Big Bang Theory Obsolete?

New Theory

A joint UK-US team has put forward an alternative theory of cosmic evolution.

It proposes that the Universe undergoes cycles of "Big Bangs" and "Big Crunches", meaning our Universe is merely a "child of the previous one".

It challenges the conventional view of the cosmos, which observations show to be 12-14 billion years old.

The new ideas, reported in the journal Science, may explain why the expansion of the Universe is accelerating, the researchers say.

"At present the conventional view is that all of space, time, matter and energy began at a single point, which then expanded and cooled, leaving the Universe as it is today," said Professor Paul Steinhardt of Princeton University, New Jersey.

"However, this new theory suggests that there's a continuous cycle of universes, with each a repeat of the last, but not an exact replica.

"It can be thought of as a child of the previous universe."

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New Theory

It proposes that the Universe undergoes cycles of "Big Bangs" and "Big Crunches", meaning our Universe is merely a "child of the previous one".

It challenges the conventional view of the cosmos, which observations show to be 12-14 billion years old.

The new ideas, reported in the journal Science, may explain why the expansion of the Universe is accelerating, the researchers say.

"At present the conventional view is that all of space, time, matter and energy began at a single point, which then expanded and cooled, leaving the Universe as it is today," said Professor Paul Steinhardt of Princeton University, New Jersey.

"However, this new theory suggests that there's a continuous cycle of universes, with each a repeat of the last, but not an exact replica.

687149[/snapback]

Sounds plausible to me.

Nerd invasion alert in 5...4...3...2...1

This does not seem to be a new theory and seems to be an extension of super-string theory.

A big crunch is not a new idea either. I am guessing what is new is their take on the cosmological constant and why it is so small.

New Theory

687149[/snapback]

That's not that new, and it doesn't make the Big Bang theory obsolete. All they're really conjecturing is whether or not the universe is finite or infinite - i.e. a closed or open multi-dimensional curve.

They're also dusting off the old theory that the universe is nothing more than a quantum vacuum fluctuation with zero net energy. Overall, though...there's nothing new in that link...

This does not seem to be a new theory and seems to be an extension of super-string theory.

A big crunch is not a new idea either. I am guessing what is new is their take on the cosmological constant and why it is so small.

687171[/snapback]

If I remember correctly from The Elegant Universe, didn't they say that the big bang was caused by parallel universes touching?

New Theory

687149[/snapback]

as said before, nothing new to see here. and it wouldnt make the big bang obsolete, because something had to set off the expansion of the universe from a point of singularity.

as said before, nothing new to see here. and it wouldnt make the big bang obsolete, because something had to set off the expansion of the universe from a point of singularity.

687191[/snapback]

What was the point of singularity?

I once wrote a paper on the Theory of Everything. The day it was due, my physics professor asked where it was. I said, 'Well last night I was measuring its velocity. I measured it with such precision, it literally could be anywhere in the universe."

Bah dum dah! :angry::lol::lol:

Intelligent Design?

687265[/snapback]

Yeppers.....I believe in evolution to the degree that I feel it's factual, but I attribute evolution to God.

Intelligent Design?

687265[/snapback]

It's obvious, based on the fact of where our planet is located in relation to the sun that an intelligent being "placed" us here as to not let us freeze or scald, as would have been the case had we been "placed" on a different planet.

This sh-- is so stupid it hurts my brain. :angry:

It's obvious, based on the fact of where our planet is located in relation to the sun that an intelligent being "placed" us here as to not let us freeze or scald, as would have been the case had we been "placed" on a different planet. 

This sh-- is so stupid it hurts my brain.  :angry:

687270[/snapback]

:lol::lol::D