Sabres Topic

Don't know how many old timers we have on the board but the present Sabre team reminds me a lot of the 1974/1975 team that went to the finals against the Flyers.

Honestly when Tim Connoley scored that short-handed goal on Friday night it evoked memories of end to end rushes by Gilbert Perreault.

This team differs only instead of having one all time line such as the "French Connection" and complimentary lines such as the Luce-Ramsey-Gare checking line, this team has four excellent lines and their stickwork, puck-handling and passing is superb.

I was watching the other series this weekend and feel that if we get by Ottawa, the Cup will be ours this year.

Love to hear some old time Sabre fans provide some feedback.

Don't know how many old timers we have on the board but the present Sabre team reminds me a lot of the 1974/1975 team that went to the finals against the Flyers.

Honestly when Tim Connoley scored that short-handed goal on Friday night it evoked memories of end to end rushes by Gilbert Perreault.

This team differs only instead of having one all time line such as the "French Connection" and complimentary lines such as the Luce-Ramsey-Gare checking line, this team has four excellent lines and their stickwork, puck-handling and passing is superb.

I was watching the other series this weekend and feel that if we get by Ottawa, the Cup will be ours this year.

Love to hear some old time Sabre fans provide some feedback.

686360[/snapback]

We really had a solid team that year. I can't really add any comparisons but do remember how excited the entire area was that we were in the finals. The Flyers were a tough team but I was sure that the Sabres talent was going to beat the Flyers thuggery. I remember how proud I was of that team even when they lost. Hard to believe that series was over 30 years ago.

This team seem more balanced - the perreault-martin robert line was the dominant line as I recall in the seventies.

The interesting thing is that the NHL is more like the hockey of old then it has been in decades. I loved hockey back then - lots of skating and, in fact, it was the Flyers ofthe 70's (broad street bullies) that initiated the top of grab and hold play that ended that era.

The 2006 Sabres are fun to watch - Miller is so raw though, it is easy to imagine him simply being to soft at this point to take them to the Semi-Finals, let alone the Finals.

But - 6 goals allowed notwithstanding, he DID play better as the game progressed last Friday.

I hope Briere can play tonight.

Go Swordsmen!

-RichNJoisy

It will be interesting to see the Bills next year because what they have done this off season sure reminds me a lot of what the Sabs did over their off season. Can we strike the chemistry and coaching and motivation and discipline that they have? Could be fun, now I know how the Bengals felt from Icky until last year....always hoping.

It will be interesting to see the Bills next year because what they have done this off season sure reminds me a lot of what the Sabs did over their off season.  Can we strike the chemistry and coaching and motivation and discipline that they have?  Could be fun, now I know how the Bengals felt from Icky until last year....always hoping.

686950[/snapback]

The Bills would need Golisano seeing as he is the chemist on the Sabres.

It will be interesting to see the Bills next year because what they have done this off season sure reminds me a lot of what the Sabs did over their off season.  Can we strike the chemistry and coaching and motivation and discipline that they have?  Could be fun, now I know how the Bengals felt from Icky until last year....always hoping.

686950[/snapback]

The Bills would also need rule changes that allow teams without lines to play.

:angry: