Big Bang Theory Obsolete?

;)

Because if it wasn't, we wouldn't be here to attribute some mystical quality to it. 

That's actually the main difference between science and religion: science says we are here because the Earth's in the right place.  Religion says the Earth's in the right place because we are here.

687373[/snapback]

Good point....but how do you explain emotions, dreaming, feelings, the way the human body is constructed....how does that just all 'happen' without someone devising it???

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither can you provide evidence for the non-existence of 'God'. We'll never really know until we die and maybe not even then...

687374[/snapback]

By definition, if God exists, he must exist outside the universe, and thus can't be known by us, as the definition of "the universe" at its most basic is the boundary of what it's possible to know. If he exists within the universe, he's not God...because he could not have been around to create it otherwise.

Conversely, just because something happens doesn't mean there's a purpose behind it or a reason for it.  Believe it or not, sometimes sh-- really does just happen.

687365[/snapback]

How do you KNOW that, though? Perhaps there is a reason for every little thing, or maybe there is only lack of purpose because God allows it to be so? I don't think this is an area where someone can really 'know' either.

Good point....but how do you explain emotions, dreaming, feelings...

687377[/snapback]

I don't. Although I could by pointing out that a collection of seemingly random events can produce very complex behavior - even on the molecular level, even if those molecules are neurotransmitters. Obviously, having neurotransmitter problems myself, that has some appeal to me.

...the way the human body is constructed....how does that just all 'happen' without someone devising it???

Actually, if the human body is an example of "intelligent design", the designer must have been retarded. The human body is pretty poorly engineered. For starters, who the hell puts a sewage line through a recreational area?...

By definition, if God exists, he must exist outside the universe, and thus can't be known by us, as the definition of "the universe" at its most basic is the boundary of what it's possible to know.  If he exists within the universe, he's not God...because he could not have been around to create it otherwise.

687378[/snapback]

Is there a scientific theory of omnipresence?? ;)

I don't.  Although I could by pointing out that a collection of seemingly random events can produce very complex behavior - even on the molecular level, even if those molecules are neurotransmitters.  Obviously, having neurotransmitter problems myself, that has some appeal to me.

Actually, if the human body is an example of "intelligent design", the designer must have been retarded.  The human body is pretty poorly engineered.  For starters, who the hell puts a sewage line through a recreational area?...

687383[/snapback]

Sex= Feels good

Taking a piss or a sh--= Feels even better sometimes

;):);)

Faith in God isn't something that I or anyone else can give you. It's an individual choice. Through my own experience, one who truly endeavors to become close to God finds that opportunity available to them at some point. Whether or not you or anyone else decides to take those steps is completely up to you and them. I wish I could just show you something or tell you something and all of a sudden you'd know that God existed. But that's not possible. I can sit down with anyone and tell them of my experiences, without  any sort of embellishment whatsoever, and maybe help inspire them to look into things on their own. But beyond that I think it's an individual thing.

687372[/snapback]

Of course it's an individual thing. You believe, I don't. I'm more of a scientific type that believes things happened, just happened by chance to create the life we have here on earth. If earth was just a bit closer or further from the sun we wouldn't be here. It's science, it's by chance, nothing is laid out by a higher power in my belief.

Sex= Feels good

Taking a piss or a sh--= Feels even better sometimes

:P  ;)  ;)

687385[/snapback]

LOL :)

How do you KNOW that, though? Perhaps there is a reason for every little thing, or maybe there is only lack of purpose because God allows it to be so?  I don't think this is an area where someone can really 'know' either.

687381[/snapback]

Actually, you're right. It's an article of faith with me that sometimes sh-- just happens. It just happens to let me sleep at night; otherwise I'd stay awake wondering "Why's my father in the hospital dying right now?" or "Why does chicken taste like chicken?"

Though again...if you REALLY want me to explain why sh-- just happenes...I'll say "Lagrangian theory." ;)

Of course it's an individual thing.  You believe, I don't.  I'm more of a scientific type that believes things happened, just happened by chance to create the life we have here on earth.  If earth was just a bit closer or further from the sun we wouldn't be here.  It's science, it's by chance, nothing is laid out by a higher power in my belief.

687386[/snapback]

And I completely respect your beliefs.

Actually, you're right.  It's an article of faith with me that sometimes sh-- just happens.  It just happens to let me sleep at night; otherwise I'd stay awake wondering "Why's my father in the hospital dying right now?" or "Why does chicken taste like chicken?" 

Though again...if you REALLY want me to explain why sh-- just happenes...I'll say "Lagrangian theory."  ;)

687388[/snapback]

I hear ya....I'm sorry about your father. I'm actually going through the same thing with my mom.

Uhhhh...okay.  :)

Maybe it's time to get a new girlfriend?  I'm just sayin'...

687391[/snapback]

I'm sorry I didn't humor you

Maybe you have sh-- for brains? I didn't know that "we" "me and you" had different recreational areas on us. ;)

By definition, if God exists, he must exist outside the universe, and thus can't be known by us, as the definition of "the universe" at its most basic is the boundary of what it's possible to know.  If he exists within the universe, he's not God...because he could not have been around to create it otherwise.

687378[/snapback]

That you Carl?

If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?

;)