NHL playoffs seeding question...

Without getting ahead of myself, I'm trying to figure out what the 2nd round matchups will be if both the Sabres and Canes win their series. Does the NHL "re-seed" based upon regular season points, or do they continue with the division winners as the higher seeds even if they have fewer points than another team?

In other words, would it be based on points:

Ottawa (1st) vs. NJ (4th)

Carolina (2nd) vs. Buffalo (3rd)

or based on original seed:

Ottawa (#1) vs. Buffalo (#4)

Carolina (#2) vs. Jersey (#3)

???

If all the series end like they've been going, it'll be Ottawa/buffalo and jersey/carolina.

Greeeeat. C'mon Habs!

:lol:

Imperative theat the Swords finish this series tonight, IMO.

680864[/snapback]

Keep us clear of Jersey, please. I don't think this team is ready for them.... at least not yet.

Without getting ahead of myself, I'm trying to figure out what the 2nd round matchups will be if both the Sabres and Canes win their series.  Does the NHL "re-seed" based upon regular season points, or do they continue with the division winners as the higher seeds even if they have fewer points than another team?

In other words, would it be based on points:

Ottawa (1st) vs. NJ (4th)

Carolina (2nd) vs. Buffalo (3rd)

or based on original seed:

Ottawa (#1) vs. Buffalo (#4)

Carolina (#2) vs. Jersey (#3)

???

680833[/snapback]

See why i wanted them to lose that last game E. Besides the fact that us mid atlantic boys could be going to the games, who ya want, the Canes or the Senators?

That win kinda reminds me of the Cinci win, do yourself no favors.

Not near as bad as it was in the NBA though. Forget who it was but two teams were tied and playing each other, and whoever LOST got home court and a much easier team in the first series as the NBA seeds by division, but the team with the more wins gets home court

Not near as bad as it was in the NBA though. Forget who it was but two teams were tied and playing each other, and whoever LOST got home court and a much easier team in the first series as the NBA seeds by division, but the team with the more wins gets home court

680867[/snapback]

That was the Clippers - they wanted the #6 seed so they could play the division winning #3 seed Nuggets - whom they had a better record than. Yeah, it was a freak thing that doesn't happen often but the system is designed to benefit the team with the best reg. season in the later rounds. Do you think it'd be fair if the Devils had home ice over the Sabres in the Eastern finals despite winning fewer games in an easier division?

That was the Clippers - they wanted the #6 seed so they could play the division winning #3 seed Nuggets - whom they had a better record than.  Yeah, it was a freak thing that doesn't happen often but the system is designed to benefit the team with the best reg. season in the later rounds.  Do you think it'd be fair if the Devils had home ice over the Sabres in the Eastern finals despite winning fewer games in an easier division?

680885[/snapback]

I guess the easier divison thing is the hard part. The NFL division winner is always gunna be home agaisn't a wild card, no? I guess i just do not understand the seedings in the NBA. On one hand, a division winner gets a higher seed, but what the F* does a higher seed mean if theres no home court to go along with it.

I guess the only true, completely fair way would be to do away with divisions, and simply play a balanced schedule within each conference.

If I remember WAYYYYYYY back, pretty sure thats was how it was done back in the eraly 70's in the NHL

I guess the easier divison thing is the hard part. The NFL division winner is always gunna be home agaisn't a wild card, no? I guess i just do not understand the seedings in the NBA. On one hand, a division winner gets a higher seed, but what the F* does a higher seed mean if theres no home court to go along with it.

I guess the only true, completely fair way would be to do away with divisions, and simply play a balanced schedule within each conference.

If I remember WAYYYYYYY back, pretty sure thats was how it was done back in the eraly 70's in the NHL

680906[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the NFL system. With 4 divisions it's inevitable that an 8-8 division winner will host a 13-3 wildcard some day, which would just be retarded. There was 12-4 Jax @ 10-6 NE last year, although it's hard to feel sorry for the Jags since they played a super weak schedule.

Although you wouldn't know it by the Nuggets early exit in the playoffs, their seeding helped them. If they seeded by record they would've played a team better than the Clippers.

680906[/snapback]

I can understand giving a division champ the home <court/ice/field> to reward the championship, but after the first round the home team should be the one with the better record. In all sports.

I can understand giving a division champ the home <court/ice/field> to reward the championship, but after the first round the home team should be the one with the better record.  In all sports.

680957[/snapback]

who is that delicious piece of ass in your avatar?

If all the series end like they've been going, it'll be Ottawa/buffalo and jersey/carolina.

Greeeeat. C'mon Habs!

:P

Imperative theat the Swords finish this series tonight, IMO.

680864[/snapback]

i think we're done tonight :D