of them around these days.

688518[/snapback]

yea Spikes is on the large side for WLB, but speed is more important here than size. And Spikes has the speed for sure.

for teams who go to this style, will there even be a WLB and SLB...or just 2 OLB?