another probable reason for the bills staying at 8

all three wanted whitner, miami especially. if the bills moved to 14 or 15, miami could have traded up to get him. instead, they ended up with allen, who is allegedly inferior to whitner. if they had traded with, say, denver at 15, it would have been relatively easy for any of those teams to jump ahead of the bills. also, the fact that parcells, belichick, and saban loved the guy speaks volumes.

all three wanted whitner, miami especially. if the bills moved to 14 or 15, miami could have traded up to get him. instead, they ended up with allen, who is allegedly inferior to whitner. if they had traded with, say, denver at 15, it would have been relatively easy for any of those teams to jump ahead of the bills. also, the fact that parcells, belichick, and saban loved the guy speaks volumes.

679426[/snapback]

Allen is also recovering from a dislocated hip. The dropoff and risk here in waiting to take Whitner were big. Same with McCargo--the next choice at DT on the Bills talent board (not the charachter board) was an alleged drug trafficker...You can accuse the braintrust of being conservative but I think time will tell that they made bold moves to get the guys they wanted and guys that fit the system.

Whether they can play or not...well the draft is a crapshoot....lets hope we rolled a pair of sevens..

679426[/snapback]

But..but...but Mort said no one was going to take Whitner after us no matter what anyone else may say... :)

Allen is also recovering from a dislocated hip.  The dropoff and risk here in waiting to take Whitner were big.  Same with McCargo--the next choice at DT on the Bills talent board (not the charachter board) was an alleged drug trafficker...You can accuse the braintrust of being conservative but I think time will tell that they made bold moves to get the guys they wanted and guys that fit the system.

Whether they can play or not...well the draft is a crapshoot....lets hope we rolled a pair of sevens..

679584[/snapback]

Its easier for a player to succeed when he is playing and practicing regularly, not having to worry about or missing games/practice for his pending court dates.

Thanks.

I've been too busy to listen to all of Belichick's post-draft press conferences, so I thought he'd revealed something about their draft board without me knowing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whitner was on Belichick's radar, though. He seems like a solid guy, and Belichick loves versatility in his defensive backfield.

No one seemed to be in a rush for Leinart... and Detroit passed him up too... why are we the only ones getting crap?

679994[/snapback]

Xactly man! Leinhart would have a phenomenal career if he played in a domed stadium. The Lions deserve the most blame.

No one seemed to be in a rush for Leinart... and Detroit passed him up too... why are we the only ones getting crap?

679994[/snapback]

That's probably a bad example....I mean, look who's running the Lions.

That said, everyone will get crap if Leinart gets to Pro Bowl form by his second season. It'll be all over ESPN how Detroit, Buffalo, the Jets, et al, passed on him.