Movie: "Waiting..." If you've ever worked

I worked as a server in a Tony Roma's restaurant back in the early 90s. I've got some really fond memories of that time in my life, cause it was right after high school, I had just moved into my first apartment with a buddy of mine, and we were livin' the bachelor life up big time. Bills games and tailgating, women, alcohol, Tahoes, more women, a little weed, etc, etc. It was one of the greatest times of my life. Anyway, this movie is not going to win any academy awards, but I found it very nostalgic and pretty damn funny at times. I think anyone who's worked in a restaurant will really enjoy some of the humor, even though it's a bit over the top and often times crude. It's a guilty pleasure film more than anything else, but I got a kick out of it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348333/

You know, for what it is, I sure enjoyed that a whole helluva a lot than I should admit. It wasn't half bad, it was entertaining, and it had... the game.

Maybe I can get that game started in my office? Maybe not.

Hey! I'm back!!!

You know, for what it is, I sure enjoyed that a whole helluva a lot than I should admit. It wasn't half bad, it was entertaining, and it had... the game.

Hey! I'm back!!!

686569[/snapback]

Hey man, good to see ya! Was wondering where you had been hiding.

And yeah, the movie was a lot of fun.....and 'the game' was definitely worth a few laughs....that was classic, lol. I thought they were trying to make the guy quit in the first ten mins so Ryan Reynolds didn't have to train him....when it turned out to be an actual game I was dyin', lol. I got tired of Reynolds schtick after about the first fifteen mins, but he had a few good lines here and there.

I worked as a server in a Tony Roma's restaurant back in the early 90s.

686373[/snapback]

I got stuck on a work assignment in Shanghai back in the late 90's helping to open an automotive factory. It was supposed to be 3 weeks, but I got my work done in 1... one of the worst experiences of my life being so far away from the States. Anyways, if not for the Tony Roma's next to the Ritz-Carlton, I would not have been able to eat for 7 days. I don't care what they did to the food, I wasn't eating that other crap everywhere else.0:)

I got stuck on a work assignment in Shanghai back in the late 90's helping to open an automotive factory. It was supposed to be 3 weeks, but I got my work done in 1... one of the worst experiences of my life being so far away from the States. Anyways, if not for the Tony Roma's next to the Ritz-Carlton, I would not have been able to eat for 7 days. I don't care what they did to the food, I wasn't eating that other crap everywhere else.0:)

686579[/snapback]

LOL, wow.....I don't blame you....I would be pretty funny about food in other countries, too. Are you sick of Tony Romas now that you had to eat there those seven days? lol There used to be on down here in Atlanta, but not anymore. Even though I worked there for about four years off and on (the Rochester one), I still love the food. Some Carolina Honey ribs and a full loaf of rings and extra sauce.....yummy :w00t:

There were a few times when I would be the closer, and it would be myself, my manager, and the bartender who were left to turn out the lights. My manager would usually let me have a nice cold draft beer, even though I wasn't legal yet (and she knew it). I tell you what, you work on your feet on a busy saturday night waiting on people, a cold beer never tasted so friggin good! lol

LOL, wow.....I don't blame you....I would be pretty funny about food in other countries, too. Are you sick of Tony Romas now that you had to eat there those seven days? lol 

686610[/snapback]

Never seen another one before or since... but they are still near and dear to my heart. :w00t:

There was a Hard Rock next door too, but the food sucked. Not too much else was American-ized at all, the KFC was a nightmare. 0:) It may be better now, but I don't want to go back & see if it is.

I thought the movie was totally pointless...but it was funny!  I also worked in restaurants when I was in college, so I can relate.  0:)

686615[/snapback]

Yeah, it was pretty pointless, lol.....but you have to admit a lot of the scenes were VERY pertinent to what really happens behind the scenes. The way we talk to our buddies and say stuff like, "hey man, did you see the chick at table 18??". There would be hot women who came in all the time where I used to work, and we'd always be sure to let the others know. I thought the scene where that hick stiffed the guy was pretty funny, too. I remember this one couple was seated in my station one night and they were just complete !@#$s. I had an inling that I was gonna be stiffed, but I went ahead and gave them the same service I gave everyone else. Well, turns out they left me like a dime or something ridiculous, and I was pretty pissed. They had already left before I saw what they'd left, but I noticed a pair of sunglasses sitting on the side of the booth where the guy had been sitting. I took them in back and hid them behind some bowls in the event they came back in. Sure enough, there they came wanting to know where their glasses were. They found the manager, who called me over and asked me if I'd seen them anywhere, and I looked at those jerkoffs right in the eyes and said, "nope, sorry....didn't see anything".

I also thought it was funny how they showed the cooks counting the last half hour before they would get to go home, hoping nobody would come in at like five mins before close.....that was classic and it happens all the time in real life.

Never seen another one since... but they are still near and dear to my heart. :w00t:

There was a Hard Rock next door too, but the food sucked. Not too much else was American-ized at all, the KFC was a nightmare. 0:)  It may be better now, but I don't want to go back & see if it is.

686619[/snapback]

You're like the third person who's said the food at a Hard Rock Cafe sucks.....that surprises me. I've never been, but if and when I do I guess I won't get too excited about the food lol

Why? No one missed you, and it was much quieter whith you gone.

686628[/snapback]

LOL....it was definitely more quiet w/out him around here.....though I have to admit I like having both Puhonix and Hollywood Donahoe around....they're usually good for some laughs 0:)

LOL....it was definitely more quiet w/out him around here.....though I have to admit I like having both Puhonix and Hollywood Donahoe around....they're usually good for some laughs  0:)

686649[/snapback]

you should SEE Puhonix. then hes REAL good for some laughs. :w00t:

you should SEE Puhonix. then hes REAL good for some laughs. ;)

686651[/snapback]

lol, ouch! 0:)

I can't believe he's taking all this w/out retaliating! :w00t:

I also thought it was funny how they showed the cooks counting the last half hour before they would get to go home, hoping nobody would come in at like five mins before close.....that was classic and it happens all the time in real life.

686621[/snapback]

One time we had a group of 10 come in 20 minutes before closing on a dead night. The owners decided to go ahead and serve them. They didn't leave until an hour after our closing time.

One place I worked at had an ice cream stand on one side of the building. I was the lucky one that had to stay and mop all the floors after everyone else left. I always made myself a nice big sundae for the ride home. (I only lived about 1/2 mile away)

One time we had a group of 10 come in 20 minutes before closing on a dead night. The owners decided to go ahead and serve them. They didn't leave until an hour after our closing time.

One place I worked at had an ice cream stand on one side of the building. I was the lucky one that had to stay and mop all the floors after everyone else left. I always made myself a nice big sundae for the ride home. (I only lived about 1/2 mile away)

686907[/snapback]

lol, yeah, the food and drink (and dessert, in your case!) is one of the fringe benefits of working in restaurants. As for the late parties, I think what kills me is that the people have no courtesy for the people working there whatsoever. It's just common sense that if a place closes at 11p, there are going to be people trying to get home, regardless of the fact that you have other plans that involve camping out for an extra hour or two. I didn't mind it if they went ahead and settled the bill and THEN camped out, cause chances are the mgr and/or cleaners would be there doing their work anyway. But to have the wait staff and cooks just sitting around because of one late party is pretty damn bogus.

Hey! I'm back!!!

686569[/snapback]

Yay, you're back! Sunny days are here again :angry: Welcome back. Always good to have another 'Noles fan here (in addition to Ramius).

686907[/snapback]

i gotta tell ya, as a customer i would never go into a place 20 minutes before closing (restuarants should really set a "last order" time instead of "closing" time)...unless I really had to. And, then, I'd make DAMN sure, I took care of everyone very well.

But as a guy worked in the business for a long time (and still do despite my other life), if I were the bartender/waiter/cook and, especially, owner...I'd treat these 10 people as if they were kings.

I'd send home the dishwasher, busperson and anyone else who can leave withut interupting service to this party of TEN (obviously, I'd do the same for 2 or 4...but 10 really means something in so many ways). If I was the owner or manager, I'd make sure my staff knew they would be compensated appropriately and explain what this opportunity means. (In other words, I'd make sure they knew if these people were ass#oles and/or stiffs, they'd be taken care of.)

I'd probably bring them a comp appetizer or something to help them relax and realize they don't have to hurry (they probably expect curt service and are just hoping to get served and get out). I want these people to have the best, and most unexpected experience they've had in awhile. So, we need them to chill and enjoy.

Go for it, you got 10 people in an ideal situation...expecting little, feeling like they're almost intruders (instead of customers). Give them excellent service and food, and you'll make a serious impression...on TEN people. And you can do it without the interruption of other customers. It's like shooting fish in a damn barrel.

i gotta tell ya, as a customer i would never go into a place 20 minutes before closing (restuarants should really set a "last order" time instead of "closing" time)...unless I really had to.  And, then, I'd make DAMN sure, I took care of everyone very well.

But as a guy worked in the business for a long time (and still do despite my other life), if I were the bartender/waiter/cook and, especially, owner...I'd treat these 10 people as if they were kings.

I'd send home the dishwasher, busperson and anyone else who can leave withut interupting service to this party of TEN  (obviously, I'd do the same for 2 or 4...but 10 really means something in so many ways).  If I was the owner or manager, I'd make sure my staff knew they would be compensated appropriately and explain what this opportunity means.  (In other words, I'd make sure they knew if these people were ass#oles and/or stiffs, they'd be taken care of.)

I'd probably bring them a comp appetizer or something to help them relax and realize they don't have to hurry (they probably expect curt service and are just hoping to get served and get out).  I want these people to have the best, and most unexpected experience they've had in awhile.  So, we need them to chill and enjoy.

Go for it, you got 10 people in an ideal situation...expecting little, feeling like they're almost intruders (instead of customers).  Give them excellent service and food, and you'll make a serious impression...on TEN people.  And you can do it without the interruption of other customers.  It's like shooting fish in a damn barrel.

686961[/snapback]

We had a policy stated explicitly on the menu that parties of 8 or more were assessed a 15% gratuity on the check. We never actually enforced it unless the party came in within an hour of closing. I never minded taking an 8 or more for that very reason, cause all I had to do was upsell. God forbid I had to take a two-top in the last ten mins....that sucked major arse.

You're like the third person who's said the food at a Hard Rock Cafe sucks.....that surprises me. I've never been, but if and when I do I guess I won't get too excited about the food lol

686622[/snapback]

Hard Rock is good for drinks, atmosphere, and the occasional hot waitress, and that's it. You're not going there for the food, and you're surely not going there for the prices. Save yourself the trouble and head off somewhere else, like Tony Romas, and get that loaf of rings....mmmm, gotta be the best appetizer ever.

Why? No one missed you, and it was much quieter whith you gone.

686628[/snapback]

I had to come back, since everytime we get together your stories start out with "So I was on Two Bills Drive, and you won't believe what I Eat Crayonz said..."

you should SEE Puhonix. then hes REAL good for some laughs. :angry:

686651[/snapback]

touche... nice to be back.

And hard to retaliate since I actually head off at 5:00.