Moussaoui gets life in prison

Lori

You are correct, it is common knowledge...but, I wonder if it is true.  (FYI, I am against the death penalty.)  I have never seen the studies and data used to make the claim, so i reserve judgement.  It strikes me as probably being true due to all of the appeals and legal maneuvers involved in killing someone.

I wonder what in costs in a state like Texas that has, basically, assembly-line executions?

682946[/snapback]

I'm not so much against the death penalty as I am against the ability to appeal it. The death penalty would work more efficiently as a deterrent if the defendent was put to death in a reasonable timeframe.

Years ago, when I was a wee journalism lad in Marion, North Carolina (circa 1983), I covered the double murder trial of one James Ross, who was hired as manager of a boy scout camp near the town of Old Fort. He raped, murdered and buried the bodies of two boys, one age 13 and the other age 14. They were cousins. Their mothers were sisters. After raping them in the ass, he shot them each at point blank range in the back of the head and threw their bodies into an oil pit. The final evidence at court was pubic hairs removed from the boy's asses that were microscopically consistent with the pubic hairs of Ross.

He was sentenced to death by lethal injection. I recently did some Googling and found him now serving a life sentence. It's been 20 years since he raped and murdered the boys, but there he sits.

If he was killed within a year of his conviction...and in fact if ALL people subjected to the death penalty were killed within a year of their conviction, I am personally convinced it would be a tremendous deterrent.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again with getting too political, is more important getting the case right or saving money?  I don't know the statistics, but for the sake of discussion, let's say 99.9% of those sentenced to the death penalty are guilty.  To me, that 0.1% sentenced to wrongly die by the state or federal courts is way too many.  Just make them rot in a cell, perhaps somewhat make some retribution to society, and let the powers above (or below  :doh: ) sort them out.  Just my two cents.

682972[/snapback]

Personally, I think life in prison is more inhumane than the death penalty. That is why we have the jury system. A juror has to live with the lifechanging decision they make. The guilty party sentenced to life is deemed unworthy of participating in our society. Why should one cent of taxpayer dollars be spent on be spent on someone so they can rot or be abused to death. We treat a dog that bites better.

Not to be too political.... :lol:

I'm not so much against the death penalty as I am against the ability to appeal it. The death penalty would work more efficiently as a deterrent if the defendent was put to death in a reasonable timeframe.

Years ago, when I was a wee journalism lad in Marion, North Carolina (circa 1983), I covered the double murder trial of one James Ross, who was hired as manager of a boy scout camp near the town of Old Fort.  He raped, murdered and buried the bodies of two boys, one age 13 and the other age 14. They were cousins. Their mothers were sisters. After raping them in the ass, he shot them each at point blank range in the back of the head and threw their bodies into an oil pit. The final evidence at court was pubic hairs removed from the boy's asses that were microscopically consistent with the pubic hairs of Ross.

He was sentenced to death by lethal injection. I recently did some Googling and found him now serving a life sentence. It's been 20 years since he raped and murdered the boys, but there he sits.

If he was killed within a year of his conviction...and in fact if ALL people subjected to the death penalty were killed within a year of their conviction, I am personally convinced it would be a tremendous deterrent.

682984[/snapback]

I don't think so

People look at doing criminal acts ....from the aspect of not getting caught........and that if they do get caught the actual act was worth it.

$20 for a box of 30/06. Problem solved.

682921[/snapback]

2 shots to the head and bill the family for the bullets. Anyways I hope Mousaoui has a long, miserable, painful life and that he meets lots of lots of fellow prisoners who like to beat the sh-- out of him. !@#$ you Mousaoui!

More tax $ wasted with a guy rotting in jail...why not just end it?

682872[/snapback]

It cost many times more money to execute someone than to leave them in prison for life. It's a simple fact that is missed far too often. Welcome to the power of the legal lobby.

I don't have a problem with him being in prison for life. I'll sleep every night knowing some incarcerated American is doing their level best to throw a nice meat whistle his way.

It cost many times more money to execute someone than to leave them in prison for life.  It's a simple fact that is missed far too often.  Welcome to the power of the legal lobby.

I don't have a problem with him being in prison for life.  I'll sleep every night knowing some incarcerated American is doing their level best to throw a nice meat whistle his way.

Well, if they DON'T kill him, I hope it's done with "the other white" meat. Should DQ him from the 70-odd virgins he thinks he'll be getting. :doh:

In the long run this was the right decision. You don't want to give the terrorists anything to be fighting for. Also this will make Mussaoui think about what he's done for th3e rest of his life. Isn't he like 34 or something. Either way, unless he commits suicide or something like that in jail, he will suffer tremendously.

Again with getting too political, is more important getting the case right or saving money?  I don't know the statistics, but for the sake of discussion, let's say 99.9% of those sentenced to the death penalty are guilty.  To me, that 0.1% sentenced to wrongly die by the state or federal courts is way too many.  Just make them rot in a cell, perhaps somewhat make some retribution to society, and let the powers above (or below  :doh: ) sort them out.  Just my two cents.

682972[/snapback]

Mostly because your day to day job isn't to guard people who have absolutely no reason to live. It's alot easier to say it's not bad but those people are the worst of humanity and they continue to commit crimes (both inside and outside the prison system).

I don't think so

People look at doing criminal acts ....from the aspect of not getting caught........and that if they do get caught the actual act was worth it.

683076[/snapback]

We'll never know if we don't try. Kill them quicker. That's all I ask. Make them think twice.

Before you guys go talking about something further. There are some things you should know about this sentence.

23 hours in lock down in his own cell.

1 hour of recreation time alone.....this is most likely just bouncing a ball off a wall in another room.

He will not see another human being ever again besides the guards.

No chance of parole.

Just do some research on supermax prisons with people in lockdown. Its not like he is going to be in general population. His life will be the same thing everyday. No movies....no fun......just nothing but thinking.

Basically he is going to go insane in the end. This is far worse than death.

Great decision by the jury because this guy is going to suffer.

Before you guys go talking about something further. There are some things you should know about this sentence.

1 hour of recreation time alone.....this is most likely just bouncing a ball off a wall in another room.

No chance of parole.

Just do some research on supermax prisons with people in lockdown. Its not like he is going to be in general population. His life will be the same thing everyday. No movies....no fun......just nothing but thinking.

683647[/snapback]

I agree. If that all actually transpires, I'm loving it.

As a side note, France is discussing moving him to a French prison.

No chance of parole.

683647[/snapback]

He will be insane long before he dies...The gaurds im sure know every trick in the book...For a boring job its got its perks...

Years ago, when I was a wee journalism lad in Marion, North Carolina (circa 1983), I covered the double murder trial of one James Ross, who was hired as manager of a boy scout camp near the town of Old Fort.  He raped, murdered and buried the bodies of two boys, one age 13 and the other age 14. They were cousins. Their mothers were sisters. After raping them in the ass, he shot them each at point blank range in the back of the head and threw their bodies into an oil pit. The final evidence at court was pubic hairs removed from the boy's asses that were microscopically consistent with the pubic hairs of Ross.

682984[/snapback]

Now I get it...so THIS is why it costs more to sentence someone to death versus life in prison??? Man LA, your take on this was graphic and made me realize there are some REAL sick SOB's out there...This fuker should have been DEAD 15+ years ago.

What a disgrase out system can be at times.

He will be insane long before he dies...The gaurds im sure know every trick in the book...For a boring job its got its perks...

683656[/snapback]

"I signed the confession as a joke...even though I was involved. Richard Reid and I were supposed to hijack a plane together. You should all die! Now kill me!"

He's insane already.

And it's probably a fair sentence...I doubt he was truly materially involved to the point where he could have prevented anything. He's an attention whore. A wanna-be. Now he has the pleasure of thinking he's done something with his life, which is probably what he always wanted to begin with.

Actually he wanted to die so he could be a martyr and have those 99 virigins or whatever it is when he dies.

683681[/snapback]

I think PooPoo Monkey has it closer, but that's just me.

Al Qaida thinks he's a moron.