SABERS WIN!!!!!!

I don't think I've heard Rick Jeanerette sound that happy ever before, even when the Sabres made it to the cup. This was a hell of a game and it's going to be a hell of a series. Hopefully Buffalo can hold serve and home and put this thing away in six.

Sabres Goals:

Two shorthanded goals (2nd and 3rd periods)

Two in the last :30 of the period (2nd and 3rd periods)

Two in the first :40 of the period (1st and OT)

One power play (1st period)

Simply an insane game. The Sabres were completely outplayed -- Ottawa had to have at least 2x the shots on goals, were much quicker, and much more physical. But in the end the Sabres took advantage of errors and a few flatfooted moments from the Sens and made them pay. Gotta love getting a game this way. The Sabres need to tighten things up, though, because they won't win 3 of the next 6 playing like this.

Sabres Goals:

Two shorthanded goals (2nd and 3rd periods)

Two in the last :30 of the period (2nd and 3rd periods)

Two in the first :40 of the period (1st and OT)

One power play (1st period)

Simply an insane game.  The Sabres were completely outplayed -- Ottawa had to have at least 2x the shots on goals, were much quicker, and much more physical.  But in the end the Sabres took advantage of errors and a few flatfooted moments from the Sens and made them pay.  Gotta love getting a game this way.  The Sabres need to tighten things up, though, because they won't win 3 of the next 6 playing like this.

685054[/snapback]

Just for reference...

Miller made 27 saves on 33 shots.

Emery made 16 saves on 23 shots.

I doubt EITHER guys play this badly in Game Two, both will bounce back very strong...so the Sabres really need to push hard in Numero #2, get through that stingy Ottawa Defense and put some pucks on net.

Just for reference...

I doubt EITHER guys play this badly in Game Two, both will bounce back very strong...so the Sabres really need to push hard in Numero #2, get through that stingy Ottawa Defense and put some pucks on net.

685060[/snapback]

Combined: .768 save percentage.

:P

Just for reference...

685060[/snapback]

The goal Emery let up with 10 seconds left was inexcusable, IMO. Miller didnt play bad, there may have been one soft goal in all of those six and that was because the defense didnt clear guys out.

We ripped Ottawa's Heart out! Remember, the Senators are a team that is famous for being mentally weak in the playoffs. This may be the type of loss that causes them to implode.

685095[/snapback]

One would have to think that Emery is a shaken a lot more than Miller right now.

We ripped Ottawa's Heart out! Remember, the Senators are a team that is famous for being mentally weak in the playoffs. This may be the type of loss that causes them to implode.

685095[/snapback]

This is where I like the extra day off in Ottawa. The Sens will have to deal with one extra day of the locals giving them flack for losing to a team that they outplayed on paper and also for Alfie not finding way to hit the empty net toward the end (I think it was Alfie, have to look at the replay when I will actually remember it). The Sabres have one extra day to try to figure out how to keep from giving Havlat breakaways. It also gives Miller 1 extra day to settle down. Getting the W in a game that he gave up some big rebounds AND 6 goals could go a long way towards calming his jitters.

Also, 1 more game that Briere seemed invisible for large portions of the game but he gets a HUGE assist when the Sabres needed it. Sweeeeet.

Emery let in a weak goal with 10 seconds to go though. That was more confidence shaking than the OT goal he had no chance on.

685098[/snapback]

He also had a save percentage overall of something like .700. Letting in three out of every ten shots has a way of rattling goalies too.

And on that last regulation goal, he wasn't helped by having his own defenseman (I missed who) knock the rebound right back at him. It may have been a weak goal...but pathetic defense (or random chance, whichever it was) doesn't help much either.

He also had a save percentage overall of something like .700.  Letting in three out of every ten shots has a way of rattling goalies too.

And on that last regulation goal, he wasn't helped by having his own defenseman (I missed who) knock the rebound right back at him.  It may have been a weak goal...but pathetic defense (or random chance, whichever it was) doesn't help much either.

685109[/snapback]

I just thought he could have easily covered it up or knocked it away, before it got knocked out to Connolly, and just panicked, and at 10 seconds left in the playoffs at home you have to make that play.

I just thought he could have easily covered it up or knocked it away, before it got knocked out to Connolly, and just panicked, and at 10 seconds left in the playoffs at home you have to make that play.

685113[/snapback]

Yeah, but earlier in the period when Emery gave up a HUGE rebound that went off of Phillips' skate back to where he could cover it, Benedetti (sp?) and Eliot were RAVING about how great Ray was playing the rebounds. Excuse me?

It was just a case of the Sabres skaters and goalie being JUST good enough and the Otters not being quite there. This is going to be one for the ages. I love the new friggin' NHL. :P

I honestly can't remember the last time the entire Sabres season was this enjoyable. Even in '99, they had Barnaby and Hasek feuding and the monumental 2nd half collapse (until Barnaby turned into Stuuuuuuuuuuu Barrrrrrrrrnnnes). It had to be early '80's at the latest.

PS - Happy Birthday LSI.