The Darcy Regier Way

During the time Darcy Regier has been general manager of the Buffalo Sabres and Lindy Ruff has been his coach, the Florida Panthers have employed five different general managers and six different coaches.

Over the same nine years, the Leafs have had three general managers and are about to hire their third head coach.

"Change, more often than not, destabilizes your franchise rather than stabilizes it," said Regier, the general manager nobody knows or at least notices.

"I think if you miss the playoffs three years in a row and blow everything up, you're more likely to miss the playoffs seven years in a row. We got lucky here. We didn't get fired. The team was sold. We could have been fired. Ownership gave us a chance."

And here they are, in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs in a playoff matchup that is almost unfair. It's too early for either the Sabres or the Ottawa Senators to lose. Not the way they play the game. Not the way they have fit in to the new National Hockey League.

Darcy Regier Way

Misconception 2: The Sabres were intentionally built for the new NHL.

Reality: Regier wanted to build a team that could skate. He admits that, for the most part, he had no idea what the "new NHL" was going to look like

I completely agreee with this comment.

Honestly I am getting sick and tired of articles hinting that the Sabres were JUST built for the 'new NHL'. The Sabres might not be AS good in the old NHL, but I would be willing to bet they are still a solid playoff team in the old NHL. Even in the old NHL, if you have 4 lines that can score, great chemistry, and solid goaltending and a good coach, you will win, even if you do not have an abudance of 'defensive defenseman' and lots of size.

Sometimes I get the feeling writers like this from places like Toronto almost try to cheapen what the Sabres have accomplished with the "built for the new NHL" comments, because their own team is sitting home. JMHO.

I was thinking about our defensive corps this morning on my drive into work. That got me thinking about Zhitnik being released. I still have mixed emotions about that move.

Was letting him go to get Kalinin and Campbell more playing time the right move? We really have no depth at defense in our system so I'd still love to have Zhitnik around. But would Zhitnik still be effective/happy if we reduced his PT to 19-20 minutes a game?

Was he let go in anticipation of signing another stay at home defensemen (Miller, Aucoin) while letting Campbell and Kalinin take over the offensive role?

I have no answers here, just sharing my thoughts.

I also have to say - we can't lose McKee this summer. He is vital to our defensive corps. We have no one else who can take over that role in our system.

During the time Darcy Regier has been general manager of the Buffalo Sabres and Lindy Ruff has been his coach, the Florida Panthers have employed five different general managers and six different coaches.

Over the same nine years, the Leafs have had three general managers and are about to hire their third head coach.

"Change, more often than not, destabilizes your franchise rather than stabilizes it," said Regier, the general manager nobody knows or at least notices.

"I think if you miss the playoffs three years in a row and blow everything up, you're more likely to miss the playoffs seven years in a row. We got lucky here. We didn't get fired. The team was sold. We could have been fired. Ownership gave us a chance."

And here they are, in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs in a playoff matchup that is almost unfair. It's too early for either the Sabres or the Ottawa Senators to lose. Not the way they play the game. Not the way they have fit in to the new National Hockey League.

Darcy Regier Way

684211[/snapback]

Good post dude.

And does this quote sum up the Bills or what...

"I think if you miss the playoffs three years in a row and blow everything up, you're more likely to miss the playoffs seven years in a row..."

I was thinking about our defensive corps this morning on my drive into work.  That got me thinking about Zhitnik being released. I still have mixed emotions about that move.

Was letting him go to get Kalinin and Campbell more playing time the right move?  We really have no depth at defense in our system so I'd still love to have Zhitnik around.  But would Zhitnik still be effective/happy if we reduced his PT to 19-20 minutes a game?

Was he let go in anticipation of signing another stay at home defensemen (Miller, Aucoin) while letting Campbell and Kalinin take over the offensive role?

I have no answers here, just sharing my thoughts.

I also have to say - we can't lose McKee this summer.  He is vital to our defensive corps.  We have no one else who can take over that role in our system.

684274[/snapback]

Zhitnik was NOT let go. The Sabres tried to sign him - both in '04 before his contract expired and in this past off-season. He would not sign with the Sabres prior to testing free agency and then the Isles made him a better offer (more years for comparable / slightly higher per season $'s).

Had the Sabres signed Zhitnik, they most likely would not have signed Teppo. (Although it's possible they would have signed Teppo and then not traded for Lydman.) So the Sabres would most likely still be looking at the same depth issues they have had they signed Z.

Zhitnik was NOT let go.  The Sabres tried to sign him - both in '04 before his contract expired and in this past off-season.  He would not sign with the Sabres prior to testing free agency and then the Isles made him a better offer (more years for comparable / slightly higher per season $'s).

Had the Sabres signed Zhitnik, they most likely would not have signed Teppo.  (Although it's possible they would have signed Teppo and then not traded for Lydman.)  So the Sabres would most likely still be looking at the same depth issues they have had they signed Z.

684284[/snapback]

That's true about not being let go. My memory is starting to come back. The Sabres made him an offer for $4mil/year before the lockout. He turned it down. Then the Sabres let him walk for $3.5mil/year after the lockout.

I suppose those are good points about Lydman and Teppo - actually more so about Lydman. I think we signed Numminen about a month before we traded for Lydman.

That's true about not being let go.  My memory is starting to come back.  The Sabres made him an offer for $4mil/year before the lockout.  He turned it down.  Then the Sabres let him walk for $3.5mil/year after the lockout.

I suppose those are good points about Lydman and Teppo - actually more so about Lydman.  I think we signed Numminen about a month before we traded for Lydman.

684309[/snapback]

The Sabres did sign Numminen about 3 weeks before getting Toni. But the Sabres probably would not have tried to sign Teppo if they had Z (or if they had gotten Aucoin after they lost Z). I think the Sabres would have still tried to get Lydman if they had Z and not Teppo.

It's VERY doubtful that the Sabres would have had all 3 D on the season opening roster as the team payroll would have been above the $29MM that the Sabres wanted to max out at. My gut feel is that Teppo is the one that isn't wearing a Shatanic Goat if Z is, but it is possible that Lydman is the odd man out. Lydman is younger and cheaper than Teppo, and as such I would expect that he would be the preferred target if Z is in the stable.