Who thinks we can win this year?

I’m happy with this draft.

No one who follows the Bills seriously thinks we can win this year. Even the most idealized draft would not have helped us win this year. Anyone who thought on Friday night that the draft could make us win this year was/is nuts.

We took two strong key players at need positions with those first 2 picks, then got a couple of talented potential playmakers.

Call me crazy, but I'm happy as a little schoolgirl with the Whitner pick. I know Huff is a freak athlete, but I don't trust Texas players after MW. Seams to me like Whitner will be the sharp hard worker that we need. I think the likelyhood that Whitner is successful is equal to or better than the likelyhood that Huff succeeds.

Overall, looking over the whole draft, I love it. McCargo is a risk, but seems like he could be a beast. Youboty and Simpson are seriously talented playmakers who should be real upgrades to our D by 2007 with some good coaching.

The only pick I don't like is Butler. That cheap shot artist just doesn't fit.

With a few more FA pickups and an offensively focused draft next year, we should be in good shape. This draft was a step toward a bright future.

I’m happy with this draft. 

No one who follows the Bills seriously thinks we can win this year.  Even the most idealized draft would not have helped us win this year.  Anyone who thought on Friday night that the draft could make us win this year was/is nuts. 

We took two strong key players at need positions with those first 2 picks, then got a couple of talented potential playmakers.

Call me crazy, but I'm happy as a little schoolgirl with the Whitner pick.  I know Huff is a freak athlete, but I don't trust Texas players after MW.  Seams to me like Whitner will be the sharp hard worker that we need.  I think the likelyhood that Whitner is successful is equal to or better than the likelyhood that Huff succeeds.

Overall, looking over the whole draft, I love it.  McCargo is a risk, but seems like he could be a beast.  Youboty and Simpson are seriously talented playmakers who should be real upgrades to our D by 2007 with some good coaching.

The only pick I don't like is Butler.  That cheap shot artist just doesn't fit.

With a few more FA pickups and an offensively focused draft next year, we should be in good shape.  This draft was a step toward a bright future.

679150[/snapback]

1) I agree with you on Huff. I'd much rather have Whitner--an OSU product--based on school alone.

2) I thought we should have drafted Watson instead of Simpson in round 4--but long term, Simpson might be the better pick.

3) But I disagree that the Bills can't win right now. I think people underestimate the significance of losing Takeo last year. The reason this defense fell from #2 to #29 was because we lost Takeo. Even w/o a good run-stuffing d-line or a playmaking safety, if we had had Takeo, we would have still been solid (just not spectacular). With these new additions and Takeo's return, I fully expect this to be a top 10 unit. We play good defense and run the ball and we'll win some games--just look at the Bears last year.

You have to define win. Do you mean play .500 ball? It's going to be very difficult and that fact has nothing to do with this draft.

Our QB is either going to be a first year or second year starter and our offensive line is going to be below average. That alone probably makes us a losing team. Now on defense, we're going to be very inexperienced with two rookies in the defensive line rotation. We also don't have a single player on the line that's going to be dominant at the point of attack. Add in a new coaching staff, new schemes to learn, inexperience playing with each other... Realistically, this is going to be a bad season.

The upside of this is that if the Bills somehow play better than expected, you'll know that we're very close to contending because we're a young team that should continue to improve over the next couple of years.

I like your optomism. I wish I could agree, but I can't. I think our defense will be tough this year with Spikes back, but I don't believe it'll be good enough to carry our O. It'll just be too young.

Now in '07, our offense should be less inept, and our defense will have meaningful experience. That team will be closer to last year's Bears (and hopefully better).

Ozy, I'd define "win" as seriously contend for a title. Lets say make the playoffs and earn it for now.

I really never thought they would win in 2006, regardless of how this draft went. I do think this draft makes '07 look much better.

B word? I said call me crazy not a crazy B word, you B word.

I'm thinking it doesn't do any good pissing and moaning all off season when the NFL is WIDE OPEN when it comes to the competition, it's not like MLB where the Devil Rays and Brewers never have a chance. Any given sunday any team can win. ;)

Its possible. Our defense is gonna be awesome! They are gonna score lots of points and negate some great offenses. It all depends on how our oline does. We have a shot to be very good IMO. We shall see.........

We were an underachieving poorly coached team last year. Marv trimmed alot of the players that didn't want to give 100% all game and brought in some young hungry players. It didn't matter who we drafted, I still think Buffalo has a chance at being a good team this year. Not a SB team, but a team that will probably be on the brink of playoff contention til the last week

I think we go 7-9. We have some good people in the right places and that makes a big difference. I liked the draft but like everyone else I think we reached a little. Whiyner is going to be a good player for years to come. I am not ruling out a winning season, but I just want to see these guys go in the right direction. Our bad season lastyear had alot to do with our coaching staff and the lack of control of the team. This will not happen with our new regime. GO BILLS!!.