What is the sport reporting like

dib

My local  sports section  needs to cover hunting and fishing, I use to pick up the hawkeye at a gun and tackle shop,  1-2 pages is nice

681235[/snapback]

Savannah used to cover a lot on fishing, and some hunting. Coastal town.

Also a LOT of Golf coverage - something I haven't seen mentioned.

there is no "reporting" anymore.

everything is op/ed and commentary.

680939[/snapback]

The line has blurred, but I wouldn't go quite that far. Most papers still try to draw a distinct line between beat reporters and columnists.

Take the BuffNews Bills coverage -- you'll hardly ever see Gaughan or Wilson insert personal opinion into their beat coverage, or Sully write a just-the-facts gamer.

Chuck Pollock does both (and IMO a damn good job of keeping the gamer and column separate), but the Times Herald doesn't exactly have the same staffing as the News, either...

My local (small-town) dailies?

OTH: Bills/Sabres/Bonnies beats and tons of preps coverage; local racing and outdoor features. AP feeds for most other sports. Their annual football pullout beats the crap out of anything from the News.

My only quibble: they pick up most of their Penn State stuff from one of the Pittsburgh papers. In my opinion, that's like reading the NYC papers for Red Sox news...

Bradford Era: preps (as long as it's BAHS :P ), youth sports, local bowling scores, sometime Bonnies coverage, and AP for everything else. The 'Error' might have more local news in the front section, but I bet you can guess which one of the two I subscribe to.

The line

681347[/snapback]

Lori...off topic. what is your take on PSU player Ethan Kilmer, DB, selected at 7a by the B'gals?

The local paper says he's a notable ST'er (oddly, the B'gals drafted him with an RFA pick from HOU, for their signing of WR Kevin Walter, who was a fine ST player - and I think will be a good wr for them).

I understand Kilmer has played a bit of wr. I've no idea if he was a decent db, though.

Thanks!

Lori...off topic. what is your take on PSU player  Ethan Kilmer, DB, selected at 7a by the B'gals?

The local paper says he's a notable ST'er (oddly, the B'gals drafted him with an RFA pick from HOU, for their signing of WR Kevin Walter, who was a fine ST player - and I think will be a good wr for them).

I understand Kilmer has played a bit of wr. I've no idea if he was a decent db, though.

Thanks!

681372[/snapback]

I was surprised to see him listed as a DB, even though that's originally where he was slotted when he walked on. Played a little safety his junior year, but couldn't move up the depth chart. Switched to WR for his senior year and worked his way into a larger role after Derrick Williams was injured. EK was the unquestioned leader of the kick-coverage squads, and made several big-time catches last season (including a beautiful TD grab in the Orange Bowl).

Plus, I liked him because he wore Adam Taliaferro's #43. I hope he makes it.

August 2005: good preseason feature from the Daily Collegian

The Sentinel (Carlisle, PA): Kilmer delivers on special teams

pre-draft feature from Pgh. Post-Gazette

Harrisburg Patriot-News: Former PSU backup has shot at NFL

(bugmenot.com: zipcode 90210/d.o.b. 1901)

EK was the unquestioned leader of the kick-coverage squads, and made several big-time catches last season (including a beautiful TD grab in the Orange Bowl).

Plus, I liked him because he wore Adam Taliaferro's #43. I hope he makes it.

681494[/snapback]

Thanks. I think he will get a fair shake from Marvin et al. Departed WR Walter's (HOU signed him for 6.1M/4 years - nice boost for a 7th rounder) ST play left a big hole.

I'm interested to see how Walter does with HOU. IMO, he has a Wayne Chrebet pass-catching mindset.