Connolly's amazing goal

Who thinks on the rink long rush goal:

a] He tried to bank it off the goalie and knew what he was doing for an incredible goal

b] He was trying to pass across the crease to the oncoming Gaustad

c] He was just in too deep and tossing it out there in front of the net to try to make something happen haphazardly

Personally, I think he was trying to pass. Jon in Pasadena, who I was watching the game with, thought he did it on purpose and tried to bank it in.

After I posed the question, I just heard Connolly on the post game interview, and he sounded like it was intentional although he didnt come right out and say it. Still, that was an incredible goal. He could turn out to be a fabulous player. He has it all, and is playing amazing now.

a] He tried to bank it off the goalie and knew what he was doing for an incredible goal

b] He was trying to pass across the crease to the oncoming Sabre

c] He was just in too deep and tossing it out there in front of the net to try to make something happen haphazardly

Personally, I think he was trying to pass. Jon in Pasadena, who I was watching the game with, thought he did it on purpose and tried to bank it in.

685133[/snapback]

If it was Gaustad or Grier that scored it, I'd say pass that didn't quite "work" the way it was supposed to. Timmy or Danny, absolutely intentional. Goal scoring is an art that can't be taught. You either get it or you don't. Timmy gets it (after a few year lapse of not getting it, but that was more a case of not getting how to get in position to score than not getting HOW to score).

b] He was trying to pass across the crease to the oncoming Sabre

685133[/snapback]

You know it's funny......who knows. I was talking to my wife about this last week during the draft (no, she wasn't watching it, just happened by the tv while I was watching it). They were commenting on a QB, Leinart I think. Showed a pass that was behind the receiver but that was really the only place he could have put it where it wouldn't have been defended. "Look", the talking head said, "he put it where ONLY the reciever could get it." I mentioned to my wife that every time I hear that they make it sound like it's a miracle that that pass, puck, ball or what ever was put in that millimeter of space on purpose and that I wonder how many times that was just luck. Anyone else think this or is it just me? I know these guys are good but come on, there is a bit of luck to these games.

Connolly has INCREDIBLE hockey skills and instinct...he has slowly become my favorite player on this team..

685152[/snapback]

How in the hell can you pick just one? I am loving this team and can't imagine picking out one player above the others.

I'm still in shock from such an incredible game! I think that there was no way it was just one element of the three you included. Any Pro Athlete will tell you that no matter how much skill you have and how hard you try to make something happen, sometimes you need luck. The Hockey Gods smiled on Connolly and the Sabres tonight. They played like a team that was destined to win (knocking on wood). All they have to do now is hold serve at home and Carolina/NJ here we come. That was a beautiful goal in a game that should be on ESPN Classic. What a game. :P

GO SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know it's funny......who knows.  I was talking to my wife about this last week during the draft (no, she wasn't watching it, just happened by the tv while I was watching it).  They were commenting on a QB, Leinart I think.  Showed a pass that was behind the receiver but that was really the only place he could have put it where it wouldn't have been defended.  "Look", the talking head said, "he put it where ONLY the reciever could get it."  I mentioned to my wife that every time I hear that they make it sound like it's a miracle that that pass, puck, ball or what ever was put in that millimeter of space on purpose and that I wonder how many times that was just luck.  Anyone else think this or is it just me?  I know these guys are good but come on, there is a bit of luck to these games.

685139[/snapback]

I remember going to the Canadian Open (golf) about twenty years ago in Oakville. I was following the threesome (first round) that had Curtis Strange (the eventual winner) in it. He had hit a drive into the tree alongside the fairway right where I was standing. To hit the green about 175 yards away, Strange would have to place the ball through an opening in the trees about two feet square and about thirty yards out. To hit close to the pin he would have to place the ball through the upper right hand corner of the opening. Of course, his shot ends up about three feet from the pin. Luck???, naybe, but he made it look so easy, I am sure luck played a small, if any, role in the shot. These guys are just that good at what they do, and play consistently at a level we can only dream about. We just see it all the time, and as a result, it becomes commonplace until you see a shot like Connoly's.

I just woke up and I'm still drunk as hell. I'm graduating from college today, so last night was quite the shitshow. Anyways, I just woke up and I was in my Sabres jersey and I had a mix of Rick play by play calls playing nonstop through my stereo. Yeah apparently at 6 am when I was blackout drunk I still had the good sense to throw on my jersey before I went to bed and make a nice RJ mix to fall asleep to. I'm still on cloud 9

You know it's funny......who knows.  I was talking to my wife about this last week during the draft (no, she wasn't watching it, just happened by the tv while I was watching it).  They were commenting on a QB, Leinart I think.  Showed a pass that was behind the receiver but that was really the only place he could have put it where it wouldn't have been defended.  "Look", the talking head said, "he put it where ONLY the reciever could get it."  I mentioned to my wife that every time I hear that they make it sound like it's a miracle that that pass, puck, ball or what ever was put in that millimeter of space on purpose and that I wonder how many times that was just luck.  Anyone else think this or is it just me?  I know these guys are good but come on, there is a bit of luck to these games.

685139[/snapback]

I absolutely think that good QB's throw the ball to the WR's opposite shoulder to avoid getting crunched by a safety. I do think there's a lot of lucky bounces involved in hockey. Not sure about the Connolly goal. I was about to swear at him for skating behind the net and all of the sudden the announcer said "score" and then I'm like "oh great play" :w00t:

what the heck happened to connolly's face? he looks like he has 2 black eyes and a chipped nose

685335[/snapback]

Badges of honor baby!... :lol::)

I betcha he got hit in the nose... Don't you usually get two tell tale shiners from a hit to the snaaz? :P:P

Of course I wouldn't know... Being a "pretty boy" and all...

:w00t::lol:

what the heck happened to connolly's face? he looks like he has 2 black eyes and a chipped nose

685335[/snapback]

He was hit in the face with a puck during the pre-game skate of either game 5 or 6 of the Philly series.

685335[/snapback]

Uh, he's a hockey player and he's playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I'd be more amazed to see a player without a mark on their face, to be honest.

Uh, he's a hockey player and he's playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.  I'd be more amazed to see a player without a mark on their face, to be honest.

685377[/snapback]

he's in really bad shape

good "badges of honor" though i suppose

I'd say pretty much the entire team looks to be clean of any facial bruises or cuts

I'm not sure if I've ever seen Afinogenov cut at all

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/buf/photos?pg=2&cap=0