A little help here regarding the

I seem to recall a few years ago a Rochester professor proved used camera angles that the the illegal forward pass in Tennessee was actually an illegal forward pass. Does anyone have a link for the article, I think it was in D & C. Thanks.

www.getoveritalready.com

:doh::lol:

I seem to recall a few years ago a Rochester professor proved used camera angles that the the illegal forward pass in Tennessee was actually an illegal forward pass.  Does anyone have a link for the article, I think it was in D & C.  Thanks.

682899[/snapback]

I seem to recall a few years ago a Rochester professor proved used camera angles that the the illegal forward pass in Tennessee was actually an illegal forward pass.  Does anyone have a link for the article, I think it was in D & C.  Thanks.

682899[/snapback]

Mark Bocko's the guy you're looking for. I know the guy. Used to play in a big band with him.

From here.

Scientist Says Titans' Lateral Versus Bills Went Forward

According to a professor at the University of Rochester, the lateral thrown by Tennessee Titan Frank Wycheck to beat Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs was probably an illegal forward pass.

Mark Bocko, a professor of electrical and computer engineering, said the position of the television camera and the height of the ball when it was thrown versus when it was caught are the key factors to consider.

"The point was the fact that the ball was higher when it was thrown than when it was caught makes it look like the ball may have gone backwards," he said. "You're viewing this trajectory in three dimensions, from an angle that makes it appear it went backward. It's basically just simple geometry."

Bocko, a longtime Bills fan, watched the game on television, saw the replays and studied photographs in the newspaper the next day.

"So Sunday morning, I sat down at my computer and wrote a program to plot trajectory," he said. "This isn't definitive, because I don't know exactly where the camera was."

He estimated that when the ball was thrown it was about 6 feet off the ground and was caught about 1 foot above the ground.

While the ball was thrown on the 25-yard line, he estimated that the television camera catching the action was located at about the 20-yard line, creating a geometric illusion.

Viewing the path of the ball against the background of the 25-yard line, it appears to be a legal lateral. But projecting the path of the ball down onto the playing surface, the ball can be seen advancing upfield.

"To make a definitive determination of the legality of the lateral one would need to know the precise location of the camera that took the replay video, and in the absence of such information, this analysis is subject to revision," he said.