Diswasher Help?

First off, me no handyman. But, I got a 3 yr old diswasher and no water coming out of the sprayer. Before I call the repair guys, any body got any simple suggestions I might try.

Don't know if it matters , but its a KitchenAid.

First off, me no handyman. But, I got a 3 yr old diswasher and no water coming out of the sprayer. Before I call the repair guys, any body got any simple suggestions I might try.

679286[/snapback]

You probably have debris clogging the spray arm. Do you clean the spooge off plates and stuff before you put them in the washer?

679286[/snapback]

Sounds to me like the problem is you got your 3 yr old doing the job. Put the little tyke back in the playpen and tell the wifey to get back in the kitchen and wash the dishes!!! ;)

679286[/snapback]

My first guess is that the solenoid that opens the water valve is malfunctioning. I'll assume you have no other problems elsewhere with hot or cold supply flow. Perhaps the latch/door switch and electric circuit that allow activation of the solenoid is sending a false signal that the door is not properly secured, or something in that mechanism is faulty ???

If the ports on the spray mechanism were clogging up, you would have noticed progressive performance diminishment.

Does the operator's manual offer any info? AFAIK, Kitchen Aid is a reputable brand.

My first guess is that the solenoid that opens the water valve is malfunctioning. I'll assume you have no other problems elsewhere with hot or cold supply flow. Perhaps the  latch/door switch and electric circuit that allow activation of the solenoid is sending a false signal that the door is not properly secured, or something in that mechanism is faulty ???

If the ports on the spray mechanism were clogging up, you would have noticed progressive performance diminishment.

Does the operator's manual offer any info? AFAIK, Kitchen Aid is a reputable brand.

679565[/snapback]

I second the valve solenoid.

Oh, c'mon. You just like using the word solenoid in a sentence. :)

679809[/snapback]

I was going to point out that it was May 1st, and that he needed to offer it a couple tortillas, but I was afraid someone would think it insensitive.

679286[/snapback]

Try a tennis ball in the plug hole. :)

I was going to point out that it was May 1st, and that he needed to offer it a couple tortillas, but I was afraid someone would think it insensitive.

679811[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking! Better get it fixed because all the people who "do the jobs Americans won't do" won't help you today! :)

I second the valve solenoid.

679575[/snapback]

Now that I think of it, given the youth of the unit, there are likely two - a cold circuit blending into a common manifold for energy savings. So another place to look - a failure in the little chips and their wiring, that mediate the two flows. I'd guess the failure mode is no flow whatsoever. Dunno.

It's all ball bearings nowadays. Prepare the Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. You're gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Sorry, I don't know jack about dishwashers.

679811[/snapback]

Solenoid? Those things hurt like hell. Try some preparation H and sit in a warm bath.