What is the sport reporting like

dib

I was trying to find articles about the NHL playoffs this morning. I found them, eventually, tucked away on the last page below the kickball scores. I guess the philosophy at the Scum Sentinel is that if it didnt happen in South Florida, or it doesnt involve a South Florida team, well then it just didnt happen. Of course from 5 pm yesterday until 7 am this morning I had to listen to news about the "hate crime" against Jason Taylor.

The Dallas Morning News actually does a pretty good job in the sports department. You have to wade through all of the local stuff including a huge HS section and Pukes, No Goals :lol: , Rangers but it's there. Decent writers too, though most of the national stuff is off the wires.

I was trying to find articles about the NHL playoffs this morning.  I found them, eventually, tucked away on the last page below the kickball scores.  I guess the philosophy at the Scum Sentinel is that if it didnt happen in South Florida, or it doesnt involve a South Florida team, well then it just didnt happen.  Of course from 5 pm yesterday until 7 am this morning I had to listen to news about the "hate crime" against Jason Taylor.

680818[/snapback]

Still get the Washington Post, and I think the sports writing is excellant. Guys like Tom Boswell, Micheal Wilbon, Mike Wise , Kornheiser, Andrew Beyer, and the best writer of them all William Gildea, are all fantastic. If you have never read Gildeas pieces, do yourself a favor and pull them up. Not hard core sports stories, but the prose is top notch.Most of these guys are considered the top columnists, and I highly suggest you reister for the post on line and at least peruse it everyday. Not neccasrily for the beat reports, but like I said I do not think a paper in the country can touch their sports columnists.

Now my local paper' the Richmond Times Dispatch, lets just say Nascar(which i have beome a fan of) just like the Bills in the the BN. Put eh, why the hell should these guys care bout hockey. I would be willing to bet the hockey gets as much coverage here as Nascar or ACC football gets in Buffalo, and thats the way it should be.

Now, the local TV sports on the news is just unwatchable, as is the local sports radio. Got some guy from Buffalo on the radio here who asks a question, answers it himself, throws the question out there again, takes on call, commercial. Repeat for hrs. Thank god for XM

Here in Columbus, if it ain't Buckeye it is second class.  Feature writers are ok, but have their snoots up the OSU backside.

680922[/snapback]

You should at least be getting some decent draft anaylsis. OSU has become what Tennesee was for the Bills a few years ago.

In Cincy:

virtually no hockey coverage

very heavy high school sports coverage

lots of college BB.

coverage of college football

plenty of baseball

horse racing

For pro football - mostly AP wire stuff for teams other than the B'gals. The local writers are pretty much straight reporters - no zealotry or accusations. They did pen a bunch of funny stuff when the team went 0 for 12 years. :lol:

I get almost all my info off the web. Don't use any print. I can access the same articles from the computer as I can through the papers. Also makes it much easier to research someone elses local issues.

I was trying to find articles about the NHL playoffs this morning.  I found them, eventually, tucked away on the last page below the kickball scores.  I guess the philosophy at the Scum Sentinel is that if it didnt happen in South Florida, or it doesnt involve a South Florida team, well then it just didnt happen.  Of course from 5 pm yesterday until 7 am this morning I had to listen to news about the "hate crime" against Jason Taylor.

680818[/snapback]

Isn't this what the internet is for?

Packers on 2-3 of the 10 sports pages

local single A baseball team- results, feature, op ed 1-11/2 page

boys/ girls HS football, soccer, basketball or softball etc 1-2 pages

NBA- mostly the Bucks but game reviews from all games 1/2-1 page

MLB mostly Brewers but some Cubs stuff also 1 page

NASCAR 1/2-1 page

fishing, hunting, sturgeon spawning/spearing 1-2 pages

NHL on last 1/8th of last page stating who won and who scored- not even a writeup- i get my hockey news online

Rule of thumb- If you live outside the area where your team plays, don't ever count on anything close to satisfactory sports coverage. And the farther you are from your team the worse it gets! And if you leave the USA, forget about it altogether.

Thank God for the internet! :P

The Dallas Morning News actually does a pretty good job in the sports department.  You have to wade through all of the local stuff including a huge HS section and Pukes, No Goals :P , Rangers but it's there.  Decent writers too, though most of the national stuff is off the wires.

680873[/snapback]

I'd guess the coverage of the Friday night H.S. football games is immense there, in the news and on local tv sports. It is here, and likewise when I lived in Pittsburgh.

Here in Columbus, if it ain't Buckeye it is second class.  Feature writers are ok, but have their snoots up the OSU backside.

680922[/snapback]

Swap columbus for tallahassee and OSU for FSU and thats the sports around here.

FSU is covered to death, then comes local high school sports, then FAMU.

Hockey? HA! they dont know what the sport is down here. A few years ago, they basically would have a sentence of 2 to something of this effect. "The Tampa Bay lightning, a National Hockey League team, is trying to win something called the Stanley Cup."

Packers on 2-3 of the 10 sports pages

local single A baseball team- results, feature, op ed 1-11/2 page

boys/ girls HS football, soccer, basketball or softball etc 1-2 pages

NBA- mostly the Bucks but game reviews from all games 1/2-1 page

MLB mostly Brewers but some Cubs stuff also 1 page

NASCAR 1/2-1 page

fishing, hunting, sturgeon spawning/spearing 1-2 pages

NHL on last 1/8th of last page stating who won and who scored- not even a writeup- i get my hockey news online

681159[/snapback]

My local sports section needs to cover hunting and fishing, I use to pick up the hawkeye at a gun and tackle shop, 1-2 pages is nice