Lookin Deeper, Draft has the makes of Marv's 1987

Taking the first 5 rounds of the draft. Both 1st may have been a reach but I dont think the trade was there.

Take the first round....

Nate may be finished in Buffalo. He has NOT signed his tag contract (yet) and wants a long term deal. I dont think Marv is going to do that for Nate. Nate's play was not up to snuff for top pay..... If possible, trade him for next years draft... Houston and Oakland will jump on Nate for a 3rd or more..... Whitner will be a starter from game one on.

Simpson and Youboty were STEALS for the Bills. This also shores up Nates goodbye.

Simpson will grow faster that Youboty as a player but I give the talent to Youboty in the end. Both these guys will be top secondary guys in 2-3 years.

McCargo - Its not about when a person is drafted, its comes down to what he is drafted for. Williams has some nice size and better speed than the 2 other DT taken before him hands down. HE IS ALSO SMARTER... Marv is going to a faster front which will open the door for our LB's. Rememeber Paup? He went nuts (17 sack season) due to Buffalo's speedy line. Only question now with the LB's is the health of Spikes when he returns.

Williams (DT 5th round) Will be a starter. Growing pains for DT are easy to solve and I think both these guys will be starters, side by side...

Butler- Will start but struggle against top linemen in his first season. Will be the anchor in 2 years on this team....

Pennington- Very smart and good feet. Will fill in on the line as a backup and may start in 3-5 years

Merz- Big work in progress but talent is there....

Now comes the facts of this season for us guys. Is it a write-off? Sure is and we should all be happy about it. We will go into next years draft with the high 1st-5th pick. I got a feeling you will see Buffalo take another QB and see Marv push to build this team in the draft and bring in some good (not superstars) supporting and starting players.

I dont think Marv is looking for the best player for each position but more of the smartest player with the most talent for the position.

I will support my Bills and B word about losing but I know this team will get better in the next couple of years.

Go Bills and

COME ON OVER TO THE SABRES CHAT TONIGHT AND HELP US CHEER FOR OUR BUFFALO SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate may be finished in Buffalo.  He has NOT signed his tag contract (yet) and wants a long term deal.  I dont think Marv is going to do that for Nate.  Nate's play was not up to snuff for top pay.....  If possible, trade him for next years draft...  Houston and Oakland will jump on Nate for a 3rd or more.....  Whitner will be a starter from game one on.

680842[/snapback]

I've got a much better idea. let NC sit for as long as he likes. he has to sign our offer or sit out the season. in which case we re-franchise him next year and trade him.

NC will be playing for a big contract this season, so there is a solid chance that he'll increase his worth this year and we will benefit next year.

Under NO circumstance should we allow NC go for a 3rd this year.

Whitner is a S, and will not be replacing NC. Simpson and Youbouty will be the eventual replacements or Greer or King for that matter.

However we need NC this year so the young guys can learn.

a 3rd for Nate...are you serious?

why do people insist on saying Marvs drafts when in fact they were Polians drafts? Marv was probably involved but they were not his drafts, people really need to stop saying that

why do people insist on saying Marvs drafts when in fact they were Polians drafts? Marv was probably involved but they were not his drafts, people really need to stop saying that

680851[/snapback]

Maybe from the following quote (not from me, merely from a quick 'google') AND the fact Polian readily admits he and Levy collaborated on the draft, it was not Polian. As such, why do people exclusively focus on Polian as the critical piece in the Bills success. Oh that is right, because Indy is proudly coming off a fourth straight super bowl appeara.........a third straight championship gam..........another playoff appearance........

With the talent he has had in Indy for as long as he has had it, you would think ONE superbowl appearance, at the least, would have occurred by now, no?

"While working closely with Marv Levy, Polian made a recipe that was molded into the best team Buffalo ever had."

People need to stop crediting Polian, when Levy is the factor to success.

1000000000 % correct.

The Colts are built just like the Buffalo Bills of the early 90's. Colts are not as firm on the D as we were. Polian is a more focused O man. Marv is looking for the balance here. I still think JP is on probation here this season. I think Buffalo may just draft another QB next year IF we have the hight pick.

Back on the Colts though......

What got Buffalo into those Super Bowls were the 12th man and weather! Buffalo's fans are a billion times louder and the weather is a wonderful thing in the winter!!!! We did win some huge road games though those years.

Maybe from the following quote (not from me, merely from a quick 'google') AND the fact Polian readily admits he and Levy collaborated on the draft, it was not Polian.  As such, why do people exclusively focus on Polian as the critical piece in the Bills success. Oh that is right, because Indy is proudly coming off a fourth straight super bowl appeara.........a third straight championship gam..........another playoff appearance........

With the talent he has had in Indy for as long as he has had it, you would think ONE superbowl appearance, at the least, would have occurred by now, no?

"While working closely with Marv Levy, Polian made a recipe that was molded into the best team Buffalo ever had."

680901[/snapback]

680901[/snapback]

Maybe it's me, but which person sounds like the sous chef in that quote?

Maybe from the following quote (not from me, merely from a quick 'google') AND the fact Polian readily admits he and Levy collaborated on the draft, it was not Polian.  As such, why do people exclusively focus on Polian as the critical piece in the Bills success. Oh that is right, because Indy is proudly coming off a fourth straight super bowl appeara.........a third straight championship gam..........another playoff appearance........

680901[/snapback]

Well it was ALWAYS the combination of the two when Polian was there...Marv freely admits to fighting against the Biscuit Trade before eventually giving in to Polian...It's one of Marv's favorite stories...I think when Polian left though, Marv became the last word on Talent over Butler...Where Polian and Levy worked pretty much as equals on the Final decisions, Butler probably had to get a sign-off on most things from the Coach...

I think trying to determine who was more responsible for The Bills success between Levy and Polian is futile because they were equals in the scheme of things... :lol:

Maybe it's me, but which person sounds like the sous chef in that quote?

681061[/snapback]

Next time I will put the appropriate emoticon after my typing - you are correct; my words were in direct response to the poster I quoted. I simply used the same generality with different names to highlight how 'interesting' the earlier comment was.

Plus, I add a little logic regarding Polian's inability (yet) to attain another superbowl without Marv. Therefore, using very primative logic, maybe Marv is the genius and not so much Polian (whom I highly highly respect by the way).

IMHO, those that marginalize Marv THEN and NOW are being unfair, petty, and, and are not Bills 'fans' in any sense of the term.

680851[/snapback]

agreed and agreed

I guess thats why I put "looking Deeper" in the title...

Might be too much reading for you, ill add a picture the next time....

You're funny. Don't you remember that on draft day, you said Marv was on Jello? In case you forgot...

My Webpage

Pick a side and stick with it!

681241[/snapback]

Taking the first 5 rounds of the draft.  Both 1st may have been a reach but I dont think the trade was there.

Take the first round....

Nate may be finished in Buffalo.  He has NOT signed his tag contract (yet) and wants a long term deal.  I dont think Marv is going to do that for Nate.  Nate's play was not up to snuff for top pay.....  If possible, trade him for next years draft...  Houston and Oakland will jump on Nate for a 3rd or more.....  Whitner will be a starter from game one on.

Simpson and Youboty were STEALS for the Bills.  This also shores up Nates goodbye. 

Simpson will grow faster that Youboty as a player but I give the talent to Youboty in the end.  Both these guys will be top secondary guys in 2-3 years.

McCargo -  Its not about when a person is drafted, its comes down to what he is drafted for.  Williams has some nice size and better speed than the 2 other DT taken before him hands down.  HE IS ALSO SMARTER...  Marv is going to a faster front which will open the door for our LB's.  Rememeber Paup?  He went nuts (17 sack season) due to Buffalo's speedy line.  Only question now with the LB's is the health of Spikes when he returns.

Williams (DT 5th round)  Will be a starter.  Growing pains for DT are easy to solve and I think both these guys will be starters, side by side...

Butler-  Will start but struggle against top linemen in his first season.  Will be the anchor in 2 years on this team....

Pennington- Very smart and good feet.  Will fill in on the line as a backup and may start in 3-5 years

Merz-  Big work in progress but talent is there....

Now comes the facts of this season for us guys.  Is it a write-off?  Sure is and we should all be happy about it.  We will go into next years draft with the high 1st-5th pick.  I got a feeling you will see Buffalo take another QB and see Marv push to build this team in the draft and bring in some good (not superstars) supporting and starting players.

I dont think Marv is looking for the best player for each position but more of the smartest player with the most talent for the position.

I will support my Bills and B word about losing but I know this team will get better in the next couple of years.

Go Bills and

COME ON OVER TO THE SABRES CHAT TONIGHT AND HELP US CHEER FOR OUR BUFFALO SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

680842[/snapback]

- Nate not signing his tag isn't that big of a deal...a lot of them sign it late. What it does signal I think is the end of Nate after this next year with the drafting of Yabooty....it also makes Yabooty a very smart pick given his talent level. He gets to learn under a very good corner in Clements for a year. The smart thing to do would be to keep Nate this year and tag him again next. Then trade him for what I beleive will be a first round pick. I think the D is going to greatly improve this next year with a improved pass rush up the middle thus creating more turnover chances for the db's

- I dont think Williams will be a starter over McCargo....what I envision is a rotation that we can depend upon between Tripplett, McCargo, Williams, and Anderson. I think that we will attack offenses up the middle in waves.....keeping linemen fresh and I see us giving up some runs but also see us getting a lot more up the middle press on passers......

- I dont think Butler is a starter this year but will provide valuable backup and will be the RT in the future...with Peters moving to LG