Announcer pool

dib

As bad as you out-of-towners think the announcing is for the hockey games when you don't get the Jenarette feed, this past Sunday made me realize there is something far, far worse (and you've all probably experienced one of these guys before...They are prevalent at Bills games, but hockey is much worse because it's a faster game):

When you attend a game in person and the guy sitting behind you proceeds to give you the entire play by play for the entire game. Luckily, this only lasted two periods, because at the end of the 2nd, I had built up enough "Latbatt's courage" to turn around and ask him politely to tone down his commentary. It was annoying as hell!!! The guy definitely fancied himself as a hockey 'expert' because he probably plays in a Men's Rollerblade league on Wednesday nights. He mentioned 10 times how lazy Maxim is on defense and that he doesn't like him as a player, continuously pointed out Sabres turnovers, and repeatedly questioned the decisions of the Sabres players, i.e. "Why would Kalinin pass that up the boards?" and "Point! Point! Oh man, Briere's gotta pass that back to the point!" The only thing that made it worth while was situations when he would complain about Kalinin passing it up the wall, but the pass would end up jumpstarting a 2-on-1 break.

I don't know how this guy's friend could stand going to the game with him. He did rein it in for the 3rd period after I said something. I really wasn't a dick about it, I said I know you're excited, but this madness has to stop. I think his buddy was thankful. Trust me, laying on the couch with a brewski listening to OLN is better than hearing some nerdy hockey hero barking in your ear all game.

As bad as you out-of-towners think the announcing is for the hockey games when you don't get the Jenarette feed, this past Sunday made me realize there is something far, far worse (and you've all probably experienced one of these guys before...They are prevalent at Bills games, but hockey is much worse because it's a faster game):

When you attend a game in person and the guy sitting behind you proceeds to give you the entire play by play for the entire game.  Luckily, this only lasted two periods, because at the end of the 2nd, I had built up enough "Latbatt's courage" to turn around and ask him politely to tone down his commentary.  It was annoying as hell!!!  The guy definitely fancied himself as a hockey 'expert' because he probably plays in a Men's Rollerblade league on Wednesday nights.  He mentioned 10 times how lazy Maxim is on defense and that he doesn't like him as a player, continuously pointed out Sabres turnovers, and repeatedly questioned the decisions of the Sabres players, i.e. "Why would Kalinin pass that up the boards?" and "Point!  Point!  Oh man, Briere's gotta pass that back to the point!"  The only thing that made it worth while was situations when he would complain about Kalinin passing it up the wall, but the pass would end up jumpstarting a 2-on-1 break.

I don't know how this guy's friend could stand going to the game with him.  He did rein it in for the 3rd period after I said something.  I really wasn't a dick about it, I said I know you're excited, but this madness has to stop.  I think his buddy was thankful.  Trust me, laying on the couch with a brewski listening to OLN is better than hearing some nerdy hockey hero barking in your ear all game.

680951[/snapback]

He doesn't by chance to go to baseball games in DC too, does he?

When you attend a game in person and the guy sitting behind you proceeds to give you the entire play by play for the entire game.  Luckily, this only lasted two periods, because at the end of the 2nd, I had built up enough "Latbatt's courage" to turn around and ask him politely to tone down his commentary.  It was annoying as hell!!!  The guy definitely fancied himself as a hockey 'expert' because he probably plays in a Men's Rollerblade league on Wednesday nights.  He mentioned 10 times how lazy Maxim is on defense and that he doesn't like him as a player, continuously pointed out Sabres turnovers, and repeatedly questioned the decisions of the Sabres players, i.e. "Why would Kalinin pass that up the boards?" and "Point!  Point!  Oh man, Briere's gotta pass that back to the point!"  The only thing that made it worth while was situations when he would complain about Kalinin passing it up the wall, but the pass would end up jumpstarting a 2-on-1 break.

I don't know how this guy's friend could stand going to the game with him.  He did rein it in for the 3rd period after I said something.  I really wasn't a dick about it, I said I know you're excited, but this madness has to stop.  I think his buddy was thankful.  Trust me, laying on the couch with a brewski listening to OLN is better than hearing some nerdy hockey hero barking in your ear all game.

680951[/snapback]

I have the same problem when I watch games with my roommates. I just like to sit and enjoy the game in peace and silence. I usually go to my room at watch games there.