Big Bang Theory Obsolete?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this board for the past little while, I can no longer believe in Intellegent Design

687424[/snapback]

Well, at least you've taken the proper time and done enough research to form your opinion ;)

For starters, who the hell puts a sewage line through a recreational area?...

687383[/snapback]

You've obviously never seen the Army Corps of Engineers at work then... ;)

To anyone wanting to know a bit more on this topic of the universe, explained in decent terms, i suggest picking up the book, stephen hawkings universe. Or i could mail you some copies of some scientific american articles on universe formation and string theory etc.

After reading this board for the past little while, I can no longer believe in Intellegent Design

687424[/snapback]

i never did. I just offered it up as fodder for the hounds.

Just for perspective, science doesn't even have an answer yet for the common cold. I think to expect there to be anything more than theories on how the universe came to be is a bit far fetched. And that is not meant to be evidence in favor of intelligent design....just to be a reminder this isn't something we can study and replicate in a lab. I think the field of science is amazing, and it's clearly necessary, but it's also not nearly as exact as many would lead you to believe. And that's not just an opinion ;)

I've offered this up before. Here is a link to a page that will allow you to download Scott (Dilbert) Adams' book "God's Debris". It's a short book about a theory that the universe is the result of God destroying himself. Interesting little spin for your brain.

When I was in school the theory was expand and contract... Now the galaxies are increasing their speed, not slowing down to eventual collapse...Is that because of limiting gravity of seperation or another physical law, pulling the galaxies faster and further into space such as dark matter...Interesting subject, I use to love watching the show cosmos, and reading books about these subjects...Its that time of year to set up the telescope and enjoy a beautiful night gazing, and wondering..

Just for perspective, science doesn't even have an answer yet for the common cold. I think to expect there to be anything more than theories on how the universe came to be is a bit far fetched. And that is not meant to be evidence in favor of intelligent design....just to be a reminder this isn't something we can study and replicate in a lab. I think the field of science is amazing, and it's clearly necessary, but it's also not nearly as exact as many would lead you to believe. And that's not just an opinion ;)

687488[/snapback]

Actually, theories are never facts. A theory is just a way of explaining the observable universe; what separates a good theory from a bad one is the degree to which it explains observation and to which it predicts future behavior or the as-yet unobserved. It's why the theory of Van der Waals forces explains geckos better than the one-legged spherical gecko model: both may explain why geckos stick to walls...but one of the theories doesn't allow geckos the ability to walk, which they clearly do.

But theories ain't fact, regardless. A very good theory can "act" like a fact, but it still isn't one. And evolution is, in fact, a very good theory - it explains and predicts a lot that can't otherwise be explained or predicted. The Big Bang - basically, relativity - on the other hand...it sucks. Too many holes, not enough explanation, especially in light of the past seven years. MOND (look it up) actually does a much better job of explaining the observable universe.

.Its  that time of year to set up the telescope and enjoy a beautiful night gazing, and wondering..

687519[/snapback]

I love doing that.....When I got my first telescope as a kid I was ecstatic. I love to sit ouside on a clear night and just look around the sky. Sometimes there are scenes in movies where they show someone doing that, and you can almost feel what it was like when you did that as a kid. Good times.

I love doing that.....When I got my first telescope as a kid I was ecstatic. I love to sit ouside on a clear night and just look around the sky. Sometimes there are scenes in movies where they show someone doing that, and you can almost feel what it was like when you did that as a kid. Good times.

687531[/snapback]

Couple of summers ago, we were camping far from any light pollution..Amazingly beautiful black sky with a vivid milkyway and meteor storm showering us with colors of red and green, they were so close I thought we'd get hit ;)

Couple of summers ago, we were camping far from any light pollution..Amazingly beautiful black sky with a vivid milkyway and meteor storm showering us with colors of red and green, they were so close I thought we'd get hit :)

687563[/snapback]

Wow, that sounds amazing! I've always wanted to visit somewhere like Wyoming or Montana cause you hear about how beautiful the nights are.....someday I'll head out that way. Maybe I'll see if Drew can put me up for the night since I'm his biggest fan ;)

Just for perspective, science doesn't even have an answer yet for the common cold. I think to expect there to be anything more than theories on how the universe came to be is a bit far fetched.

687488[/snapback]

Of course, it could be because there are over 200 different viruses that cause the common cold ;)

Its  that time of year to set up the telescope and enjoy a beautiful night gazing, and wondering..

687519[/snapback]

well, technically, this time of year is a really boring time to do stargazing. All of the amazing winter constellations are setting or have set by the time it gets dark, and the summer constellations arent up in full force yet. But, there is still stuff to be seen.

a great stargazing book is 365 starry nights by chet raymo. it goes every day from jan 1 to dec 31, and gives about a half page write up about the night sky. not only do you get interesting things to look for, but it gives you history, mythology, and other space facts and information. Also, the book is written so it can be understood by a 12 year old. great book for someone wanting to get into astronomy or just to learn a little bit more.

687488[/snapback]

Yes it does, but you would have to get vaccinated literally all the time. There are several hundred viruses that cause the "common cold", and they are evolving themselves. So, instead of attempting to vaccinate for everything (which would be impossible), they just vaccinate for the particularly nasty viruses, which themselves evolve all the time, requiring a new vaccine every year based on what the experts think will emerge. It's more efficient to help alleviate the symptoms, and let the body cure itself of the "cold".

Anyway, if you hate your job, it's practically a built in sick day every year. And if you hate your co-workers you get to inoculate them. It's kind of like playing God, but with wee little monsters that can make people you don't like ill. And if you make them sick enough, they'll be too ill to come into work and bother you. Why ruin a good day off by being sick, when you can go to work and make everyone else miserable?

Of course, it could be because there are over 200 different viruses that cause the common cold ;)

687566[/snapback]

I know....I took micro :) And how many of those 200 strains is there a cure for? How many viruses do you know of that have ever been cured? How many equivalents to the antibiotic exist for viruses?

How many viruses do you know of that have ever been cured?

One.

How many equivalents to the antibiotic exist for viruses?

687577[/snapback]

A couple. It depends on the virus though.

Of course, antibiotics don't necessarily work on bacteria anymore. That has something to do with this little theory called evolution... ;)

One.

A couple.  It depends on the virus though. 

Of course, antibiotics don't necessarily work on bacteria anymore.  That has something to do with this little theory called evolution...  :)

687584[/snapback]

Trust me, I work with resistant bacteria on a daily basis....I know all too well about that aspect of evolution ;)

And for the record, I accept evolution as pretty much factual.