Tired of plain old Twinkies?

Get the Twinkie Cookbook

Book Description

In 2005, as part of Twinkies’ 75th anniversary celebration, Hostess put out a call for recipes, asking people to share their ideas for cooking—yes, cooking—with Twinkies. Hundreds of people from across the country responded with an amazing collection of homegrown, creative, and sometimes wacky recipes. Nostalgic, colorful, and a delight for the whole family, this is the perfect book for the Twinkie lover in all of us.

From the Publisher

* The official Twinkies cookbook, showcasing hardcore fans’ recipes for fun, new ways—sweet and savory!—to enjoy Twinkies. * Includes more than 50 recipes and 20 full-color photographs. * Features a historical introduction to the Twinkie, complete with archival photographs and advertisements. About Twinkies: "The Twinkie is the perfect postmodern artifact, a pop culture staple."

—Baltimore Sun "The genius of Twinkies is they are exactly what they are—amazingly simple and tres elegantes."

—Jane Stern, coauthor of Roadfood "[The doctor] said it wouldn’t hurt me, so I even ate a Twinkie in intensive care."

—Ninety-year-old Twinkie-eating legend Lewis Browning, Washington Post

Selected Recipes:

Twinkie Sushi

Twinkie Burrito

Pigs in a Twinkie

Pumpkin Twinkie Bread Pudding

Peanut Butter and Jelly Twinkie Cake

Oh, that sure sounds healthy.

683212[/snapback]

Glasgow Scotland- heart attack capital of Europe. How about this one? A deep fried Mars bar with ketchup. Thats a big item in Scotland as well

Go to Scotland(or Las Vegas) and get one deep fried

683205[/snapback]

Mrs Rock and me saw them in China Town, NYC (but did not partake).

Here is a recipe:

Deep-Fried Twinkies

From Good Morning America and Janet K. Keeler, St. Petersburg Times food editor

6 Twinkies

Popsicle sticks

4 cups vegetable oil

Flour for dusting

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons vinegar

1 Tablespoon oil

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.

2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.

3. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.

4. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.

5. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.

6. Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.

7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.

8. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6.

Note: I love that... You start with 6 Twinkies and the recipe makes 6 - :w00t:

Go to Scotland(or Las Vegas) and get one deep fried

683205[/snapback]

Man, getting your twinkie deep fried. That must really burn.

What?

I've got a Twinkie Retatta recipe that kicks ass...unfortunately, it's too time-consuming to prepare often.

First, you have to boil water....

683403[/snapback]

:w00t::blink:

Who had eball and 9:22 AM on May 4 for the first Retatta reference on this thread?

Actually, I had a deep fried Twinkie at the Cuyahoga County Fair last summer...it was really good. I have an affinity for deep fried food that unfortunately, my wife (the lovely and talented Kimberly) does not share.

If I ever find the chocolate covered Twinkies I saw on "Unwrapped" last fall, it's all over.

Mike