Hit on Connolly

Was it a clean hit?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a clean hit?

• Clean hit
    • Deliberate elbow to the head

I am curious to find out what you guys think. I know that there a lot of people on this board who thought it was a clean hit. Other people thought the opposite. Don Cherry and most of the media have characterized it as a clean hit.

Personally, I watched the replay over and over again on my DVR and honestly believe that Schaefer hit him with the elbow/forearm.

Yet, having played hockey, this play is an example of the old maxim that you better keep your head up -- especially if you are going across the middle in the neutral zone.

I really like Connolly and the way he came back to play at the level he has played. I really hope that he has a speedy recovery and no lingering (physical or mental) effects from this play.

It was questionable.

A elbow did come up, but I don't really think it was deliberate. Looked more like a natural response to the hit he was about to be involved in.

If it was deliberate, it was disguised perfectly.

If TC was in mor eof an upright position he would have been caught squarely in the chest. Because he crouched a bit, maybe bracing for the blow, as it looked like he saw it at the last second, he took the brunt of it in the jaw. I don't think there was anything deliberate about it.

Anyone?

687462[/snapback]

It's the old "day by day." In other words, they won't say until they have to...just from the language I'm hearing being used, indications are that he was kept out last night as a precautionary measure, but then again, as others have said, Hitchcock was saying much the same about Umburger...

Latest I'm seeing is that Connolly and Kalinin are both listed as questionable.

As a satanic former GM of a different Buffalo sports franchise was fond of saying: "Stay tuned..."

I thought the hit was definitely clean. Schaeffer tried to put his shoulder into Tim's chest and Tim kept fading lower as the hit approached. I can't blame Schaeffer for getting an elbow into the puck carrier's jaw when the guy is that low and he had begun lining him up when the puck carrier was up higher.

I haven't heard how Tim is, but hopefully he didn't get a concussion and will be back tomorrow night. That's what Ruff was intimating during his postgame press conference.

It's the old "day by day."  In other words, they won't say until they have to...just from the language I'm hearing being used, indications are that he was kept out last night as a precautionary measure, but then again, as others have said, Hitchcock was saying much the same about Umburger...

Latest I'm seeing is that Connolly and Kalinin are both listed as questionable.

As a satanic former GM of a different Buffalo sports franchise was fond of saying: "Stay tuned..."

687487[/snapback]

Thanks Dan. As I said last night the shield that he's wearing now might have helped kim in the hit.

I'm actually not too worried about Timmy missing time. If he does, we have more than enough depth on our lines to at least be able to compensate his production. It'll be hard to match it, but I dont think we'll suffer any huge drop off.

However, I'm terrified of Kalinin being hurt. Images of Rory Fitzpatrick have entered my head...and I'm scared for the Sabres.

I'm actually not too worried about Timmy missing time.  If he does, we have more than enough depth on our lines to at least be able to compensate his production.  It'll be hard to match it, but I dont think we'll suffer any huge drop off.

However, I'm terrified of Kalinin being hurt.  Images of Rory Fitzpatrick have entered my head...and I'm scared for the Sabres.

687505[/snapback]

It's unclear when Kalinin was hurt in what proved to be a hard-hitting game. But Kalinin twice left the game to go to the locker room and was spotted walking with a heavy limp afterward.

I too hope Kalinin is ok. Rory scares me.

I'm very glad to see the poll results as they are (currently 88% clean). My initial reaction to the hit was that it looked cheap, but as the replays were shown it was clear to me that Connolly just put himself in a baaaaad position.

Go get 'em Wednesday, Swordsmen!!!

I'm very glad to see the poll results as they are (currently 88% clean).  My initial reaction to the hit was that it looked cheap, but as the replays were shown it was clear to me that Connolly just put himself in a baaaaad position.

Go get 'em Wednesday, Swordsmen!!!

687537[/snapback]

I would have been upset if one of the Sabres didn't make that hit if given the chance.

If you watch, Connoly pretty much lowers himself into the elbow...not sure whether it was a brace for impact type scenario or what, but it was perfectly clean.

Looked totally clean to me...Timmy lowered his head and kind of ran into it.

687413[/snapback]

What they said. If TC hadn't gone low, it still would've been a Carubba Collision... but one Connolly probably would've skated away from.