Tid bits from camp

With a lot of new faces on the roster since the last set of workouts, below we bring you up to speed as to just where all the newest faces from veteran free agents to draft picks are getting their reps.

It must be kept in mind that the coaching staff is making a point to rotate players through at certain positions in order to give equal opportunity to each of the players over the course of the four practices this weekend.

Veteran free agent acquisition Peerless Price is not listed below because he did not attend the camp which is voluntary to veteran players.

VETERAN FREE AGENTS

SS Matt Bowen ran with the first team defense on Friday and then was rotated to the third team Saturday at strong safety. The coaching staff appears to be trying to give Bowen and Coy Wire even looks with the first unit.

WR Andre Davis has been rotated in mainly for second team reps in these practices at receiver.

C Melvin Fowler has been the team's number one center since he arrived, and continues to get reps in the top spot.

OL Aaron Gibson is getting playing time at right tackle only. He is currently getting reps on the second and third line units.

QB Craig Nall continues to be part of an intentional rotation at the quarterback position between himself, J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

OL Tutan Reyes is seeing a lot of time at left guard. He was working with the second unit on Friday, but got reps with the starting unit Saturday as Bennie Anderson was absent from the morning workout.

TE Robert Royal has been given a lot of reps with the first unit, and has been involved in the passing game. He's been rotated out at time, but Royal has seen the most time with the first group at tight end.

RB Anthony Thomas was running as the second team running back on Friday behind Lionel Gates (Willis McGahee is not in attendance). Saturday morning he appeared to get more reps with the third unit as Shaud Williams got bumped up in the rotation.

DT Larry Tripplett has been the team's starting three-technique defensive tackle since he signed with the Bills and that hasn't changed.

DRAFT PICKS

SS Donte Whitner has exclusively been the second team strong safety throughout the first two days of camp.

DT John McCargo through the first two workouts has lined up with the second team defense and played the three-technique primarily.

CB Ashton Youboty has been playing left cornerback with the second teamers on defense much like Whitner this weekend.

FS Ko Simpson has been running with the third team defense at the free safety spot.

DT Kyle Williams has been playing alongside McCargo on the interior of the second team defense. He has played the nose tackle spot for the most part.

OT Brad Butler hasn't seen a whole lot of reps at tackle thus far through the first couple of practices.

LB Keith Ellison has played the strong side linebacker spot with the third team defensive unit.

OT Terrance Pennington has seen time at the left tackle spot with the third unit over the first couple of days.

C/G Aaron Merz has been playing mostly at center through the first couple of practices with the third offensive line group.

I'm surprised that all of this is so consistent with what how it looked like the players would be used when the regular season hits.

685483[/snapback]

And Bennie isn't there today. Not a good idea if your him. :w00t:

Thanks for the update, MileHigh, but would you mind providing a source/link back to the original site? Copyright laws, and all...

Thanks.

And yet Bennie is the starter but had to miss part of it. But, but , they haven't had time to update the website, we all know Reyes is the starter </sarcasm> . Folks better get used to it, Bennie isn't going anywhere.

And yet Bennie is the starter but had to miss part of it.  But, but , they haven't had time to update the website, we all know Reyes is the starter </sarcasm> .  Folks better get used to it, Bennie isn't going anywhere.

685506[/snapback]

I think we're going to be surprised at who some of our starters are come September

And yet Bennie is the starter but had to miss part of it.  But, but , they haven't had time to update the website, we all know Reyes is the starter </sarcasm> .  Folks better get used to it, Bennie isn't going anywhere.

Going by that logic, none of the rookies have a chance to start. I doubt that.

Thanks for the update, MileHigh, but would you mind providing a source/link back to the original site? Copyright laws, and all...

Thanks.

685498[/snapback]

Looks like a Chris Brown blog item, but I didn't see it when I checked there...

Any chance Fewell moves Coy Wire back to LB? I mean the guy as a safety won't make it.

Given the new defense I think Wire could make the switch to his former position in College.

thoughts?

I bet this won't last:

SS Matt Bowen ran with the first team defense on Friday and then was rotated to the third team Saturday at strong safety. The coaching staff appears to be trying to give Bowen and Coy Wire even looks with the first unit.

Whiter beats em both out.

Any chance Fewell moves Coy Wire back to LB? I mean the guy as a safety won't make it.

Given the new defense I think Wire could make the switch to his former position in College.

thoughts?

685601[/snapback]

Let us please not go there.

Wire's problem is not his size - it is lack of instincts, ability, and skill. The same bad angles, poor positioning, over-pursuit, penchant for getting sucked into any kind of misdirection or play action, lack of coverage skill and (yes) ability to tackle a moving target will be there regardless of where he lines up on the field. He will suck regardless. That is simply what he does.

I really is time to let him go. If you love someone - set them free.

CW < RJ

i never really thought of that as far as coy playing linebacker. he's talents measure up perfectly in the tampa cover 2, similar to cato june and how he was a small fast linebacker with safety experience. we'll see what happens :w00t:

Wire looks absolutely lost in coverage. He has no clue what is going on. It's stupid to cling to this clown. He's taking up roster space for someone smarter and faster. ST shouldn't save him. After all, he's no Mark Pike!

I wouldn't start basing our line-up on this one camp. This is just to get the Rooks acclimated to the system. Jauron said himself that he wanted to get them a chance to see what the speed of the game was like and to see how the starters were performing in the new system. This doesn't mean anything, though I do think that Reyes WOULD be better than Bennie, IMO.