Don't get too excited about June 1st...

Something else. I'm curious if anyone watched Kelsay and noticed anything.

686963[/snapback]

Yep, I noticed something alright.

I noticed that back in 2003, NFL Draft, Round 2, Pick 48, Mister Chris Kelsay represented great value according to the experts. :angry:

I'm still worried about DT.

OK, we have Triplett and McCargo manning the "three technique" DT slot, possibly playing both on 3rd and long.

At the other (nose position), we have Tim Anderson and.... Sape? Williams? Sorry, I don't have a lot of confidence there.

I know he's old, but I'd love to see Grady signed. He plays only on 1st and 2nd down. He will clog up two blockers, allowing another guy to run free and make the tackle. He can still hold the point of attack.

I just have visions of our new "penetrating" DTs playing like Sam Adams and constantly overrunning the play and missing the tackle.

OK, we have Triplett and McCargo manning the "three technique" DT slot, possibly playing both on 3rd and long. 

At the other (nose position), we have Tim Anderson and.... Sape? Williams?  Sorry, I don't have a lot of confidence there.

I know he's old, but I'd love to see Grady signed.  He plays only on 1st and 2nd down.  He will clog up two blockers, allowing another guy to run free and make the tackle.  He can still hold the point of attack. 

I just have visions of our new "penetrating" DTs playing like Sam Adams and constantly overrunning the play and missing the tackle.

687211[/snapback]

I don't know how well Grady Jackson fits the Cover 2 on 1st and 2nd downs, but I'd sure rather see him in there then Tim Anderson on 3rd-and-1.

At the other (nose position), we have Tim Anderson and.... Sape? Williams?  Sorry, I don't have a lot of confidence there.

I know he's old, but I'd love to see Grady signed.  He plays only on 1st and 2nd down.  He will clog up two blockers, allowing another guy to run free and make the tackle.  He can still hold the point of attack. 

687211[/snapback]

I think folks are making a big assumption when they are stating what type of players the 06 Bills D scheme will require because there is no 06 Blls scheme that we know much about beside we are giving up the zone blitz and moving to a cover 2.

This cover 2 will obviously be based on a traditional cover 2 which Jauron suceeded with in Chicago when he was NFL Coach of the Year. This traditional model has the safeties divide the field in half and play zone centerfielder which allows the CBs to play press coverage for about ten yards or so until they release the receover to the safeties and cover the flat.

The DL has two major responsibiliies which are to stop the run on plays diagnosed as runs (primarily using O alignment and down/distance) and pressure the QB big time on plays diagnosed as pass.

The LBs have a lot of read and playmaking responsibilities in the cover 2 as they need to back DL players shooting the gap to blow up running plays or pressure the QB, or deal with pass plays where the offense attempts to pick them apart by flooding a zone.

However, the Bills will get killed if what we run is a classic cover 2. Fortunately, we have Fewell as DC who has experienced success with the Cover 2 know as the Tampa Two. In this D traditionally, the MLB actually plays a deep cover centerfielder role on pass plays and he and the safeties divide the field into 3s.

The personnel of the Bills seems well suited to this model:

1. We are incredibly deep at DB now with two fomer Pro Bowlers starting at CB, two candidates for the nickel who played that role last year and an FS who led the team in INTS and FRs last year whose career may be extended because we are playing to his forte as former Pro Bowl pass cover guy rather than the hitter requirments of the zone blitz. Add to this we drafted a defnite 1st round talent at SS, a player seen by some as a 1st round talent at CB in the third and a well regatded safety in a later round and we are well armed for this style at DB.

2. Our LB situation also look solid as TKO seems to be recovering from his injury, we have an MLB credited with more tackles the last five years than any other NFL player and the third LB will either be the recently extended Crowell who filled in admirably for TKO or past starter Posey. Back-ups Stamer and Haggan were also both recently extended and are proven ST aces.

3. The big question is the DL where we seem to have our top 4 DTs on the deoth chart max out at 304 lbs and look like 3 technique DTs far more than run stuffers in the big Ted mold. The DEs are all notable for their motor and athleticism (both Schobel and Denny seem better suited for the zone blitz than the cover 2.

My sense is that the predictions of many fans are simply assumptions as Jauron.Fewell will really need to do something quite different with this DL because their size and playing styles do not fit the classic models.

3. The big question is the DL where we seem to have our top 4 DTs on the deoth chart max out at 304 lbs and look like 3 technique DTs far more than run stuffers in the big Ted mold. The DEs are all notable for their motor and athleticism (both Schobel and Denny seem better suited for the zone blitz than the cover 2.

My sense is that the predictions of many fans are simply assumptions as Jauron.Fewell will really need to do something quite different with this DL because their size and playing styles do not fit the classic models.

Hence, signing Grady Jackson could be a big help.

Why do you say that Schobel & Denney are better suited to zone blitz than cover 2? I ask because I didn't know there was much of a difference with respect to DE in the two schemes.

I'm probably going to get slammed for this but I wouldnt mind taking a look at Kerry Collins and getting rid of Holcomb. I'm a huge JP fan but I would feel a lot better and the QB position would be upgraded if the Bills gave Collins a look.

I don't feel comfortable with Holcomb on this roster. He is the odd man out when you look at the Bills. Both Losman and Nall have huge arms that go perfect with our speedy WR core. Collins fits the mold beautifully as well. I want JP to win the job as our starter but I would love Collins to come in to push him even more.

Holcombs arm is not made for Buffalo weather and it showed late in the season.

687129[/snapback]

I agree with this point. I wouldnt mind throwing Collins in there if he comes at a decent price. He is a proven QB who knows how to win. Plus he has played in the meadowlands and took the Giants to the SuperBowl. Holcomb being the #1 right now is just a ploy to motivate JP. They know the kelly doesnt have the arm they need.

Collins wants a starting job and starting money, I think Clevland wanted him as a backup and he refused cause he wants the starting job somewhere.

I like Holcomb as a backup, but feel the Bills are in trouble with him as the starter (meaning JP and Nall would have to be pretty bad to lose out to Holcomb cause they provide Buffalo with the biggest upside, holcomb would be more of last resort 1-2 year starter) I have a feeling he will either be #2 or #3 (depending on Nall's play) or will be ask for a release from the team if he is placed #3 because he could easily be a backup somewhere else.

As for Grady, I really doubt Buffalo even makes an attempt at getting him cause of his age and size. Everyone is thinking we need a big guy on the line because that is usually how the typical defence works and its what we are used to seeing. Buffalo is playing a completely different style of Defence next season and it requires a different style of player for some positions.