Should Norm Chow be able to convince the Titans

Yea or nay, if Matt Leinart was really a stud, shouldn't his college coach be able to convince his NFL team to draft him?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Yea or nay, if Matt Leinart was really a stud, shouldn't his college coach be able to convince his NFL team to draft him?

• Yes. If Leinart was great, and Chow said we need this guy, the defensive minded coach Fisher would defer to his OC.
    • Maybe. Fisher is a headstong coach and if he thinks another guy is better, he and Floyd Reese would overrule Norm Chow.
    • No. It's not his place, and even if he lobbied hard, a head coach and GM cannot play favorites.
    • Other.

For me, if Norm Chow really thought Leinart was a great prospect, or remotely close to a can't miss player, and Norm Chow probably knows him better than anyone, he would be able to convince the Titans brass that Leinart is the guy. Especially considering that Vince Young was as big a risk as any of the other players as far as the #3 pick goes.

I read somewhere that both Fisher and Chow wanted Leinart.  The owner and GM wanted Young.  You already know who won that debate.

682011[/snapback]

That is very believable if not totally predictable. If you took any random four NFL coaches/GMs/owners, two would likely pick Leinart and two Young. There are good and bad points about both of them. My point is if Chow was ALL over this guy, and said, in all honesty, he is a stud and you guys are nuts if you don't take him, that he would be able to make the owner and GM lean to his side.

I read somewhere that both Fisher and Chow wanted Leinart.  The owner and GM wanted Young.  You already know who won that debate.

682011[/snapback]

Yes, I think it was a command decision. Bud Adams moved the team to Nashville & still lives in Houston. Word is he wants nothing more than to show up the Texans, that's why the hometown hero was the choice.

Yes, I think it was a command decision. Bud Adams moved the team to Nashville & still lives in Houston. Word is he wants nothing more than to show up the Texans, that's why the hometown hero was the choice.

682031[/snapback]

So even though the Texans decided not to pick Young either, Adams was going to choose a player he thought was inferior to Leinart just so he could show up the Texans? Obviously, he thought Young was better. You don't show up the Texans by losing, or picking a player you thought was worse than the other guy because he was born in that city. :D That's some of the most convoluted thinking I have ever heard.

So even though the Texans decided not to pick Young either, Adams was going to choose a player he thought was inferior to Leinart just so he could show up the Texans? Obviously, he thought Young was better. You don't show up the Texans by losing, or picking a player you thought was worse than the other guy because he was born in that city.  :lol: That's some of the most convoluted thinking I have ever heard.

682040[/snapback]

This is kind of what Mort reported last week :D:angry::lol: Seriously...

So even though the Texans decided not to pick Young either, Adams was going to choose a player he thought was inferior to Leinart just so he could show up the Texans? Obviously, he thought Young was better. You don't show up the Texans by losing, or picking a player you thought was worse than the other guy because he was born in that city.  :D That's some of the most convoluted thinking I have ever heard.

682040[/snapback]

Believe it or not, it's just someone's take. The other part of the story goes that both Fisher (& Chow) are not happy about the pick at all & as a result, this is probably JF's last year with the Titans. I don't remember Mort, saw it somewhere else, forget where. And yeah, the take falls apart if they didn't think Young was any good, but as a tie-breaker to a tough decision, I've seen stranger things happen.

Believe it or not, it's just someone's take. The other part of the story goes that both Fisher (& Chow) are not happy about the pick at all & as a result, this is probably JF's last year with the Titans. I don't remember Mort, saw it somewhere else, forget where.

682049[/snapback]

The point is that it's very possible to believe that Adams thought Vince Young was a better player than Matt Leinart, and overruled his coaches. He's the owner, it's his team and money, he may be right or wrong. It's impossible to believe, IMO, that he thought Leinart was better and chose Young instead in order to stick it to Houston. Which brings us back to the point of the poll. If Leinart was really that good, in Chow's eyes, I would think he would have been able to convince Reese and Adams that Leinart is the guy.

The point is that it's very possible to believe that Adams thought Vince Young was a better player than Matt Leinart, and overruled his coaches. He's the owner, it's his team and money, he may be right or wrong. It's impossible to believe, IMO, that he thought Leinart was better and chose Young instead in order to stick it to Houston. Which brings us back to the point of the poll. If Leinart was really that good, in Chow's eyes, I would think he would have been able to convince Reese and Adams that Leinart is the guy.

682057[/snapback]

Beat me, I added more to my post above. :D Agreed, your take could be valid.

682057[/snapback]

Its obvious to me. Noone in the pro game other than Norm Chow worked with Leinart day to day for three years. Norm's opinion had to leave some room for debate or Leinart would be a Titan. I will offer a bit of a contra opinion in that..Young is more similar to McNair than Leinart is. The Titans have built offensive talent around a style like McNair's...if the Leinart vs. Young talent assessment was equal or very close--the surrounding talent and their skills or lack there of may have been a determining factor....

Its obvious to me.  Noone in the pro game other than Norm Chow worked with Leinart day to day for three years.  Norm's opinion had to leave some room for debate or Leinart would be a Titan.  I will offer a bit of a contra opinion in that..Young is more similar to McNair than Leinart is.  The Titans have built offensive talent around a style like McNair's...if the Leinart vs. Young talent assessment was equal or very close--the surrounding talent and their skills or lack there of may have been a determining factor....

682065[/snapback]

I don't know if I would've taken either at #3, but I think between those 2, they made the right choice. Maybe higher potential risk, but I think much higher potential reward.

Its obvious to me.  Noone in the pro game other than Norm Chow worked with Leinart day to day for three years.  Norm's opinion had to leave some room for debate or Leinart would be a Titan.  I will offer a bit of a contra opinion in that..Young is more similar to McNair than Leinart is.  The Titans have built offensive talent around a style like McNair's...if the Leinart vs. Young talent assessment was equal or very close--the surrounding talent and their skills or lack there of may have been a determining factor....

682065[/snapback]

I guess, except that Volek is a completely different quarterback than mcNair and they signed him to a nice deal. And they just announced today that they were going to design their offense around Young and LenDale White, so again it's just hard to believe that Chow thought Leinart was great. It's just conjecture, but he probably thought what everyone else does, he does certain things great but his weaknesses may or may not kill him in the NFL.

682011[/snapback]

Peter King said this on WGR today.

I have mixed feelings on Leinart but I'd be very surprised if Young becomes a player.

I don't know if I would've taken either at #3, but I think between those 2, they made the right choice. Maybe higher potential risk, but I think much higher potential reward.

682071[/snapback]

Yeah, I probably would have taken Young, too. I think Leinart = Pennington and is going to break a lot of hearts. I don't think Young is a sure bet either but if I had to choose, I would probably take Young. But I wouldn't take either at #3.

That said, Young could be a better player and not do as well as Leinart considering he fell to AZ, has the best receiving corps in the league and Edgerrin James and an offensive minded coach known for making bad QBs good.

So even though the Texans decided not to pick Young either, Adams was going to choose a player he thought was inferior to Leinart just so he could show up the Texans? Obviously, he thought Young was better. You don't show up the Texans by losing, or picking a player you thought was worse than the other guy because he was born in that city.  :P That's some of the most convoluted thinking I have ever heard.

682040[/snapback]

the other thing that has been mentioned is that fisher pushed very hard for pacman last year and reese wanted someone else. this is a little bit of payback for fisher.